An oral history on the Malice at the Palace. Best article I've ever read on it.

I remember coming home from my high school football game and being able to catch the end of this game, I was eating in-n-out and I literally had food fall out of my mouth when Artest jumped into the stands

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

I was watching this game live man. After school in my living room. Surreal moment, will never forget it.

This was a great article/piece.
Bullcrap, unless you were in night school, or something, back then. That was a Friday night prime time game. Even on the west coast that brawl hit late in the evening.
This, that game started at 8 est/ 5pst...... unless you were one of those lazy kids who would sit in front of the tv for 5+ hours straight after school
laugh.gif

Guys you are being pricks man lol dude said after school. Doesnt mean immediately after school. What did you guys want him to go into detail of exactly everything he did before he sat down to watch the game? Jesus....lol

Too bad no video of jo's slide punch is available. It would have made for a great streetfighter gif these days

I remember watching the highlights at Hooters in San Francisco for my friends birthday. My fond memory is everyone was glued to the television and every time they replayed those two Pistons fans get clocked we would hear people go OOOH.

Of course O'Neal slipped. It's pretty obvious. But that's a crazy "what-if" for NBA history: what if O'Neal lands that punch without slipping? That's a TKO from a player to a fan, and at least a shattered face. That's worse than Kermit vs. Rudy T.
I've always thought the same thing. If he lands that punch flush dude would've been obliterated. It would've took things to an even higher level. That wasn't a lemme protect myself in this situation punch. That was a one hitter quitter, I'm trying to knock this guy out punch...from an NBA athlete. And he went into it with momentum. Shattered face for sure. Possibly worse.

I was home, just getting up for my night shift and switched on the tv. The pure mayhem was ridiculoius. Didnt even want to go to work. I remember me and my boys at work talking about it all shift.

I'll keep it real...I've gotten into some heated discussions over this *+*+. I felt pretty strongly about what transpired that night. Usually I'll hear you out, say my piece and be done with it...but it boggled my mind how many people came to that moron fan's defense. Too many heads on some ol' holier-than-thou @@#+. I'm the LAST person to bring it up but the underlying racial connotations that came from this?...oh boy.

If I would have been on NT that night, 99% chance I get the ban hammer.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

EDIT: I can't even finish that 15 minute google video. Had to X it out of disgust...brings back old !%$ feelings.
30t6p3b.gif

The only time I felt I was about to get hurt was when a policeman popped his pepper spray container and started shaking it up. Reggie Miller was pleading with him, "Please don't. My suit costs x-hundred dollars."

roll.gif

Hunter: I was trying to stop Rip because Rip was like 140 pounds and that's my guy, my little brother. Like, "Rip, sit down. Get out the way before you get hurt out here." And Derrick Coleman is like, "Come on, let's get these guys out [of here]." So I walk out there and that's when Stephen walked up and started saying stuff. And, listen, I box. I'm too old to be fighting or whatever, and I'm like, "I'm not fitting to fight out here in front of all these people." But I've been boxing for nine, 10 years, so it wasn't a big deal to me.
roll.gif

I wish Twitter was around for this.....I remember the NT post and I turned to the TV to see Artest running into the stands
laugh.gif
eek.gif

One thing I never understood was letting Artest lay on the table, that probably made Big Ben more upset than anything.  I just thought that was stupid for him to be laying down.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Damn Ron Ron

"After we calmed down, [Artest] looked at me like, 'Jack, you think we going to get in trouble?' Jamaal Tinsley fell out laughing. I said, 'Are you serious, bro? Trouble? Ron, we'll be lucky if we have a freaking job.' That lets me know he wasn't in his right mind, to ask that question." —Stephen Jackson

roll.gif

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

I was watching this game live man. After school in my living room. Surreal moment, will never forget it.

This was a great article/piece.
Bullcrap, unless you were in night school, or something, back then. That was a Friday night prime time game. Even on the west coast that brawl hit late in the evening.
This, that game started at 8 est/ 5pst...... unless you were one of those lazy kids who would sit in front of the tv for 5+ hours straight after school
laugh.gif
Are you guys slow? 5pst is after school. 

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

laugh.gif
Technically, yes. 5 pm on a Friday is after school. So is 11:59 pm. But the fight happened at the very end of the game. Nobody on earth considers 7:30 pm on a Friday to be "after school."

Because I'm drunk and bored. And the fact dude tried to say he was chillin' at home after school as if he hopped off the bus and the fight happened a few minutes later.

What was lost in this is that Indy, who returned the same roster (plus Stack Jack) that won 60 games in the previous season, had just destroyed the defending Eastern Conference champs on their home floor.

It was a big W, but the fight effectively ruined the season & the team as Artest requested a trade next season

I had this recorded on my tivo & the damn thing broke a few months later so I lost it
mad.gif
I remember Mike Tirico was heated at the Piston's fans

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

laugh.gif
Technically, yes. 5 pm on a Friday is after school. So is 11:59 pm. But the fight happened at the very end of the game. Nobody on earth considers 7:30 pm on a Friday to be "after school."
He didn't say he watched the fight after school, he said he watched the game after school. It's not farfetched that he got home around 5pm and turned on the game. Thus, watching the game after school.

Originally Posted by PMatic

I firmly believe the Pacers would have won the championship that season had the fight and suspensions not happened.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

definetely one of those times where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing.

Two comments that are guaranteed to be stated during any Malice talk . CLockwork 
laugh.gif

That was the year Reggie was gonna get his ring.

I will never forget that day.. I had been looking forward to that game all week.. We had just lost to them the year before in the ECF and they went on to win the chip against the Lakers. We were playing GREAT basketball.. It was like that young team with so much potential that was getting by on pure athleticism the year before had taken the next step.. We were ready to win it all that year. Like Jermaine said in that article, they didn't just think they were gonna win the chip that year, they were thinking multiple championships.. And one crazy night messed all that up.

I will forever hate Ben Wallace and the Pistons. But mostly Ben Wallace.

Back
Top Bottom