Air Jordan 13 "Flint" May 30, 2020

Need to do some touch ups to my 05s. Going to try to double up on these so long as they’re done right.

All time favorite kicks right here. :smokin

Yeah this is a double up for me too...JB saying these will be as close to OG as any released so far so there’s that...Hopefully the end up near 1:1...

Yeah I'm optimistic as well. After reading the information they've put out so far it sounds pretty promising.

I have an OG pair at my mom's house. I'll dig them up next time I visit and post up some pics in here.

Putting the challenge out there to my fellow NT’ers...I’ve only ever seen this pic of Mike wearing the Flints...Just a grainy magazine clipping that I found probably 20 years ago now...I know there has to be more out there but I’ve never personally been able to find them...

FFBFDF9F-0870-4A88-A7A0-10EA3461AD2A.png

Putting the challenge out there to my fellow NT’ers...I’ve only ever seen this pic of Mike wearing the Flints...Just a grainy magazine clipping that I found probably 20 years ago now...I know there has to be more out there but I’ve never personally been able to find them...

Nope. You won this thread sir. I’m 36 and I’ve never seen this.

This might be literally the only pic out there of MJ wearing these. This is a first for me.

Hopefully this new Netflix show has some decent shots...Since it follows the team for the whole season...

There’s got to be more out there somewhere...I feel like there was others I’d seen on early NT day’s...Probably around the same time I found this one so 1999 - 2000 or so...

The flints were meant to be his all star shoe if I’m not mistaken? It was like a rather last minute thing when players found out they’d be rocking their actual jerseys again for the all star game

Hopefully this new Netflix show has some decent shots...Since it follows the team for the whole season...

There’s got to be more out there somewhere...I feel like there was others I’d seen on early NT day’s...Probably around the same time I found this one so 1999 - 2000 or so...
There is a good chance we will. Lots of unseen footage coming with that documentary. Personally cant wait to see it.

The flints were meant to be his all star shoe if I’m not mistaken? It was like a rather last minute thing when players found out they’d be rocking their actual jerseys again for the all star game

That’s the way I’ve always thought about it...Same for the Obsidian XII’s...Just that the NBA switched things up and had the players wear their team uniforms...

It’s funny though because thinking back on it...Mike didn’t really wear those off color pairs for the All Star Game but for a couple of times...

1986 - Chicago I’s
1987 - White / Red II’s
1988 - Cement III’s
1989 - Black / Cement IV’s
1990 - Metallic V’s
1991 - Infrared VI’s
1992 - Bordeaux VII’s
1993 - Aqua VIII’s
1994 - Retired
1995 - Didn’t come back until March 18th
1996 - Columbia XI’s
1997 - Playoff XII’s
1998 - Playoff XIII’s
2002 - Lightening XVII
2003 - White / Sport Royal XVIII - Would’ve been the Black / Sport Royal pair but Kevin Garnett (If I remember right) took them before the game started...

More often than not he wore the shoes he’d eventually hit the playoffs wearing...

The real question I’ve always wondered is what he would’ve worn in ‘94 and ‘95...Olives or Charcoals, Shadows or a pair from the city pack...Too bad we’ll never know...

Another thing too...Up until the XI’s the All Star Game was where the new models saw their debut...It got changed up for some reason for the XI’s...I like to think Nike got smashed with inquiries as to when the model was dropping after he wore them in the 1995 ECF’s...They rushed them into production and had them out by the holiday lineup that year...Pure speculation on my part but there was legit news reports on those when he wore them...Hype was real and Nike capitalized on it...

Anyway anyway anyway...back to the Flint XIII’s...Pictures of Mike wearing them people...We need to see it...

There is a good chance we will. Lots of unseen footage coming with that documentary. Personally cant wait to see it.

That’s what I’m thinking too...Has to have a bunch of practice footage of Mike giving everybody a hard time...I bet there’s some shots in there...

That’s the way I’ve always thought about it...Same for the Obsidian XII’s...Just that the NBA switched things up and had the players wear their team uniforms...

It’s funny though because thinking back on it...Mike didn’t really wear those off color pairs for the All Star Game but for a couple of times...

1986 - Chicago I’s
1987 - White / Red II’s
1988 - Cement III’s
1989 - Black / Cement IV’s
1990 - Metallic V’s
1991 - Infrared VI’s
1992 - Bordeaux VII’s
1993 - Aqua VIII’s
1994 - Retired
1995 - Didn’t come back until March 18th
1996 - Columbia XI’s
1997 - Playoff XII’s
1998 - Playoff XIII’s
2002 - Lightening XVII
2003 - White / Sport Royal XVIII - Would’ve been the Black / Sport Royal pair but Kevin Garnett (If I remember right) took them before the game started...

More often than not he wore the shoes he’d eventually hit the playoffs wearing...

The real question I’ve always wondered is what he would’ve worn in ‘94 and ‘95...Olives or Charcoals, Shadows or a pair from the city pack...Too bad we’ll never know...

Another thing too...Up until the XI’s the All Star Game was where the new models saw their debut...It got changed up for some reason for the XI’s...I like to think Nike got smashed with inquiries as to when the model was dropping after he wore them in the 1995 ECF’s...They rushed them into production and had them out by the holiday lineup that year...Pure speculation on my part but there was legit news reports on those when he wore them...Hype was real and Nike capitalized on it...

Anyway anyway anyway...back to the Flint XIII’s...Pictures of Mike wearing them people...We need to see it...

Definitely things I think about as well :lol: I feel like Nike and Tinker got a ton of confidence in Air Jordan’s after Mike’s first championship and allowed Tinker to go crazy with colors which is where Bordeaux’s and Aqua’s were conceived from along with the standard Chicago Bulls colors. When Mike retired, Jordan sales fell and when Mike came back they skyrocketed again so putting him in a new model sooner became the objective. As far as what he would’ve wore for the 9’s and 10’s in terms of all star we probably would’ve gotten different colorways than the ones we did or an additional colorway. If it the options were between existing colorways I would imagine either olive 9’s for the ‘94 All Star game and either Steel 10’s for the 95 ASG or if Mike was really ready to get icey on them, Sacramento 10’s or some PE exclusive Sac 10 that had an orange Jumpman on the sole to go with those purple jersey’s the East had to wear. What could’ve been...

But like stated, this thread is devoted to the greatness that is the Flint 13’s :lol:

When you examine it, the True Blue, Militarys, Grapes and Sport Blues weren't the colorways released when the models first dropped, Bordeauxs and Aquas were.

One other thing, the release time changed with the IX, which dropped in November 1993. He literally retired the month before, so there would be no reason to wait until All-Star. One thing I always wondered though is if they were always going to make the switch to the beginning of the season, because if they weren't, they should've had another colorway of the VIII ready to go for the beginning of the season. But we've never seen or heard of said shoe.

Who knows...

When you examine it, the True Blue, Militarys, Grapes and Sport Blues weren't the colorways released when the models first dropped, Bordeauxs and Aquas were.

One other thing, the release time changed with the IX, which dropped in November 1993. He literally retired the month before, so there would be no reason to wait until All-Star. One thing I always wondered though is if they were always going to make the switch to the beginning of the season, because if they weren't, they should've had another colorway of the VIII ready to go for the beginning of the season. But we've never seen or heard of said shoe.

Who knows...

Good points...I still think the switch was done to capitalize on MJ’s name and marketability by pushing the IX out while his name was still out there fresh in the public minds...They were clearly thinking it wouldn’t hold into his retirement since they told Tinker to dead the line, which he carried on designing for on his own...Probably wanted to get the IX some recognition since he wouldn’t be seen wearing it...

But yeah VIII’s were a colorway short...Probably because of pushing the IX stuff...Always thought this sample might’ve been the fourth...PS sample is the only one I’ve ever seen...

2088680A-E8E6-45B0-86F0-1191372417B2.jpeg
1AAE5835-5374-4E3E-9BF9-EF3B1697D06E.jpeg
DAC132D7-153C-4D7C-935A-71EC177B7467.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely things I think about as well :lol: I feel like Nike and Tinker got a ton of confidence in Air Jordan’s after Mike’s first championship and allowed Tinker to go crazy with colors which is where Bordeaux’s and Aqua’s were conceived from along with the standard Chicago Bulls colors. When Mike retired, Jordan sales fell and when Mike came back they skyrocketed again so putting him in a new model sooner became the objective. As far as what he would’ve wore for the 9’s and 10’s in terms of all star we probably would’ve gotten different colorways than the ones we did or an additional colorway. If it the options were between existing colorways I would imagine either olive 9’s for the ‘94 All Star game and either Steel 10’s for the 95 ASG or if Mike was really ready to get icey on them, Sacramento 10’s or some PE exclusive Sac 10 that had an orange Jumpman on the sole to go with those purple jersey’s the East had to wear. What could’ve been...

But like stated, this thread is devoted to the greatness that is the Flint 13’s :lol:

You’re spot on with this assessment, the design and OG cws of the 9s and 10s is far more conservative than the designs of the 7s, 8s, 11s, 12s, and 13s, respectively. I wonder if Nike limited the design and cws of the 9s and 10s for the reasons you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom