Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX)

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 1.29.25ā€ÆPM.png

They put white paint on an air jordan 29 and had players do cross steps repeatedly . And used the design it made on the 39. No i didnā€™t make that up.

Yeah, regardless of how they came up with that pattern and what it supposedly represents, it just looks like some meaningless random camo print or wacky topography map of some unknown country or planet. It's the part of this shoe I dislike the most, followed by ...

Looking forward to these but not gone lie I could have done without the cantaloupe slice on the midsole.

The whole U-shaped profile of the midsole keeps bothering me. Makes the shoe remind me of those old Skechers "rocker" shoes or whatever they were called.

Watching that video again. Literally looks like they got 2 goofballs off the street to talk about this shoe. They really need to start over and stop taking cues off the model 30 years prior. They literally say the same **** every year. These are $200 and the ant 1 low is $110. Unreal.
Man, these scripted interviews leave so much meat on the bone as far as questions. Nevermind the fact he said he went to Nike/JB offices (like any normal person could do that) and then doubts they will watch the video. We really donā€™t believe they wouldnā€™t like to see how their flagship product is represented?

I would have had questions like the 29 is a 10 year old shoe, howā€™d it hold up for the cross step or whatever was being tested? Did yā€™all have the test model constructed recently? At this point the flagship model is about performance and weā€™ve pretty much accepted that, but with going with a drop in midsole, arenā€™t you concerned with alienating consumers who wear orthotics? They arenā€™t Jordan brand members who can get a drop in midsole molded to their foot, like the Jordan Brand members do. Does every outsole on this model have to be translucent so that the jumpman can be seen? What about the folks who donā€™t have the best courts for translucent outsoles. Is there going to be a PF model that can address this potentially?

Just very technical questions and not the softballs in that video.

The more I look at em they almost feel like a canned Fear of God design. Trying to look like a runner. Especially that thick sole. I understand why as thatā€™s whatā€™s trendy with young folks.

With each passing year my God Tinker was a genius.

The 36 and 35 were the last decent ones to me.

My first thought. And view from the top of the toe box looks like the 38. The whole "29 painted patina influence" seems dumb when that design was done on the Zion 3.

Looks more like an iteration of the 38 than a whole new shoe. Not terrible. Zion's might look better though.
Thatā€™s what I been saying. Just a blander version of the 38 with slightly better cushioning? I also agree the design team needs a change of direction/leader. 38 was solid but those 37s were trash and now these. Not trending well for the sig line. Reminds me of that super trash 2009-2012 era

I like that they went in a different direction for something ā€œsimpleā€ in design a premium with materials. But I have to say itā€™s interesting that they used the 29 as a test shoe because it almost feels like what happened with the line during that 28-30 release stretch. Itā€™s like they phoned it in until the 31 with a new design language. Iā€™m wondering if this is more of a ā€œsetupā€ to something bigger with the 40 coming? Launch it now, take advantage of the Olympics for visibility along with a rushed release schedule to move faster into the 40..
1713852796473.png

On the court with the right socks and shorts they can look clean Iā€™m sure. Maybe even in tech fleece. But 98% of the time of my life personallyā€¦I probably wonā€™t wear em tbh.

I like that they went in a different direction for something ā€œsimpleā€ in design a premium with materials. But I have to say itā€™s interesting that they used the 29 as a test shoe because it almost feels like what happened with the line during that 28-30 release stretch. Itā€™s like they phoned it in until the 31 with a new design language. Iā€™m wondering if this is more of a ā€œsetupā€ to something bigger with the 40 coming? Launch it now, take advantage of the Olympics for visibility along with a rushed release schedule to move faster into the 40..
1713852796473.png
Have to respectfully disagree with the notion JB and Tinker phoned in the designs of the 29-30. Maybe for the 30 with the same midsole as the 29 but the 28 & 29 were 2 of the best performing Jā€™s of all time. I donā€™t think people realize just how innovative the 28 & 29 were. Irregardless, if you didnā€™t like them visually, cool. They certainly didnā€™t phone them in because there are way worse looking and performing shoes in the lineup by far.

As far as new design language goes, the 31 was the start of Tate Kuerbis and his 2nd run of designs for the sig shoe. I think his last shoe was the 36. After that the 37-39 all had multiple lead designers.

So for the 40 and the return of Jason Mayden as the chief designer officer for JB, we are more likely going to get more premium based Jordan sigs starting with the 39. Iā€™m basing that on Maydens previous designs. Iā€™m also basing the premium aspect on the fact that MJ became more involved in the design of the 39 than he has in a while, imo because they past few sigs have been way over done from a visual aspect and have lacked that premium touch that MJ prefers.

They look super boring, which implies that they will be performance beasts. Herringbone pattern and ZoomX - if I still played ball, Iā€™d be in for a pair. But alas, I wonā€™t pay retail now as itā€™s a bit much to pay considering all I do on the court now is run drills or rebound for my kid and her teammates.

I really think the flagship model of the Air Jordan should stop at 45
MJ: ''45 is a bad luck number dawg''

They should shoot for 50!

As in 50 points game, 50 score in the dunk contest, there's your inspiration.

Make a shoe that's ahead of its time and make it the greatest shoe ever, that's what the shoe line deserves for its last run, regardless of the final retail price, just shoot for the moon!

Start working on the project 5 years ahead, bring back Tinker hoping he's got one more miracle up his sleeve as I'm sure he still does if given enough time.

Meanwhile there is still plenty good inspiration to explore to fill the gap. I like the general idea/ direction they're trying to put into matter, it's just that the delivery is not always on point...just like a basketball game, you miss some shots, yes you always strive for perfection but in the process you make some that aren't perfect, but who cares it's still a step in the right direction and last time I checked every basket counts, even when it's not pretty, you are moving forwards towards your goal every time, you still gotta keep pushing if you wanna win the game, eventually the sum of your best efforts combined, the end result will be the one you were truly looking for. And through all of those struggle baskets, from time to time, true magic happens.

They should continue to push for perfection and I feel like they deserve our continual support still, for all they've given us over the years, plus for all of the younger generations that The Last Dance inspired, they will be 20-30 years old by the time the AJ 50 come out so...I truly see them getting inspired by the shoes just like we do and I see them young basketball players embracing greatness, needing greatness to go with their game.

Last edited:
I think they should go to 50 and stop. Honestly they should of sticked with the year models like how they were doing before the XX8. These new performance flagships just feel different than 1-23 to me. I had the Jordan 2011 in high school and they were great hooping shoes. Gave me concord vibes.

Iā€™m not really sure that works for a brand if they still have a roster of athletes wearing the product professionally.

People are going to stop playing basketball in 2030?

The flagship model has consistently gone on sale for the last 10 years. There's excitement for it initially but that excitement falls flat soon after and they end up being heavily discounted.

They can create a new Jordan model every year but I don't think it should be the flagship number. Also, why are there so many colorways releasing off the jump? Have one or two colors.

Furthermore, there's no consistency on which athlete continues to wear it once that said athlete gets their own signature. Tatum, Zion, Luka and Paolo will most likely be the next. It's hard deviating from the man behind the Jumpman. I don't know about you guys but I could care less about a Tatum, Zion or Luka pair under Brand Jordan.

They should shoot for 50!

What about 69 which is his highest point total? **** it lol.

The flagship model has consistently gone on sale for the last 10 years. There's excitement for it initially but that excitement falls flat soon after and they end up being heavily discounted.

They can create a new Jordan model every year but I don't think it should be the flagship number. Also, why are there so many colorways releasing off the jump? Have one or two colors.

Furthermore, there's no consistency on which athlete continues to wear it once that said athlete gets their own signature. Tatum, Zion, Luka and Paolo will most likely be the next. It's hard deviating from the man behind the Jumpman. I don't know about you guys but I could care less about a Tatum, Zion or Luka pair under Brand Jordan.

What about 69 which is his highest point total? **** it lol.
Did they announce theyā€™re all going on sale at once? They said thereā€™s only going to be 9 cws so they toned it down for this model.

JB is going to release a main performance shoe every year whether you call it a number in the line or not. Seems like a bunch of semantics to me.

Back
Top Bottom