Air Jordan XX8 aka 2013, new "Proplate Zoom" Technology OFFICIAL THREAD.

Finally hooped in the Oak Hills. I think they are cool but they didn't blow me away. Felt "different" tho for sure. Didn't feel bad. Felt really low to the ground especially in the forefoot area.

Wow this thread super died!  I think the Kobe releases have stolen all the thunder in 2014.  I am still a huge fan of the xx8 SE but I didn't get any of the solid colored ones because I stocked up on the camos.  I guess it is time for the XX9 but we won't be seeing it for a while.

Kobe 9 has color ways releasing. This does not.

Also the interest for that shoe is higher. But they both have one thing in common. They're both polarizing shoes and expensive.

Kobe 9 has color ways releasing. This does not.

Also the interest for that shoe is higher. But they both have one thing in common. They're both polarizing shoes and expensive.
Agreed.  I miss watching for releases of XX8s.  I've pretty much stopped even looking for the black and volt original release.  Wasn't ever able to find a pair in my size for a reasonable price.

Too bad this thread will be ending on a sorry/sad/frustrating note for those whose zoom bags popped. The rest will be cautious, always looking after the outsole of their XX8s, checking whether the zoom unit is still any good.

My Oak Hills have held up through three solid leg days, 365 lbs. squats for 4 sets of 6-8 reps.

As well, I do calf raises in the leg press, around 800 lbs. and no issues yet. One would assume this exercise in particular would put significant stress on the front zoom bags.

(no e-brag on stats... just trying to provide some insight)

My Oak Hills have held up through three solid leg days, 365 lbs. squats for 4 sets of 6-8 reps.

As well, I do calf raises in the leg press, around 800 lbs. and no issues yet. One would assume this exercise in particular would put significant stress on the front zoom bags.

(no e-brag on stats... just trying to provide some insight)
I'm starting to think that it's not the vertical stress that's causing the forefoot zoom bags to pop. Perhaps it may be due to the flexing right smack in the middle of the forefoot area. Which might explain why this isn't a common issue with the Super.Fly 2 since the forefoot zoom is placed in such a way that it will flex with your forefoot.

Am I the only one who feels like they are a part of history with this shoe? Highly slept on, the looks alone kept a lot of people far away from this shoe. And then the popped bag issue. Gradually evolving into xx8 Se, super fly 2, m10...eventually there will be a shoe made that looks great with perfectly designed unlocked zoom that everyone will swarm to and we will be able to say we witnessed it from the birth

Or maybe they'll look at us like the zealots on Crackberry. Like someone said the OG Black/Greem, Bamboos and OKC were hot color ways but Tinker definitely let down the AJ legacy. 2011-2013 AJ was overshadowed by Lebron, Durant and Kobe signatures.

Or maybe they'll look at us like the zealots on Crackberry. Like someone said the OG Black/Greem, Bamboos and OKC were hot color ways but Tinker definitely let down the AJ legacy. 2011-2013 AJ was overshadowed by Lebron, Durant and Kobe signatures.
i feel like tinker aint really tryin to design at all, dude is tapped out of aesthetically pleasing silhouettes/themes

but i will say whoever thought of the unlocked zoom idea is pretty ahead of the game

even tho i feel like it didnt take much thinking, the lebron x is pretty much 360 unlocked zoom 

edit: chill with that "part of history" talk man, it aint that seirous, and these are only "highly slept on" because they were 250, these things are movin fast at outlets, which reminds me, wheres ol boy at talkin about i wouldnt be able to cop these at outlets for the low???? imma find you

and i need to get at nike for not givin me a receipt

Last edited:
Well I did buy a pair of the Oak Hills for $90, which is $15 less than a AJ 1 Mid. I think that's a sweet spot versus $250 for a polarizing design.

Jordan Brand is definitely number one at Nike but the signature has taken a back seat to the current big 3.

Well I did buy a pair of the Oak Hills for $90, which is $15 less than a AJ 1 Mid. I think that's a sweet spot versus $250 for a polarizing design.

Jordan Brand is definitely number one at Nike but the signature has taken a back seat to the current big 3.
so did i, and honestly im ever so close to copping a second pair of oak hills

Im thinking about returning my DS Bamboos for a pair of the Flyknit Max.

i feel like tinker aint really tryin to design at all, dude is tapped out of aesthetically pleasing silhouettes/themes

but i will say whoever thought of the unlocked zoom idea is pretty ahead of the game

even tho i feel like it didnt take much thinking, the lebron x is pretty much 360 unlocked zoom 

edit: chill with that "part of history" talk man, it aint that seirous, and these are only "highly slept on" because they were 250, these things are movin fast at outlets, which reminds me, wheres ol boy at talkin about i wouldnt be able to cop these at outlets for the low???? imma find you

and i need to get at nike for not givin me a receipt
For the me the design was awesome. I didn't like the SEs at all as they looked like a regular basketball shoe. These certainly don't but they do perform like one. Even though they were overshadowed last year by the lebron x and kobe 8, the XX8s were a lot better performance wise and didn't feel as cheap as the lebron x.

I will concede that most colorways were pretty lame, with maybe 3 or 4 really good ones.

Too bad this thread will be ending on a sorry/sad/frustrating note for those whose zoom bags popped. The rest will be cautious, always looking after the outsole of their XX8s, checking whether the zoom unit is still any good.
Yep, this is me pretty much. I'm worried to wear any XX8s casually or for outdoor balling for fear of popping the zoom bags. Not what you would expect on a $250 shoe

Yep, this is me pretty much. I'm worried to wear any XX8s casually or for outdoor balling for fear of popping the zoom bags. Not what you would expect on a $250 shoe

Wore my first pair of XX8s yesterday. Casually. Already feel like the left zoom feels thicker than right. With the complaints in the thread I'm wondering if my right already popped. Don't notice anything from checking the bottom of the shoe.

However they are B grades that I got for $90. Not sure if Nike would issue a voucher for a B grade if there in fact is an issue?

For the me the design was awesome. I didn't like the SEs at all as they looked like a regular basketball shoe. These certainly don't but they do perform like one. Even though they were overshadowed last year by the lebron x and kobe 8, the XX8s were a lot better performance wise and didn't feel as cheap as the lebron x.
I will concede that most colorways were pretty lame, with maybe 3 or 4 really good ones.

The design had been done before. Tinker just went back to the well. Like sneakers are huge now. Hype beasts, kids, enthusiasts, stars, casuals, resellers, etc are interested. And it just seemed like not even 1 color way was sought after. The Lebron X had the Corks, Denims, WTF/MVP, Champ Pack. KD6 has the Aunt Pearls and Florals making noise. Kobe's are selling out. Like it really felt like Nike didnt know what they were doing with this shoe.

And the Lebron X and Kobe 8 were great performing ball shoes and cheaper. They had some issues but not to the extent of the 28. Or did the 28 have any issues at all? We have complaints about zoom bags but it's by such a small segment.

It's time to close the door on the XX8s and unveil the 29s. They need to put it on the fore front of their signatures. They don't have to flood the market with them but they don't have to be anemic either (try the Kobe 9 model).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom