Any Golfers on NT?

i'm a nub when it comes to golf. been to the driving range like twice, and played 9 holes once.

that being said, can one of you guys direct me in the right way to buying a set of clubs? like brand, what types of clubs i should get, does the ball manufacture matter, etc?

after playing for the first time two weeks ago, i wanna get on the course and range more often

Originally Posted by gameovertripleh

i'm a nub when it comes to golf. been to the driving range like twice, and played 9 holes once.

that being said, can one of you guys direct me in the right way to buying a set of clubs? like brand, what types of clubs i should get, does the ball manufacture matter, etc?

after playing for the first time two weeks ago, i wanna get on the course and range more often

I always recommend to start off with a USED set and go to work.(Check Craigslist, Rockbottomgolf, Thrift Store.....) It will take years to develop your game. While you're out playing soak up as much information from experienced golfers.

Decent brand of clubs - Pings, Callaway, Nike, Taylor Made.....basically any well known brand will be a decent starter set. Once you feel you're developing your game and feel comfortable down the line, then thats when you go all out and get fitted for a solid pair of clubs.

I've been playing for 4 years now, and I still dont feel comfortable enough to get fitted for a set. I really dont get out as much as I would want tho.

Starting with a used set of clubs is definitely a good call.  I started golf when I was 12 with a 5 iron, 7 iron and a putter.  Overtime I added random makes of clubs, to where I had a full set, but that was stolen when I was around 14.  After that my parents got me a complete set of Wilson clubs - cheap $250 set.  I played with these for a while, and they actually served me pretty well.  I routinely shot bogey golf with those clubs.  After a while I started getting the itch to buy something "brand name," as I was always embarrassed of my #%@!!% equipment.  I started buying random clubs in used bins at pro shops/golf stores, until I had a complete set of clubs from all different makers..Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist, Mizuno, Cleveland.  The flaw with that is that different makes have different spec for standard length, loft, lie for all of their clubs, so I was doing myself a disservice by playing a random set of clubs.  I finally found a cheap set of used irons and went that route, and after that I started posting more consistent and lower scores, eventually shooting scratch golf for the first time in my life on my little executive par 30 course. 

You should be fine with any major brand name of clubs.  How tall are you?  Hopefully you fall into the standard/average height/arm length so that you don't really need to have clubs custom fit and can just play out of the box, but this might have some impact on how you play.  It doesn't haven't be complicated if you don't want it to be.

Just be warned - buying golf clubs can become an addiction.  It's hard to not want to try new irons, new wedges, new putters, new drivers, new woods, etc.  I have made countless trips to golf stores buying clubs, exchanging clubs, testing clubs, etc.  It is a long road to find clubs that are absolutely perfect that you never want to let go.  Just remember, newer isn't always better!

Golfers of NT...

Would you rather:

a) Work a 9-5 M-F and golf on the weekends

or

b) Work a random schedule which affords you the luxury of golfing 5x a week M-F?  For example you are off two weekdays, and the other three you do not start work until 2:00 PM.  You occasionally get a Sat/Sun off...but not guaranteed to get every weekend off.

Currently working a nice shift, wish I could afford a membership somewhere right now. Personally golf on the weedays>>> weekend. I get off work 1:30-3 each day but work some weekends and it is super nice to go walk a round in less than 4 hours. If I had a membership I would be out there every day. Just depends on your own personal preference but working a different schedule doesn't really bother me, but most importantly right now it works with my school schedule.

I was just doing a little bit of reflection on the state of my life right now.  I don't make as much money as I "could have" at this point in my life if I had taken a different path in college - but as it is, I work 40 hours a week, and I am golfing 5x this week, and 4x next week.

My days off were Monday and Tuesday...I was out at 8:30 on Monday (27 holes), and 7:00 AM on Tuesday (36 holes).  I work at 2:15 on Wed/Thu/Fri, played 18 this morning, and will play 18 on Thu/Fri (weather permitting). 

I know that it wouldn't be possible with a 9-5...if I did work that schedule my wife would expect me to spend Sa/Su with her anyway...

So in the end, what is more important?  Making enough money when you're young so that you can golf everyday when you're old, or golfing everyday when you're young and not having as much money when you're older?  I know it's not the smartest financial advice, but something tells me that I'm living my best years right now and I should live it up while the getting's good.  I'm 26, and am certain that I am the youngest member at my course.  I LOVE to play golf.  There honestly isn't anything else I would want to do with my free time.  I know that if/when we have kids, it will put a huge dent in my golf life.

Just trying to put my life in perspective..

^^ IMO you just answered the question right there. Might as well live life now while you are young without that many responsibilities. When you start having kids then I think it would be more worth while to have a normal schedule for a job but I say live it up while you can. I like to plan for my future but at the same time you have to think life is short, why give up things you could be enjoying now for a time that may never come in the future.

Sounds like you have it pretty good the way it is now.

One of the best perks of my job (school teacher) off every weekend and about 2 months in the summer.

I took a new job closer to home this year and it's looking like I won't have to coach basketball this year, gonna be hitting up the course at least 3 afternoons of the weekday
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Almost makes me want to pull the YS-6 out of mine and throw a steel shaft in it. But am going to hold of for now since my swing is in a nice groove and that shaft is working great for me, no going right at all anymore. If I can come up on another cheap 983k I might put a steel shaft in it just to try out.

Update - don't waste your money. 
mad.gif

I played something like 126 holes of golf last week, and I retired the 983k.  For the first couple of days I was hitting straight bombs, and then I started pulling everything with that club.  I tried playing the face a little more open, and that would sometimes work, but after the first day of having nothing but utmost control over the club, I completely lost it after a few days.  I'm not sure if I just grooved into a terrible swing for that club, but regardless, it found it's way out of the bag.

I went back to my 905R Whiteboard, pulled my first drive left, but for the most part had pretty good control through 18 holes.  I decided to play another 9 after I finished, and for the 7 holes that I used the club, I was hitting nothing but bombs.  I only pulled one shot left, but it still had good distance and stayed in play on the hole. 

I may go back to it from time to time, but I think I need to work on figuring out what swing works best with that club. 

I'm over the odd schedule.

I usually work from 12pm-10pm, just got weekends off but before that I had Friday and Saturdays off.

I would hit the range in the AM's, and hit 9-18 holes on Friday.

Frankly, it's more fun playing w/ buddies than with a random foursome or solo. It got boring. I have weekends off now, and up for promotion to a position that is 8am-4pm. Looks like I'll be golfing at night and weekends.

Plus, it seems all I've been playing mostly on weekends anyway due to friends having 9-5's.

The wife wants to start playing so that might help.

Anyway...

I'm looking for a decent set of wedges (AW, SW, GW), a putter and a pitching wedge (Cleveland?)

I am looking for wedges myself, think I am going to go with either Mizunos or Vokeys. Mizunos are forged and which I like cause they are going to feel softer, might get a 52* for Mizuno since I like to take more full shots with my gap wedge and a 56* in Vokey since the head feels heavier I think it might be better for me around the greens. If you are going with Cleveland I suggest waiting til they re-release the 588 wedge in the next month or 2 rather than going with their current offerings. Hit the range today and hit balls for the first time in a couple weeks, needed some time off since I was developing some bad habits. Hit the ball great except for a few pulls but I will take them anyday over the hosel rockets I was hitting.

Cant wait til I get weekends off consistently. Schedule im on now sucks.

Also I just got 6 dozen Nike One Vapor Speeds from RBG for $98 shipped.
pimp.gif
Really liking this ball. I went out and played 27 last Saturday and didn't slice a single time with my driver... Hit a few 290 and one on a down hill par 4 that sits about 355 I ended up about 20 yds off the green in the rough.

Had a couple come off the club right, but the actual ball flight was low spin. Launched maybe 15* to the right coming off the club but stayed almost straight line... Not even close to the amount of side spin as I had using crappy Nike Mojo balls.

Ended up scoring a 95 through the first 18 holes. I think 93 or 94 was my best ever a year or 2 ago but I probably cheated somehow.
laugh.gif
But this is my second time this year scoring 95 and I hadn't taken any mulligans or anything. 45 and 50 last month and then 46 and 49 on Saturday at a different course.

I am looking for wedges myself, think I am going to go with either Mizunos or Vokeys. Mizunos are forged and which I like cause they are going to feel softer, might get a 52* for Mizuno since I like to take more full shots with my gap wedge and a 56* in Vokey since the head feels heavier I think it might be better for me around the greens. If you are going with Cleveland I suggest waiting til they re-release the 588 wedge in the next month or 2 rather than going with their current offerings. Hit the range today and hit balls for the first time in a couple weeks, needed some time off since I was developing some bad habits. Hit the ball great except for a few pulls but I will take them anyday over the hosel rockets I was hitting.

I have been fighting the shanks the last three rounds i played.....spent two hours on the range today.

Originally Posted by eaalto

I have been fighting the shanks the last three rounds i played.....spent two hours on the range today.

Yeah man I battled them for about a month and a half before I decided I needed a few weeks off.  Would be out there hitting one good shot out of 10 and wasn't having any fun.  During the time off though I worked on getting my swing on plane and not hanging back leaving the clubface open.  Today wasn't the best, lost about 10 yards on my irons, but I was more focused on doing shorter swings to get in a groove rather than doing full swings. 

Originally Posted by eaalto

Yeah man I battled them for about a month and a half before I decided I needed a few weeks off.  Would be out there hitting one good shot out of 10 and wasn't having any fun.  During the time off though I worked on getting my swing on plane and not hanging back leaving the clubface open.  Today wasn't the best, lost about 10 yards on my irons, but I was more focused on doing shorter swings to get in a groove rather than doing full swings. 

Yup.  I was playing some really good golf for a few weeks...getting consistent scores in the mid to low 80s, and then a week ago Friday I started shanking all of my irons/wedges to the right.  I'd have a perfect drive, and then hit my wedge into the trees.  On Tuesday I was 43 going out, 52 coming in.  Prior that that, 58 going out and 49 coming in.  I haven't shot over 100 in so long that it just made me $%+%#!$ hate golf.  I went out yesterday and it was the same thing - I just started picking up or just not hitting a drop after I lost each ball in the woods.  It happened on holes 4-9.  Perfect drive, shank to the woods.  I didn't keep score.  After that I got a large bucket of balls and just started experimented, but honestly every time I shanked it I just felt so helpless.  I tried standing ridiculously far from the ball, so that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to hit it off the hosel, and that seemed to fix it.  It feels unnatural, like I really feel outstretched to reach the ball, but if it works and I hit them long and straight, I really don't give a *@##. 

I shot an 83 yesterday with 4 doubles.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Eaalto- are you a member at the Neuse? I'm playing out there at 4 for the first time. I hope the greens are in good shape and not destroyed from this heat we've had lately.

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I shot an 83 yesterday with 4 doubles.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Eaalto- are you a member at the Neuse? I'm playing out there at 4 for the first time. I hope the greens are in good shape and not destroyed from this heat we've had lately.
Yeah I am.  You picked a bad time to go play the course - they verticut the greens and then sanded them this past week, so the greens aren't really playable.  They aerated back in mid May, and after a few weeks the greens were in fantastic shape and rolling really true, but I guess this is necessary to keep them in good shape.

I'm not playing until this heals:

I did this to myself by spending close to 2 hours on the range pounding ball after ball trying to rid myself of the shanks.  WORTH IT.

Shot an 86 with 40 putts.
sick.gif

Good course, but I couldn't make a putt to save my life. Good mix of long and short par 4s, every par 5 was a chance at birdie and the par 3s are challenging. Not too shabby.

This isn't intended to gloat, but it's a testament to the TM Burner 2.0. Teed up on the first hole, a 340-yard par 4. My ball eventually landed even with the green, 15 yards right. Crazy. Other shot of note: a drive that fought through some leaves and branches and still managed to rest 150 out on a 450-yard par 5. I felt like Bubba Watson (anyone see him hit the green on the 660-yard par 5 in two at the Firestone today?) I ended up carding a 75, a personal best. Now it's about repeating that.

shot a 45 today through 9 holes on a nice course up here in the PNW.

Felt like I could have easily gone for a 41, feel like i give up too many strokes on such ***$*+ shots smh

Back
Top Bottom