Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX)

I don't know about y'all, I'm interested to see if the Pelicans can hold on until Zion gets back, and I want to watch some games with Anthony Edwards, but I watch The Last Dance and Jordan YouTube videos more than I watch the NBA. I look forward to the new Jordan every year it's an obsession. I hope they never stop

Did they announce they’re all going on sale at once? They said there’s only going to be 9 cws so they toned it down for this model.

JB is going to release a main performance shoe every year whether you call it a number in the line or not. Seems like a bunch of semantics to me.

I'm just noting the pattern of purchase and community behavior with the flagship models over the years. They might as well discount them all at once.

Over the last 10 years, the only shoes that are referenced as performance beasts are the 28 and 29. From 30 up until now, the shoes have been forgettable. Am I wrong? What Jordan in the last 10 years have made people think man....I need that to come back out?

I'm just noting the pattern of purchase and community behavior with the flagship models over the years. They might as well discount them all at once.

Over the last 10 years, the only shoes that are referenced as performance beasts are the 28 and 29. From 30 up until now, the shoes have been forgettable. Am I wrong? What Jordan in the last 10 years have made people think man....I need that to come back out?
I thought a lot of people enjoyed the 34 and 36 on court. They both have solid reviews over a lot of wear.

No disagreement about discounts, but I think their sales still beat out a number of modern basketball shoes.

It’s just my opinion that a brand is going to have a signature shoe and it’s a matter of semantics if it’s a numbered Jordan or not. Really changes nothing about the shoe existing. And I’m in no way bothered by any Jb sig carrying the number. None of them have any direct relation to MJ after he retired.

I think they definitely took the smallest cheats form the 9 and made the shoe a story in itself, which makes it almost a. Completely clean sheet design,.... Add to that the MJ had input into it, I think they did it the right way!!!..... Everyone who has tried the shoe on says it's no real need of a break in time, the shoe is solid and comfortable from the moment you put it on,.... Which is a plus! As for using the 29 as I heard it I was the only premium solid construction shoe that Jordan Brand has access to And it was covered in white paint for MJ'S Cross Step move he uses during plays that gave the paint pilling effect, MJ liked it so much that he wanted it used on thr upper of the shoe! Again the shoe tells a new story completely, and I'm anxious to get a pair and see how they feel

Last edited:
I can't wait until the Air Jordan 139 comes out but we'll all be dead by then.
Well what’s the difference between the reto( whatever number) and the yearly signature shoe? Because the younger generations have zero attachment to MJ from his playing days. He hasn’t played in 21 years.
There might as well be a yearly sig with the latest tech that represents MJ from a mainstream/sneaker culture perspective to the younger generations. If you’re gonna say stop the yearly sig, which is a ridiculous notion especially when Jordan’s make up a significant portion of Nikes profits. Why not just stop making Jordan’s period? You’re essentially saying JB/Nike, from a business standpoint, should get rid of a product so they can make less money?

Dude, you can answer whichever question or not but you’re coming in here trying to rationalize illogical thoughts. Make it make sense lol

The flagship model has consistently gone on sale for the last 10 years. There's excitement for it initially but that excitement falls flat soon after and they end up being heavily discounted.
I hear ya but at the time of mom and pops stores in the 80's and 90's it wasn't any different and there were always Jordans from the previous year and sometimes prior on store shelves even at FL, so I really don't see why it does matter? J's SHOULD be available to any basketball player that wants a pair, especially when there are so many exclusive stuff for anyone else wanting to make a status statement with the highly exclusive stuff.

On top of that there has never been so many retros AND every year that goes on there's a great new model that adds to that list, so yeah it's no surprise that they have to be on discount at some point. In the end Nike still makes more money overall with that global strategy and we get more opportunities to buy the shoes we dream about. Nobody complains for paying less...and if it provides the opportunity for someone to afford something they wouldn't be able to afford, especially youngsters or less privileged kids, where's the harm?
They can create a new Jordan model every year but I don't think it should be the flagship number. Also, why are there so many colorways releasing off the jump? Have one or two colors.
Interesting point but again please allow me to disagree here, if you look at soccer shoes and soccer is even bigger than basketball on a global scale as a sport, issuing colorways of their flagship models(CR and others) every 2-3-4 weeks has been the trend for even longer and I'd say it was about time JB catch up with that. The Air Jordan is the pinnacle of basketball shoes and for Nike and I never understood why soccer shoes got a special treatment by marketing people at Nike that Jordan shoes didn't get at first. In my view they finally did the right thing in the end and I am not gonna complain about it. There's

Furthermore, there's no consistency on which athlete continues to wear it once that said athlete gets their own signature. Tatum, Zion, Luka and Paolo will most likely be the next. It's hard deviating from the man behind the Jumpman. I don't know about you guys but I could care less about a Tatum, Zion or Luka pair under Brand Jordan.
That I agree 1000%

Last edited:
Well what’s the difference between the reto( whatever number) and the yearly signature shoe? Because the younger generations have zero attachment to MJ from his playing days. He hasn’t played in 21 years.
There might as well be a yearly sig with the latest tech that represents MJ from a mainstream/sneaker culture perspective to the younger generations. If you’re gonna say stop the yearly sig, which is a ridiculous notion especially when Jordan’s make up a significant portion of Nikes profits. Why not just stop making Jordan’s period? You’re essentially saying JB/Nike, from a business standpoint, should get rid of a product so they can make less money?

Dude, you can answer whichever question or not but you’re coming in here trying to rationalize illogical thoughts. Make it make sense lol
Yeah I agree, I don't think they should stop making the annual sig shoe, but I do think there should be more emphasis on creating a premium design and performance product like his "legacy" shoes that he played in. I think we have all gotten pasted what we would pay for an exceptional product/experience, but it really feels sometimes like that acceptance is being taken for granted if not preyed upon..

The flagship model has consistently gone on sale for the last 10 years. There's excitement for it initially but that excitement falls flat soon after and they end up being heavily discounted.

They can create a new Jordan model every year but I don't think it should be the flagship number. Also, why are there so many colorways releasing off the jump? Have one or two colors.

Furthermore, there's no consistency on which athlete continues to wear it once that said athlete gets their own signature. Tatum, Zion, Luka and Paolo will most likely be the next. It's hard deviating from the man behind the Jumpman. I don't know about you guys but I could care less about a Tatum, Zion or Luka pair under Brand Jordan.

Do you play basketball?

The biggest thing about NT is that too many people can't think beyond themselves. If it were up to NT the Jordan 1 mid and team Jordan's wouldn't exist and they sell a ton of those, many on sale. So they should stop the Dub Zero or Air Jordan True Flight, because NT doesn't like them.

Many young kids have Zion, Tatum or Luka as their favorite player and wear their jerseys. Just like they would wear a Giannis or Lebron.

Some people like new iterations. You type as if it bothers you for some reason. Just ignore it and buy what you like. They aren't making sneakers for you if you aren't hooping. They're making sneakers for that 10 year old, so in 20 years they might want a Luka retroed.

Why is a running sneaker company making all these basketball kicks that are going on sale, they should just stick with running.

34 and 36 are big time performers on courts

32,35,37 ain't bad at all as far as performance is concerned.

33 still has the best outsole on slippery indoor courts

38 can't say for myself cause I still cannot walk yet so I haven't been able to try 'em on court but I look fwd to it and I can't wait, but according to many people here, reviews all over and my own players, they perform great. The sole splitting thing is a different matter, but even then as far as performance goes, they're 🔥🔥🔥

And if they're on disco, so be it, people just get more for their money! Again 🔥!

To answer your question, looks is subjective, but as a basketball player and as far as performance is concerned I'd buy any retro 28, 29, 30, 32 low, 34,35,36 in a heartbeat. 31's if they give it a protro treatment with the outsole. 33 and 37 maybe not for me personally...but I could say the same for the 9, 10, 21 and other classics to some extent in regards to on court performance but I see no one complaining about their legacy in the whole lineup or whatever when they retro.

Last edited:
34 and 36 are big time performers on courts

32,35,37 ain't bad at all as far as performance is concerned.

33 still has the best outsole on slippery indoor courts
34's actually looked nice too. Kinda gave me some hope that the designs moving forward from those would be better.. Those post 20/23(sig) years were some lean years.. LOL(IMO)!

Jordan as still relies on nostalgia from MJ's playing days to sell/market shoes. Hell they are relying on it even more with this one.

They have failed repeatedly to deliver a shoe that has mass market casual appeal

They don't really have the appeal of being a sorta luxury offering among Nike's other shoes

All it really has going for it is claiming they use cushioning setups that are cutting edge, and hoopers like it. (Which I find a flimsy argument because most people I know that hoop regularly just wait until certain Nike models go on sale and hit outlets. They are not eager to drop $200 for shoes they are gonna be at up. But that is a discussion for another day)

Since we are getting further and further away from MJ's playing days and the last kids that remember him on the Bulls are entering their 40s, I think it would be fine if they wrap up the line.

They can still drop a $200 performance focused shoe whenever they like. And focus on the tech to market them. Since that is really the main, and sometimes only thing, their mainline shoe has going for it.

Best official c/w so far. Still not enough to cop. These look like $130 (really $80, if I'm being honest) team Js

Screenshot_20240422_110131_Brave.jpg

It’s been like a decade since any modern performance basketball shoe had mass appeal. People act like this is happening in a bubble. Very few people casually wearing today’s shoes off the court.

Best official c/w so far. Still not enough to cop. These look like $130 (really $80, if I'm being honest) team Js

Screenshot_20240422_110131_Brave.jpg
Would you look at that shoe and think that it has Nikes most advanced foam found in its top elite marathon shoes? Would you look at that shoe and think it has Nikes most successful and best air cushion set up(zoom)in the bottom of the zoomx? Perspective can go either way with this sig…

Last edited:
Nobody said stop making a yearly performance model. I am a hooper and love performance basketball shoes. However, the line should of stopped with the XX3. You can argue semantics, but we are freaking sneakerheads for crying out loud, we got people complain about toe box slants on shoes we are going to crease anyway. As a lifelong fan of Michael Jordan and his playing career, having an air jordan 39 that looks like a yeezy 380 is just ridiculous. Who's the NBA face that wears the sig model anyway? I see kids in tatums and lukas more than the sig. ..cuz they ball out in them. Those are the only performance shoes that sell units anyway. Anthony Edwards is ballin this year...his shoes are moving units. Curry had Under Armor moving units his MVP year. Ja had his shoe moving last year during his breakout season. I bought a pair of D.roses his MVP season. Jordan is retired. The main line should be retired. Anybody saying anything different is out of touch with reality. Call em the Jordan 2024 and lets move on

I’d get if MJ had no input or his demands to stop adding models to *his* signature line were being ignored, but they certainly want people to know he was involved with the design process and wanted this shoe to be focused on performance.

Ultimately as long as he’s alive and wants input into the signature model of his own brand, I don’t see anything wrong with continuing the numbering. It really has no bearing on anything other than old men’s feelings.

Nobody said stop making a yearly performance model. I am a hooper and love performance basketball shoes. However, the line should of stopped with the XX3. You can argue semantics, but we are freaking sneakerheads for crying out loud, we got people complain about toe box slants on shoes we are going to crease anyway. As a lifelong fan of Michael Jordan and his playing career, having an air jordan 39 that looks like a yeezy 380 is just ridiculous. Who's the NBA face that wears the sig model anyway? I see kids in tatums and lukas more than the sig. ..cuz they ball out in them. Those are the only performance shoes that sell units anyway. Anthony Edwards is ballin this year...his shoes are moving units. Curry had Under Armor moving units his MVP year. Ja had his shoe moving last year during his breakout season. I bought a pair of D.roses his MVP season. Jordan is retired. The main line should be retired. Anybody saying anything different is out of touch with reality. Call em the Jordan 2024 and lets move on

Why do you care if you don't buy them?

Why don't you move on....

Why do you care if you don't buy them?

Why don't you move on....
Trust me thats what ive done. The last one I bought was the 31 and I almost bought the Italian leather 32's. I care because I'm a hardcore fan of MJ and the brand and the little things like this bothers me as a fanatic. Its a legacy thing. Its like your favorite rapper that's been *** for a decade and keeps making albums. Or your favorite player that is now just mediocre. Yeah they could keep going and it shouldn't bother me, but all things have an end imo. But in the grand scheme of things of course it doesn't matter. I was just voicing my sentiments

Trust me thats what ive done. The last one I bought was the 31 and I almost bought the Italian leather 32's. I care because I'm a hardcore fan of MJ and the brand and the little things like this bothers me as a fanatic. It’s a legacy thing. It’s like your favorite rapper that's been *** for a decade and keeps making albums. Or your favorite player that is now just mediocre. Yeah they could keep going and it shouldn't bother me, but all things have an end imo. But in the grand scheme of things of course it doesn't matter. I was just voicing my sentiments
Most fans would have moved on when they realized their favorite _____ sold out and was past their prime in every aspect. I see this with music a lot, but hanging onto the past is a fan problem more often than not.

Your entire argument seems rooted in nostalgia.

Would you look at that shoe and think that it has Nikes most advanced foam found in its top elite marathon shoes? Would you look at that shoe and think it has Nikes most successful and best air cushion set up(zoom)in the bottom of the zoomx? Perspective can go either way with this sig…
You are absolutely right about that.

Never mind the looks for one second, strictly from a performance standpoint that's the kind of stuff that gets me really excited about when they incorporate such tech in an Air Jordan.

I can already foresee JB adding a carbon spring plate to that on the following iteration...not that hard to guess when you know their other current products a bit and how Nike generally operates 😉

Mad crazy performance ahead with this one and the next one folks!

The fact that there are (almost)all black ones hiding what I don't like visually about the shoe might just save the day for me with the 39. I still don't love the looks, I don't see myself sporting cantaloups and I'm still having a hard time getting over the fact they don't look like a flagship Air Jordan for the price, but I must admit that after seing a few quality close up vids since yesterday, they do look a little better ''live'' than on still pictures. As a hooper the tech just might win me over in the end with the all black ones (...and even more so if they go on disco! 😂)
Lets goooooo! 🏀🏀🏀

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom