Alex Ovechkin Vs. Sidney Crosby... Game 5 tonight on Versus 7:00PM

i don't think the nhl lost fans after the strike, i think they gained.
They lost fans, TV deals, everything. Maybe improvements were made in the game, but the NHL was rolling from the 80's into the 90's andthe strike killed it. Hockey rules.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Numberr97

i don't think the nhl lost fans after the strike, i think they gained. there is more scoring/ scoring chances which was their goal. even though i do agree the penalties are weak, but there is nothing the nhl can do about it. they are trying to lessen injuries in the sport and open up the ice so its understandable. plus every sport has its flaws, everything can't be ideal

They did lose a lot of fans after the strike.
I heard Bettman say speak about it on one of his interviews.

From what I'm seeing regarding the penalties they are def pushing some teams over others and it's mainly because of certain individual players.
Especially a certain player on the Caps
laugh.gif

They prob view him as the NHL's ticket to becoming more popular. He brings in the money apparently. Lots of it.

Everything can't be ideal but this borders on blatantly rigging games.
It goes both ways when the Caps and Pens play....if you think the Caps are alone (or Ovechkin) as far as penalties being called at various pointsfor that matter, you are sadly mistaken....remember last season when Tom Poti had a tripping penalty called in OT of game 7? Yup...Joffrey Lupul scored....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

*just out of curiosity, do any of you think he cherrypicks a little bit? Seems like he is always behind the D, or somewhere along the boards on a breakout for a quick 2 on 1....
Most takeaways in the NHL speaks for itself... his defensive game is underrated.

But when he got that breakout pass, I specifically looked at the replay to see if he was cherrypicking but he didn't start to break out into the neutralzone until the Penguins had control of the puck.

The part that I love the most about AO is that he plays an all around game. Dude isnt scared of throwing his entire body into a hit, as opposed to easing up.Dude is
pimp.gif

Get game 4 Caps.

The refs have made many bad calls towards the end of games these playoffs. Some of the ones I remember off the top of my head...the penalty called on CoreyPerry in game 3 of the Ducks/Sharks series...the goal that Carolina scored on NJ with 0.2 seconds to go (Brodeur got bumped)...and last night when Hossa'sgoal was disallowed.

i don't think the nhl lost fans after the strike, i think they gained. there is more scoring/ scoring chances which was their goal. even though i do agree the penalties are weak, but there is nothing the nhl can do about it. they are trying to lessen injuries in the sport and open up the ice so its understandable. plus every sport has its flaws, everything can't be ideal

From what I'm seeing regarding the penalties they are def pushing some teams over others and it's mainly because of certain individual players.
laugh.gif

They prob view him as the NHL's ticket to becoming more popular. He brings in the money apparently. Lots of it.

It goes both ways when the Caps and Pens play....if you think the Caps are alone (or Ovechkin) as far as penalties being called at various points for that matter, you are sadly mistaken....remember last season when Tom Poti had a tripping penalty called in OT of game 7? Yup...Joffrey Lupul scored....
In what context was the tripping penalty called?
Did Poti trio an opposing player while he was involved in offensive duties in the opposition's zone?
If that's the case than a trip must be called. That's a legitimate penalty.

A lot of the penalties that I'm seeing being called are not even borderline. legitimate, especially for being called late in games.

laugh.gif

It goes both ways when the Caps and Pens play....if you think the Caps are alone (or Ovechkin) as far as penalties being called at various points for that matter, you are sadly mistaken....remember last season when Tom Poti had a tripping penalty called in OT of game 7? Yup...Joffrey Lupul scored....
Did Poti trio an opposing player while he was involved in offensive duties in the opposition's zone?

A lot of the penalties that I'm seeing being called are not even borderline. legitimate, especially for being called late in games.

I think that contradicts what you were saying earlier (before you edited). You were questioning the interference call on the Pens w. 2:30 left in the game.

Maybe it will be by those that are new to the NHL (fans after the strike) but there are way too many ridiculous/fishy penalty calls towards the end of games that are highly questionable and as a rule (before the strike) less penalties were called in playoff games especially towards the end/close games. The referees usually let the players just play barring any egregious violence or "dirtiness".

That was your quote from a page back.....I agree w. what you are saying (about the NHL before the season got canceled), because that Poti call would have NEVERbeen made at a crucial time in OT in a game 7....and yes, it was debatable....but that's neither here nor there...

it's all about the Caps and Pens...

*If Malkin can play with that type of intensity each and every night, the Pens will be unstoppable. He's amazing....There are only three people (IMO) inthe current NHL who can take over a game...in no order...Ovechkin, Malkin, and Luongo. No disrespect to guys like Mike Richards, Jerome Iginla, or Crosby, butas far as ACTUALLY taking over a game and showing that you are heads and shoulders GREATER than everyone else on the ice...those three that I mentioned beforeare in a league of their own....

laugh.gif

I think that contradicts what you were saying earlier (before you edited). You were questioning the interference call on the Pens w. 2:30 left in the game.

Maybe it will be by those that are new to the NHL (fans after the strike) but there are way too many ridiculous/fishy penalty calls towards the end of games that are highly questionable and as a rule (before the strike) less penalties were called in playoff games especially towards the end/close games. The referees usually let the players just play barring any egregious violence or "dirtiness".

That was your quote from a page back.....I agree w. what you are saying (about the NHL before the season got canceled), because that Poti call would have NEVER been made at a crucial time in OT in a game 7....and yes, it was debatable....but that's neither here nor there...

it's all about the Caps and Pens...

*If Malkin can play with that type of intensity each and every night, the Pens will be unstoppable. He's amazing....There are only three people (IMO) in the current NHL who can take over a game...in no order...Ovechkin, Malkin, and Luongo. No disrespect to guys like Mike Richards, Jerome Iginla, or Crosby, but as far as ACTUALLY taking over a game and showing that you are heads and shoulders GREATER than everyone else on the ice...those three that I mentioned before are in a league of their own....

huh?

I was guessing as to the incident you referenced because I had no idea what you were talking about.
It was just a guess as to how it went down. That's why I put question marks at the end of the sentences.
Of course there are times to call penalties at the end of close playoff games. If they're blatant enough and have a high enough impact on the game. Thatused to the criteria when I watched before the strike.
In playoff games referees would rather call too few penalties, especially in close games, than too many.

All the calls that I was referring to, I have seen and they are fishy and ridiculous.

That interference call is just a clear example.
The commentators themselves first thought that the Caps were blown for a penalty and then when they found out it was the Pens for interference they were like"huh?". Literally.
laugh.gif

The referees decided to give the Caps one last chance to tie the game. To make it more interesting.
They're not doing this of their own accord. Referees don't do that over and over just because they feel like it personally. They're being told toreferee games in certain ways and it's fairly clear.

I'm not a fan of any team in the NHL. I can care less who wins or loses.

damn no posts for game 5? this series lost a lot of interest quick...or did people keep in the playoffs thread?

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

damn no posts for game 5? this series lost a lot of interest quick...or did people keep in the playoffs thread?
dunno if anybody else was even posting during the game... saturday night, understandable i guess. I was in the main thread a few times during it.

Back
Top Bottom