Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

I THINK OG white based 5s all used white durabuck for the molded collar because the collars often yellowed while the rest of the shoe retained its original color. Leather doesn't yellow if I'm correct.
p_26835551_147960771_2151096.png
4734574819_b5257eac9b_b.jpg
97841638713b83766637001109e01ab5.jpg

The OGs were white leather minus whatever they used on the heel collar. I’m not sure why this is even being debated lol.

Looking at those pics I think id rather have had the grape 5's with lace holes then the Silver tongues!

One of the few blue Jordans I like.

upload_2019-6-11_11-48-29.jpeg

Its hard to find a hi res pic of ogs. Someone with an og pair on here would have to settle it

Its not like the black durabuck, its more subtle. Just look at some pics of og wc4

I am totally in for these, but I am in the minority, but I would LOVE for them to release these PEs (but they HAVE to have OG font). I just really like having the versions Mike wore.

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-11_11-48-29.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-11_11-48-29.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 74
The OGs were white leather minus whatever they used on the heel collar. I’m not sure why this is even being debated lol.
What they used on the collar was white durabuck, something you didnt know existed until a couple hours ago. And its being debated because a new og retro is coming out and its time to discuss the og counterpart for comparisons. Today we all learned that the og 3m white 5 came out with leather and durabuck on the collar. Now theres a new detail to talk about and complain about when its missing from the 2019. Welcome to niketalk.

I think if Jordan Brand is worried about the aging / yellowing aspect of the white durabuck and the reason its not used anymore they should just use actual leather nubuck instead of trying to reformulate this lost recipe for the synthetic stuff.

IMO the yellowed durabuck looks amazing but i like old school stuff with a patina on it. Og wc4s have the same look to them that they try to achieve by putting that sail color on shoes for a vintage look

B74BF256-FDA5-4A72-8658-2E0905E0C1B1.jpeg

Okay so i can confirm that the heel and collar are all the same porousy material as the rest of the shoe.
I think it is durabuck, but just with a different exterior finish, compared to black durabuck, to look like leather.

The cracking at the top of the ankle is identical to the way the black durabuck cracks, plus leather isn't "furry" underneath.

The term “Durabuck” is throwing people off because it’s usually used to describe the black nubuck-like material on the og 4/5/6 etc. Nike also used the term to refer to synthetic material with a leather-like finish. This was used on the white versions of many ogs. Similar material is still used today. The 99/00 retros had it. The 2019 ATC 2 hot lavas have it.

It’s just relatively soft synthetic leather and it’s a must for these.

That's what I was trying to say in my other post with the 91' 6's lol durabuck isnt just nubuck it's like a mix of leather/nubuck. You can see it if you've ever owned DS OG's that havent cracked. It was just the "leather" of those times for the mist part. It would be cool to get a durabuck upper but only if they can match the look & feel of those OG's. Here's a pair of OG Raptors I owned. If they do it for the Vs I hope it's done right.

lc73eoq.jpg

I think it is durabuck, but just with a different exterior finish, compared to black durabuck, to look like leather.

The cracking at the top of the ankle is identical to the way the black durabuck cracks, plus leather isn't "furry" underneath.
Thats white durabuck. Thats the difference i was trying to explain vs black durabuck earlier in here. Theres not a suede feel to it. Its a different finish

The OG white Vs were clearly synthetic "leather" even when I had them in 8th and 9th grade. As engineer engineer said, people are so used to associating "nubuck" and "durabuck" with black shoes and the way they look/feel, most people never realized it was all the same material and think nubuck and durabuck are only a faux suede-like material. They are not. I expect the arguments on this to continue in here, and that's fine. Personally, all I care about is getting these done right in terms of all the normal considerations: Shape, colors, height ...
The rest is whatever. But for anyone thinking these were ever a quality real leather, I have a bridge to sell you, too LOL

The OG white Vs were clearly synthetic "leather" even when I had them in 8th and 9th grade. As engineer engineer said, people are so used to associating "nubuck" and "durabuck" with black shoes and the way they look/feel, most people never realized it was all the same material and think nubuck and durabuck are only a faux suede-like material. They are not. I expect the arguments on this to continue in here, and that's fine. Personally, all I care about is getting these done right in terms of all the normal considerations: Shape, colors, height ...
The rest is whatever. But for anyone thinking these were ever a quality real leather, I have a bridge to sell you, too LOL
I would love an engineer, mythbusters, or someone educated on materials to tell why Nike's yellow. Would also be nice if they could propose solutions for us.

Back
Top Bottom