An artist needing some help from NT on spreading the word.... ##UPDATE on Pg 2

Originally Posted by MASARO

Thank you to those that PMed me.....
I really appreciate all the help so far....not trying to be mad corny but I feel grateful from the luv I get from NT fams, tho I don't really know some of you personally

Some asked me what I need the most now with help....I would say if y'all can help me build the "viewed times" on you tube that would be dope.
It is as easy as just passing it to your friends and fams and maybe even clicking the like button

Once again I really appreciate it everyone!
Happy Friday
The NT family is strong.
pimp.gif

Bump for some great work

Sorry to hear that man. I'm currently about a year of from graduating and I'm majoring in graphic design so the fact that someone as talented as yourself is out of a job definitely will drive me to do better. Being a student, I obviously don't have any sort of job connects so I can't help you on that front but you certainly have the right idea in trying to get the word out.

As far as how to promote your work, I'd suggest starting up a Flickr account (if you don't already have one). Its a great place to showcase your work and it is easy to add stuff as soon as you churn it out. And I'd suggest maybe trying to profile your work on some design blogs. The two I visit almost daily are webdesignerdepot & abduzeedo. WDD is mostly for web design (obviously) but they have spotlighted talented artists in the past. Abduzeedo would probably be a better bet since they spotlight mutiple artists almost daily. It is a fantastic site run by some Brazilian graphic designers and they house & showcase talent from all around the world. They showcase amazing illustrators almost daily as well as typography projects, videos, infographics, logo design, photography, you name it. Their main goal is to inspire daily, creative thought and it would be nice to see an NTer's work on there. Good luck man.

Sorry to hear that man. I'm currently about a year of from graduating and I'm majoring in graphic design so the fact that someone as talented as yourself is out of a job definitely will drive me to do better. Being a student, I obviously don't have any sort of job connects so I can't help you on that front but you certainly have the right idea in trying to get the word out.

As far as how to promote your work, I'd suggest starting up a Flickr account (if you don't already have one). Its a great place to showcase your work and it is easy to add stuff as soon as you churn it out. And I'd suggest maybe trying to profile your work on some design blogs. The two I visit almost daily are webdesignerdepot & abduzeedo. WDD is mostly for web design (obviously) but they have spotlighted talented artists in the past. Abduzeedo would probably be a better bet since they spotlight mutiple artists almost daily. It is a fantastic site run by some Brazilian graphic designers and they house & showcase talent from all around the world. They showcase amazing illustrators almost daily as well as typography projects, videos, infographics, logo design, photography, you name it. Their main goal is to inspire daily, creative thought and it would be nice to see an NTer's work on there. Good luck man.

Thank you with all the bump, help with leads, and the luv.

nocomment6: I'm in Vancouver, West Coast Canada....the market here for graphic design is very conservative and small.

p0tat0 5alad: I will definitely check out Abduzeedo.

I find it is very frustrating now because I'm at a point with job hunting that I come across jobs I know I can easily managed, but no leads after initial applying. And I've gotten reply for some entry level position saying "I'm too qualified..." Like Kurtis Blow said, dat's da breaks rite?

Thank you with all the bump, help with leads, and the luv.

nocomment6: I'm in Vancouver, West Coast Canada....the market here for graphic design is very conservative and small.

p0tat0 5alad: I will definitely check out Abduzeedo.

I find it is very frustrating now because I'm at a point with job hunting that I come across jobs I know I can easily managed, but no leads after initial applying. And I've gotten reply for some entry level position saying "I'm too qualified..." Like Kurtis Blow said, dat's da breaks rite?

Good stuff man. I'm sure it's frustrating right now, but I think you have a lot of talent (for whatever my opinion is worth). The Cheney piece is hilarious.

Good stuff man. I'm sure it's frustrating right now, but I think you have a lot of talent (for whatever my opinion is worth). The Cheney piece is hilarious.

I really really like your work man. 
I JUST got done revamping my portfolio/resume/website. I might recommend you taking a look at your website. You've got ALOT of work and it might help to focus it a bit more. Thats not saying you cant showcase all your styles/varieties/avenues but kinda hone in on what you really want to do. 

For instance I personally like your graphic design. When you combine elements of your drawings mixed with design/clean lines it looks great! It looks more polished, refined and done with a purpose - it just looks more "professional" NOT that theres anything wrong at all with your drawings and sketches - they are fantastic. BUT they are sketches and not final pieces. When art directors/clients look through your stuff you want them to see the finished pieces. The "commercial"stuff for lack of a better term. You said you were an instructor. Im sure you pounded in your students head to keep drawing, keep sketching. And you practice what you preach. All of that is great. Keep it up if your heart lies in teaching (its something i want to get into myself actually) BUT if you're looking for a new avenue or want to get into design studios etc - start by looking at other commercial designers out there. What do their sites look like? How many pieces do they showcase? Is there an overall theme/style to their site? Think about doing the same - and then follow that through in your portfolio/resume. 

I recently read an article about what art directors look for - they ALL said they expect to see a pdf portfolio, and a link to a website in addition to the resume and cover letter. Think of that as one package. It should all flow.

So when you go about doing that - think about "weeding" your stuff down. Showcase those homerun pieces. The sketches and everything else, put those in a blog. Update your blog (something im very guilty of NOT doing). Post up the sketches you do and talk about it at your blog. THEN follow through with the finished pieces. Also get a deviant art page, a flickr account, post up on FB, here, etc. 

This got long -and just my rambling 2¢ but i hope it helps. Keep it up!! You got talent!!

I really really like your work man. 
I JUST got done revamping my portfolio/resume/website. I might recommend you taking a look at your website. You've got ALOT of work and it might help to focus it a bit more. Thats not saying you cant showcase all your styles/varieties/avenues but kinda hone in on what you really want to do. 

For instance I personally like your graphic design. When you combine elements of your drawings mixed with design/clean lines it looks great! It looks more polished, refined and done with a purpose - it just looks more "professional" NOT that theres anything wrong at all with your drawings and sketches - they are fantastic. BUT they are sketches and not final pieces. When art directors/clients look through your stuff you want them to see the finished pieces. The "commercial"stuff for lack of a better term. You said you were an instructor. Im sure you pounded in your students head to keep drawing, keep sketching. And you practice what you preach. All of that is great. Keep it up if your heart lies in teaching (its something i want to get into myself actually) BUT if you're looking for a new avenue or want to get into design studios etc - start by looking at other commercial designers out there. What do their sites look like? How many pieces do they showcase? Is there an overall theme/style to their site? Think about doing the same - and then follow that through in your portfolio/resume. 

I recently read an article about what art directors look for - they ALL said they expect to see a pdf portfolio, and a link to a website in addition to the resume and cover letter. Think of that as one package. It should all flow.

So when you go about doing that - think about "weeding" your stuff down. Showcase those homerun pieces. The sketches and everything else, put those in a blog. Update your blog (something im very guilty of NOT doing). Post up the sketches you do and talk about it at your blog. THEN follow through with the finished pieces. Also get a deviant art page, a flickr account, post up on FB, here, etc. 

This got long -and just my rambling 2¢ but i hope it helps. Keep it up!! You got talent!!

Back
Top Bottom