Any one in the Public Accounting industry here?

I was wondering if there are any tips you guys want to share when it comes to studying for the CPA while working in Public Accounting? I am graduating on Monday and going accepted an offer to work for a mid tier firm in San Francisco and I am beginning to worry that I wont have the time to pass the CPA while working those hours (when it comes to studying, it does take a little time for me to memorize things)

Additionally, I admittedly did not recruit for the Big 4 because I was scared off by the horror stories. But after seeing my peers going, I do wonder if I made the right choice (even if i really liked the firm that I ended up choosing) I have heard the golden ticket to go to a big 4 is basically one year of experience and passing the CPA. So any insight would be appreciated it.

I work for 1 of the big 4 in the HR dept. My best advise to you is to request an AWA which an alternative work arrangement so you can modify your work hours to help study for your CPA. Not sure if your firm allows it but i have seen people in my firm apply for it and have it approved. Good luck

At a non-big 4, chances are you'll have an off season so you can build your study schedule around off peak time.

If you're not living in SF and therefore have to commute via BART or other public transportation, studying during commute helps offset some time.

My only advice is, get it done as soon as humanly possible. Your responsibilities (and life duties) will increase exponentially ever year that goes by which makes getting it that much harder.

Back
Top Bottom