Any bartenders on NT?

bkmac

Banned
11,545
13
Joined Jul 6, 2006
I would love to go to Bartending School if I find the time in the near future.

Then again, I feel like I'm always hearing you don't necessarily need to go to Bartending School to become a bartender, but it does give you that edge.
 
6,715
5,059
Joined Mar 12, 2011
I guest bartended once, got smashed since I ended up doing every drink or shot that was offered to me and was puking on streets by the end of the night. Unsurprisingly, they never asked me to come back.
 
16,341
7,689
Joined May 25, 2004
Waltz into one and apply for bar back. It is an entry level job that requires no experience. Better than getting scammed at school.
 
4,611
770
Joined Jun 18, 2005
Everyone I know that bartends never went to bartendering school. Be a barback, know an owner, or be a decent looking girl
 
9,401
5,417
Joined Sep 17, 2006
Bartended my way through college...

PROS - fun working environment. I worked at a country club so it was more 'upscale' and not a club scene, however, bartender talk always revolves around sports and money talk.
- good money. some nights are slow, and some are bank. even the slow nights are still decent though.
- fun work environment. either your staff is young and down to party after work, or they are old and experienced and have the GREATEST stories to tell you.
- the king of the restaurant. if your place serves food and has waiters you are a notch above them (at least socially it is almost labelled as that)

CONS - you can get caught in the "trap" of the party scene cause everyone ALWAYS wants to go out after work.
- gotta be smart with your money. you leave work with cash in your pocket, and it is so easy to spend that before depositing into the bank. your checks are almost non existent
- work hours. you turn into a night owl. work til 2, wake up at 10.
- being surrounded by alcohol non stop. you gotta have discipline to take care of yourself physically and mentally and not get consumed by partying.
- labels. hard to meet a "good girl" when you bartend. not necessarily a 'take home to mom' type of gig

all in all, it is a blast while you are young and going through school. if you are single, even better.

gotta grow up sometime though and get a real job eventually...
 
16,532
2,539
Joined Jul 29, 2001
Bartending schools are good for learning mechanics and a plethora of basic and common drinks. It's a crash course that you won't retain a lot of specific knowledge from, but if you do get a gig, you'll pick up on things a lot easier and quicker, while also having a frame of reference. I've never understood the outright hatred of bartending schools among the industry. It's not perfect, but you can learn a lot in a short amount of time so who cares?
 
1,581
13
Joined Jun 3, 2008
DO NOT GO TO BARTENDING SCHOOL.
YOU DO NOT NEED IT.

If you're trying to get a job at SOME country clubs, or some high roller club in Las Vegas, they might require it.

You HAVE to be humble, personable, likable, and a bit of a smart %@#.

Couple ways to get the job with no experience:

A) Apply for job as bartender (at a restaurant). Turn in the application to a MANAGER ONLY. Tell the manager that you realize that they may not be able to hire you right on as a bartender, but that you'd be willing to prove yourself as a barback or server for the time being.
B) Apply at a Mom and Pop restaurant that doesn't have a ton of business and get hired right away.
C) Apply as a bar back. You'll HAVE to learn to pour when it gets hella busy. Those times are your proving ground.

A few tips:

• Buy a book or two and learn the essentials, their measures, and go get yourself some spouts and learn to clean them, change them swiftly and gracefully, and pour accurately.

• Nothing will get you fired faster than being heavy handed with the bottle unless you're told to do so.

• Being able to toss the bottles around and pour from multiple bottles at a time is NOT necessary.

• Leave the attitude and pride at home. Be ready to learn and clean some less-than-marvelous things.

• Know how to use a speed opener (a piece of metal with a hole; for beer, naturally), present and open a bottle of wine and/or champagne

• Know how to please angry customers, but also be assertive. Once you're a bartender, there is no handholding.

• OWN YOUR BAR. If you work in a bar/lounge, what you say goes. If a customer is unhappy (in this case) tell them sorry and continue to pour. There will be more customers. Not everyone will like you.

• Learn a few crappy jokes. It never hurts.

• "Yes/No, ma'am," and "Yes/No, sir," go a LONG way.

• #**! happens. A bottle breaks, write it on your spill sheet, clean it, let the manager know, and keep pouring.

• Work as a team with anyone behind the bar. This isn't the place to flex your nuts to your coworkers. You'll need them.


Bartending is not as easy as many bartenders make it look. You have no one to blame but yourself when something goes wrong sometimes.





Overall, I loved it throughout college. You make friends, get some regulars, and learn a lot.
Like rayray said, there's money to be made, but it's not always there. Be willing to work the weekdays.
May the force be with you.


EDIT: I don't hate bartending school, and if you have no experience and there's a $100 or less class in your area then it's a good investment.

It's the $500 5 day classes that are advertised so much that get me. Bartending cannot be TAUGHT, per se. You learn through experience.
 
2,014
10
Joined Aug 19, 2008
NikeAirsNCrispyTees wrote:[hr][/hr]DO NOT GO TO BARTENDING SCHOOL.
YOU DO NOT NEED IT.

If you're trying to get a job at SOME country clubs, or some high roller club in Las Vegas, they might require it.

You HAVE to be humble, personable, likable, and a bit of a smart %@#.

Couple ways to get the job with no experience:

A) Apply for job as bartender (at a restaurant). Turn in the application to a MANAGER ONLY. Tell the manager that you realize that they may not be able to hire you right on as a bartender, but that you'd be willing to prove yourself as a barback or server for the time being.
B) Apply at a Mom and Pop restaurant that doesn't have a ton of business and get hired right away.
C) Apply as a bar back. You'll HAVE to learn to pour when it gets hella busy. Those times are your proving ground.

A few tips:

• Buy a book or two and learn the essentials, their measures, and go get yourself some spouts and learn to clean them, change them swiftly and gracefully, and pour accurately.

• Nothing will get you fired faster than being heavy handed with the bottle unless you're told to do so.

• Being able to toss the bottles around and pour from multiple bottles at a time is NOT necessary.

• Leave the attitude and pride at home. Be ready to learn and clean some less-than-marvelous things.

• Know how to use a speed opener (a piece of metal with a hole; for beer, naturally), present and open a bottle of wine and/or champagne

• Know how to please angry customers, but also be assertive. Once you're a bartender, there is no handholding.

• OWN YOUR BAR. If you work in a bar/lounge, what you say goes. If a customer is unhappy (in this case) tell them sorry and continue to pour. There will be more customers. Not everyone will like you.

• Learn a few crappy jokes. It never hurts.

• "Yes/No, ma'am," and "Yes/No, sir," go a LONG way.

• #**! happens. A bottle breaks, write it on your spill sheet, clean it, let the manager know, and keep pouring.

• Work as a team with anyone behind the bar. This isn't the place to flex your nuts to your coworkers. You'll need them.


Bartending is not as easy as many bartenders make it look. You have no one to blame but yourself when something goes wrong sometimes.





Overall, I loved it throughout college. You make friends, get some regulars, and learn a lot.
Like rayray said, there's money to be made, but it's not always there. Be willing to work the weekdays.
May the force be with you.


EDIT: I don't hate bartending school, and if you have no experience and there's a $100 or less class in your area then it's a good investment.

It's the $500 5 day classes that are advertised so much that get me. Bartending cannot be TAUGHT, per se. You learn through experience.

^All good advice.
Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Waltz into one and apply for bar back. It is an entry level job that requires no experience. Better than getting scammed at school.
Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

don't go to bartending school
Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

don't go to bartending school
So I should just waltz into a bar with no experience, and no training, and ask for a job?

They won't care, bars will always hire the right kind of generally likeable person without experience. If they want you, they'll in train you. It's how you carry yourself as much as anything. Be relaxed and friendly but try and be genuine and assertive too. Smile and look comfortable, it helps keep everyone at ease. Also you're gonna have to be able to handle the pressure of extremely busy nights.

95% of how much you like it is gonna come down to your co-workers. It's the kind of job that just isn't worth having if you're not around good people, but is hard to leave if you're around great people.
 
6,602
47
Joined Oct 1, 2006
Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Waltz into one and apply for bar back. It is an entry level job that requires no experience. Better than getting scammed at school.
Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

don't go to bartending school
Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

don't go to bartending school
So I should just waltz into a bar with no experience, and no training, and ask for a job?

They won't care, bars will always hire the right kind of generally likeable person without experience. If they want you, they'll in train you. It's how you carry yourself as much as anything. Be relaxed and friendly but try and be genuine and assertive too. Smile and look comfortable, it helps keep everyone at ease. Also you're gonna have to be able to handle the pressure of extremely busy nights.

95% of how much you like it is gonna come down to your co-workers. It's the kind of job that just isn't worth having if you're not around good people, but is hard to leave if you're around great people.
absolutely wrong. there's not a bar in San Diego that will hire a male without any type of security or barbacking experience.

Females get by because looks sell, but if you are a male, you will need to start as a door guy or Barback.
 
2,014
10
Joined Aug 19, 2008
Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

absolutely wrong. there's not a bar in San Diego that will hire a male without any type of security or barbacking experience.

Females get by because looks sell, but if you are a male, you will need to start as a door guy or Barback.
I was referring to bartending schools and courses, not work experience.
 
2,156
457
Joined May 5, 2011
Yeah, no need for schooling. Gain experience through barbacking like everyone else suggested. My buddy did it throughout college and loved it...
 
3,178
10
Joined Mar 23, 2003
i was hanging out at my bar all the time to the point where they asked me and my boy to start working there. that was 2 years ago. now i have a different bar that i guest at from time to time too becuase i generated a following.

going to school is a waste of money and it seems like alot of places look down on it. its like it shows them you couldnt pick up mixing on your own.

i would say learn the essential drinks (more than 2 ingrediants like a Long Island or Tequila Sunrise), a couple of specialty shots, and keep a book on hand for the rest.

BTW im working friday night at a bar in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. PM me if interested. NTers welcome
 
6,221
12
Joined Apr 8, 2006
It all comes down to your ability to bring a crowd in and have them buy drinks.

This includes exploiting your friends and sucking up to high paying regulars.

I did the school.... did nothing for me in terms of getting a job but it made me a better bar tender.

They had me guest bartend twice as part of the schooling and it was honestly a lot of fun.... first and only time a girl has asked me for my number.

These days I'm kinda the go to guy for bartending at house parties because I'm the only one who can toss a bottle around some what controllably.
 

bkmac

Banned
11,545
13
Joined Jul 6, 2006
Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

BTW im working friday night at a bar in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. PM me if interested. NTers welcome
Bay Ridge? Hmm, check your PM.
 
13
10
Joined Aug 17, 2011
Don't go to bartending school unless it's required by the employer. I'm a bartender and they gave me a chance because I was serving for the company for so long. My advice is to lie if you want to get a job bartending without any experience. My roommates boyfriend started bartending by lying to a small restaurant and is now ranked number one in the TGI Fridays world championships.

(dont know how to embed)
 
Top Bottom