Any 1099 employees on here?

Whatver it is that you do. Any 1099 employees on here? (100% independent contractor). What do you do? Do you own your own business? How do you run it?

I've been one for most of my career. It started with me getting finessed by my first job: hired me as a contractor in order to only pay me when they needed me and not give me benefits. I also went to their office every time I worked. I stayed there for 9 months.

Fast forward another 1.5 years, I wanted to pursue my MBA and decided to work with my first employer again for flexibility. This time I demanded to work from home, and requested more per hour. Working from home and being so efficient at my job, I was able to bill them 3x the amount of hours I actually worked. It was my honest belief that anyone else they hired for instance would have taken 3x longer than me to do the job.

Moral of the story: being an independent contractor can be great or it can horrible. Make sure it's what you want and not just an employer taking advantage.

The tax burden can also be very hard if you're not crazy and trying aggressively write everything off.

Back
Top Bottom