Any Other Bilingual NTer's?

English was my first language, but Spanish might as well have been, since that's all I heard in my house right after I was born.  And to you guys, how does it register with you?  In my mind, I'll hear something in Spanish and subconsciously I'm translating it into English.

Spanish was my first language and had to be in ESOL the first 3 years of my schooling career. I sometimes forget to switch it off after I finish talking to someone who only speaks spanish, & it happens to me @ work all too often.

I'm not bilingual because I'm not nearly fluent, but I can have limited conversations in Mandarin and in Latin.

Whenever I overhear Mandarin and I know it, it registers as English.

I've had dreams in Latin, though.

Tagalog is my 1st language.. moved here when i was 7-8 (?).. i have always been bilingual for as long as could remember (learned American English in Phillipines) 
but i always found it funny how my conscious went from tagalog to english when i went to middle school.. 
laugh.gif
 can anyone relate to that? 

1.English
2.French
3.Spanish
4.Fulani (The language of my people)

Next I want to learn Arabic. I know a few words but I want to be able to converse. Just don't know which country speaks it the best.
Then Portoguese.

English,Arabic, and French. I know really bad broken and intermediate level Spanish. I knew how to speak it better back in high school when I took some courses.

Fluent in English and Spanish (learned them both at the same time). Pretty good at Japanese and French (can converse pretty well in both).
I can translate any one of these four languages to another one in my head pretty seamlessly.
laugh.gif

English is my first language. Tagalog is my second language. I only speak it when i'm in the philippines for safety reasons
laugh.gif

english my first, cantonese my second.
i speak/understand a little french & some basic tagalog and mandarin as well.

my first tongue was spanish but i mastered english and have no accent in either languages(been speaking both since 4-5 years old)

i used to know ALOT of french which wouldve been my third language but i stopped takin it, but this summer ima start takin french classes to refresh my memory and know 3 languages steady.

Originally Posted by ShoEPimP702

English and Spanish, fluent in both.

This.

1. Spanish

2. English

French (don't know it yet but will learn it soon)

Originally Posted by proper english

Tagalog is my 1st language.. moved here when i was 7-8 (?).. i have always been bilingual for as long as could remember (learned American English in Phillipines) 
but i always found it funny how my conscious went from tagalog to english when i went to middle school.. 
laugh.gif
 can anyone relate to that? 
LOL... That was the case with me.  It didn't help that when we moved from Panama I went from being around my Mom's family and other Spanish-speaking kids to practically none at all.

Overall though, I'm surprised this is  that many bilingual (and multilingual) NTer's.  It's cool to me, because it seems like there are more and more parents who don't really want to teach their kids their chosen language because of the fear that they might get ridiculed.

Originally Posted by JD214

Originally Posted by ShoEPimP702

English and Spanish, fluent in both.

This.

1. Spanish

2. English

French (don't know it yet but will learn it soon) took it in school from 8th til 12th, was damn fluent but due to not using it after I graduated I forgot most of it
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom