Americas First Fully Automated Restaurant (McDonalds)

I wish Americans would decide to collectively let McDonald’s and their trash food die then we wouldn’t have to worry about this.

But based on the concern about jobs is letting McDonalds die equally as bad as AI taking over :lol: I get it, in one case the rich get richer and the other case they don’t but at least they are giving folks a chance at survival.

Damn how many you went to

I went to nyc multiple times over this summer for business about 6 weeks total.
Id stop in to grab #1 dollar diet pepsi near where I was staying.

there's one notoriously awful McDonalds in Toronto.
but damn near every mcdonalds was like that in NYC from what I could tell.

Technology isn't a fad.

Employers will maximize profits and minimize cost by any means necessary.

Low wage workers:

Age. Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented just under one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up 48 percent of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 5 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with 1 percent of workers age 25 and older.

Gender. Among workers who were paid hourly rates in 2020, 2 percent of women and 1 percent of men had wages at or below the prevailing federal minimum.

Race and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity. The percentage of hourly paid workers with wages at or below the federal minimum differed little among the major race and ethnicity groups. About 2 percent of Black workers earned the federal minimum wage or less. Among White, Asian, and Hispanic workers, the percentage was about 1 percent.

Education. Among hourly paid workers age 16 and older, about 2 percent of those without a high school diploma, high school graduates (no college), and those with some college or an associate degree earned the federal minimum wage or less, compared with 1 percent of those with a bachelor's degree and higher.

Marital status. Among workers paid an hourly wage, those who were never married were more likely than married workers to earn the federal minimum wage or less (about 3 percent versus about 1 percent).

Full- and part-time status. About 4 percent of part-time workers (people who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers.

Occupation. Among major occupational groups, service occupations had the highest percentage of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage, at about 5 percent. Seven out of ten workers earning the minimum wage or less in 2020 were employed in service occupations, mostly in food preparation and serving related jobs.

Industry. As has historically been the case, the industry with the highest percentage of workers earning hourly wages at or below the federal minimum wage in 2020 was leisure and hospitality (about 8 percent). Three-fifths of all workers paid at or below the federal minimum wage were employed in this industry, almost entirely in restaurants, bars, and other food services. For many of these workers, tips may supplement the hourly wages received.

State of residence. The states with the highest percentages of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage were in the South: about 4 percent for South Carolina and about 3 percent for Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Virginia. Compared with recent years, a relatively large number of states had less than 1 percent of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. It should be noted that more than half of all states have minimum wages that exceed the federal minimum.

Low wage workers positions will be replaced by automation.

Federal / State Government collects less income tax.

No Federal / State Government funds to supplement the loss of income.

Debt / Consumer based society requires that there be more "losers" than "winners".

Interesting times ahead.

Technology isn't a fad.

Employers will maximize profits and minimize cost by any means necessary.

Low wage workers:

Age. Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented just under one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up 48 percent of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 5 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with 1 percent of workers age 25 and older.

Gender. Among workers who were paid hourly rates in 2020, 2 percent of women and 1 percent of men had wages at or below the prevailing federal minimum.

Race and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity. The percentage of hourly paid workers with wages at or below the federal minimum differed little among the major race and ethnicity groups. About 2 percent of Black workers earned the federal minimum wage or less. Among White, Asian, and Hispanic workers, the percentage was about 1 percent.

Education. Among hourly paid workers age 16 and older, about 2 percent of those without a high school diploma, high school graduates (no college), and those with some college or an associate degree earned the federal minimum wage or less, compared with 1 percent of those with a bachelor's degree and higher.

Marital status. Among workers paid an hourly wage, those who were never married were more likely than married workers to earn the federal minimum wage or less (about 3 percent versus about 1 percent).

Full- and part-time status. About 4 percent of part-time workers (people who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers.

Occupation. Among major occupational groups, service occupations had the highest percentage of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage, at about 5 percent. Seven out of ten workers earning the minimum wage or less in 2020 were employed in service occupations, mostly in food preparation and serving related jobs.

Industry. As has historically been the case, the industry with the highest percentage of workers earning hourly wages at or below the federal minimum wage in 2020 was leisure and hospitality (about 8 percent). Three-fifths of all workers paid at or below the federal minimum wage were employed in this industry, almost entirely in restaurants, bars, and other food services. For many of these workers, tips may supplement the hourly wages received.

State of residence. The states with the highest percentages of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage were in the South: about 4 percent for South Carolina and about 3 percent for Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Virginia. Compared with recent years, a relatively large number of states had less than 1 percent of hourly paid workers earning at or below the federal minimum wage: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. It should be noted that more than half of all states have minimum wages that exceed the federal minimum.

Low wage workers positions will be replaced by automation.

Federal / State Government collects less income tax.

No Federal / State Government funds to supplement the loss of income.

Debt / Consumer based society requires that there be more "losers" than "winners".

Interesting times ahead.

I only read the bread of your post but I concur.

It was always heading this way and then the pandemic happened so these restaurants started thinking more towards take-out/to-go models. I'm surprised pizza places haven't already done something like this...I know Little Caesars got the pick-up portal inside.

Unless you got kids and take them to the Play Place, I don't know how much traffic they really get from dining in either. Maybe during lunch hour or for restaurants off a highway for road trips. A lot of Chick Fil A's remodeled after the pandemic to have less seating

It was always heading this way and then the pandemic happened so these restaurants started thinking more towards take-out/to-go models. I'm surprised pizza places haven't already done something like this...I know Little Caesars got the pick-up portal inside.

Unless you got kids and take them to the Play Place, I don't know how much traffic they really get from dining in either. Maybe during lunch hour or for restaurants off a highway for road trips. A lot of Chick Fil A's remodeled after the pandemic to have less seating

I did not know that about CFA. Thank you for sharing that interesting fact. So is the just extra space used for more standing room for folks who placed orders and/or the new influx of third party food service workers coming in to pick up orders? That’s really smart but CFA has always been ahead of the the curve. Do they have the touch less ordering as well?

People seem to have the impression that there's a specific type of person who's gonna get replaced by automation when in reality it's everyone. So go ahead and snicker at the burger flippers now. It'll be your turn eventually.

From a completely selfish point of view, we can hope we'll all be dead by the time that happens.

People seem to have the impression that there's a specific type of person who's gonna get replaced by automation when in reality it's everyone. So go ahead and snicker at the burger flippers now. It'll be your turn eventually.

From a completely selfish point of view, we can hope we'll all be dead by the time that happens.

While I agree that unemployment will skyrocket (I alluded to 60% on Page 1 as a possible high end) there are plenty of jobs that won’t be replaced. It’s just that they are in fields that usually require a higher level of education (engineering, finance, accounting, management, consulting, etc.). With the way America overvalues education, that is probably fine with the folks running things |l

Past 21 and still working fast food or retail?
Probably
-Had kids young
-Pack a day Smoker
-"Invested" their money in a bunch of silly tattoos

Can't really feel sorry for them.
Meh my lil sis 30 and since getting into fast food at 15 she never left. She making 85k a year these days too. A lot of ppl turn them little part time kid jobs into careers.

Meh my lil sis 30 and since getting into fast food at 15 she never left. She making 85k a year these days too. A lot of ppl turn them little part time kid jobs into careers.
Yeah, theres advancement even in the fast food business. I remember when I was making 8.25$ my supervisor was making 25$. Only difference was he was working a third of what we were :lol: and he got to sit in an office a few hours a day. Cant imagine what the managers were making

facts:

automation is coming and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

stock brokers, truck drivers, teachers, nurses, musicians, soldiers, pilots, Google, basically anything that can be automated, will be automated - eventually.

just a matter of time.

Last edited:
facts:

automation is coming and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

stock brokers, truck drivers, teachers, nurses, musicians, soldiers, pilots, Google, basically anything that can be automated, will be automated - eventually.

just a matter of time.
Are your talking about fully automated completely eradicating the need for human beings? I am in agreement that there will be widespread automation but some of those fields you mentioned….will never be fully automated without humans you actually made a really good example of why they won’t - pilots. It’s 2022. Airbus and Boeing aircraft fly themselves but there will forever be the need for pilots for if/when things go awry. I would contend the same for truck drivers because those things are so massive and sometimes carry hazardous materials so it would be prudent if not necessary for them (similar to airplanes).

Soldiers would ACTUALLY be a good thing because it would be saving lives but when those robot soldiers go AWOL and start going after civilians, it’s problematic for both sides in the war (unless they are some hat intentionally designed to get rid of humans because of the rise of automation).

I don’t know how you automate teaching, that would would take hella advanced AI and i also thing you may lose things. I think of it akin to an online class with no real professor. Just modules speaking to you. I have taken them as an adult and was fine but can’t say the same would apply to children. I am similarly unsure of how nursing would be automated. What did you have in mind?

I think where we differ in opinion is the degree and scale of automation. I think there are some jobs like the ones you mentioned that just innately require human oversight.

I don’t know how you automate teaching, that would would take hella advanced AI and i also thing you may lose things. I think of it akin to an online class with no real professor. Just modules speaking to you. I have taken them as an adult and was fine but can’t say the same would apply to children. I am similarly unsure of how nursing would be automated. What did you have in mind?

I think where we differ in opinion is the degree and scale of automation. I think there are some jobs like the ones you mentioned that just innately require human oversight.

+

=

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom