Air Jordan XXXVI (36) first info…

For Luka & my Mavs, it's 2 pairs on sight
Wish I had done the same for Dirk (anybody has a Dirk Germany Hyperdunk '08 Beijing Olympics PE?)
IMG_2243.jpg

Still blows my mind Luka doesn’t have his own sig shoe yet SMH

They're developing it. There are guys that have done a lot more in the NBA whose signature shoes have yet to come out. I have no doubt Luka's sig will be one of the best shoes Nike offers. Zion got cheap crap. CP3 was in the finals but his latest shoe (which a bunch of us want) isn't even coming out.

I hear you! I'd really like for Nike/Jordan Brand to take their time and come up with something real nice for Luka!
They're developing it. There are guys that have done a lot more in the NBA whose signature shoes have yet to come out. I have no doubt Luka's sig will be one of the best shoes Nike offers. Zion got cheap crap. CP3 was in the finals but his latest shoe (which a bunch of us want) isn't even coming out.

I dunno man. You got a lotttt of people online and off hailing him as the second coming. You've got a lot of people online criticizing Nike/JB for how ****ty their sigs are, and talking about how much they like premium materials. And they certainly aren't using the money they have for anything else, I can totally see them dipping into the cash to come up with something nice to keep him and his fans happy and keep him from spraining his ankles in some Diamonds or something.

I’ve always felt like JB is in a delicate position with its sig shoes.

The Air Jordan is the flagship and most expensive shoe in the portfolio, and with a few exceptions is designed to be the apex on-court performance shoe. This portfolio hierarchy and need for market segmentation then leads to the Melo, CP3, Zion, Russ, etc. lines being engineered to a lower spec and/or price point than the flagship.

It presents a bit if a catch-22 for the athletes. Going back to the early days of guys like Ray Allen, Eddie Jones, and Vin Baker, it was an honor in itself to sign with JB: you’d just been anointed by the GOAT. But your shoe (if you even got a sig) was always going to be cheaper, in price and quality, than what you might even get if you were in the non-JB division of Nike. It reminds me a lot of what Porsche has done with the Cayman/Boxster: deliberately underpowering its purer mid-engine platform because the 911 is the sacred cow.

I sometimes wonder whether someone like Luka would be better off demanding that the flagship shoe be HIS shoe. So for example, scrap these “special” Tatum, Rui, and other versions of the AJ36 and have two versions of the shoe:

"AJ 36": In whatever various GR colorways they’d release in. Keep other PE colors in this silo too, just not with player-specific logos and such.

"AJ 36 Luka": An SE-type version of the 36, with some aesthetic or performance upgrades and with Luka’s logo, team-specific colorways, etc. price it $5 more than the regular AJ36 to signal that it’s positioned as a slightly independent version of the flagship.

The marquee JB athlete gets to step in MJ’s proverbial shoes as “the” Air Jordan athlete, gets to call the flagship shoe his own to benefit from the apex engineering and quality that goes into the flagship, and gets the marketing high of having the most expensive shoe in the portfolio.

If I’m the athlete, I’d take that option — or a standalone sig outside of JB — before something that’ll always be a compromised product.

??? smh lol

Aye, guess ill hafta be the one to say it but uhhhhhh…

some of you, for SOME reason (🙄), think luka donic is due way more respek and privileges than he’s actually EARNED.

Hes hasn’t accomplished anything on court that would put him head and shoulders above any other player in his class to warrant all this special treatment you fanboys want so badly for him.

had to be said. Enough is enough. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
??? smh lol

some of you, for SOME reason (🙄), think luka donic is due way more respek and privileges than he’s actually EARNED.

Hes hasn’t accomplished anything on court that would put him head and shoulders above any other player in his class to warrant all this special treatment you fanboys want so badly for him.

had to be said. Enough is enough. 🤷

What a terrible opinion…

I’ve always felt like JB is in a delicate position with its sig shoes.

The Air Jordan is the flagship and most expensive shoe in the portfolio, and with a few exceptions is designed to be the apex on-court performance shoe. This portfolio hierarchy and need for market segmentation then leads to the Melo, CP3, Zion, Russ, etc. lines being engineered to a lower spec and/or price point than the flagship.

It presents a bit if a catch-22 for the athletes. Going back to the early days of guys like Ray Allen, Eddie Jones, and Vin Baker, it was an honor in itself to sign with JB: you’d just been anointed by the GOAT. But your shoe (if you even got a sig) was always going to be cheaper, in price and quality, than what you might even get if you were in the non-JB division of Nike. It reminds me a lot of what Porsche has done with the Cayman/Boxster: deliberately underpowering its purer mid-engine platform because the 911 is the sacred cow.

I sometimes wonder whether someone like Luka would be better off demanding that the flagship shoe be HIS shoe. So for example, scrap these “special” Tatum, Rui, and other versions of the AJ36 and have two versions of the shoe:

"AJ 36": In whatever various GR colorways they’d release in. Keep other PE colors in this silo too, just not with player-specific logos and such.

"AJ 36 Luka": An SE-type version of the 36, with some aesthetic or performance upgrades and with Luka’s logo, team-specific colorways, etc. price it $5 more than the regular AJ36 to signal that it’s positioned as a slightly independent version of the flagship.

The marquee JB athlete gets to step in MJ’s proverbial shoes as “the” Air Jordan athlete, gets to call the flagship shoe his own to benefit from the apex engineering and quality that goes into the flagship, and gets the marketing high of having the most expensive shoe in the portfolio.

If I’m the athlete, I’d take that option — or a standalone sig outside of JB — before something that’ll always be a compromised product.
Luka is great but he's gotta prove he's head and shoulders above everyone else, both on-court and marketability-wise, before he gets that nod from Jordan. The days of the singular athlete being enough of a marketing star and prominent talent to sell a new performance sneaker en masse are over, and brand strategy in performance footwear has had to adjust accordingly. Jordan Brand isn't marketing high end performance sneakers to collectors, because that's way more effort for less return than nostalgia based retros and collaborations.

For comparison, Giannis has a feel-good origin story, zero controversy, friendly personality, every accolade you could ask for from an NBA star, and his shoes still don't move the needle. Performance basketball isn't the star of the show anymore,. If you give luka a chip, two MVPs, all star appearances, and some DPOY nods, he's still not gonna generate crossover appeal for an elite Luka edition jordan flagship model. He might get some posts on niketalk tho.

Euro league champ, euro league MVP, ROY, carried Mavs to the playoffs, already has triple double records, 2x all star etc…. Accomplished all before or while being 22. But… he hasn’t done ANYTHING. 😂

??? smh lol

had to be said. Enough is enough. 🤷

He’s very good and very impressive, especially for his age.

He came into the league as their franchise player, he’s definitely the real deal.

Now regarding his numbers, he’s basically the same James Harden was in Houston. The offense goes through him so his numbers reflect it.

The media is definitely trying to crown him king, and then there’s many fans who try to take away his skill and level of of play.

Luka’s the real deal and he’s a very special player.

Strangely he’s the Harden of Dallas but Harden didn’t get as much love as Luka.

1632794420571.gif

I see both sides of the argument, obviously dude is an excellent player with a large fan base, but he still won’t generate anywhere near the attention for a sneaker brand like MJ and Lebron do. Nobody but Lebron, and maybe a few others to a lesser extent, currently in the league has that celebrity status and appeal to non-NBA fans.

It just isn’t there these days, MJ was some kind of marketing gold mine that came around at the exact perfect time in history. Not likely that anybody will ever generate a fraction of the brand recognition that MJ was able to.. Too many other shoes and other players shoes on the market these days, it’s really gotten a little diluted.

It's like this, luka is good, however not flagship Jordan good. Outside of Jordan himself Westbrook and D. Wade are the ONLY 2 (mostly Westbrook) who are worthy. Everyone sweating luka (try to force the "great white hope/face of the nba") on this dude. Example Westbrook puts up and has been putting up crazy numbers and people ***** about it. As for luka or curry they put up half the numbers and are considered MVP status. Double standards and false narratives. Although Westbrook is my current favorite player (Lebron and Lillard) everything. I have said are pure facts! As for the 36s, not on board yet. Maybe if Westbrook rocks them I will be. In regards to the 2011s, I have white/red, white/blue, white/black and black/charcoal. One of my all time favorite players D. Wade did his thing in the 2011s! Also facts!

Back
Top Bottom