Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Is there a better 80’s/90’s base card?
6EAF38BE-43FB-4A37-9F03-189775A746E5.jpeg
It is pretty much everyone's favorite card growing up during that era. This card and the 1984 Donruss #248 Don Mattingly rookie card, and 1982 Cal Ripken Topps Traded rookie were my favorite cards of the 80s.

Prices on the 89 upper deck Griffey card has skyrocketed since last month. Must be the lockdown that got many people that collected back then are collecting again. They're buying cards that they grew up collecting. This card in a PSA 10 was going for $600 $700 or so. Now, prices are 2x that.

In all honesty, they had to have made 1 billion Topps 1987 cards. Not only were they flooded everywhere back then but now 33 years later I see countless unopen 1987 boxes still :lol:

I think my dad that year literally bought 90 Will Clark rookies as "investments."

In all honesty, they had to have made 1 billion Topps 1987 cards. Not only were they flooded everywhere back then but now 33 years later I see countless unopen 1987 boxes still :lol:

I think my dad that year literally bought 90 Will Clark rookies as "investments."

I know someone who did exactly that with Jose Canseco's '86 Donruss.

1588359453927.png

He bought 100 of them when they were maybe a couple bucks. Jose followed that up with the 40/40 season and then a World Series, this card was well over a hundred dollars a piece.

200-250 dollar investment, to over 10 grand worth of cards. Now he'd be lucky to get the 250 unless he graded a bunch as 10's or 9.5's or somethin.

I know someone who did exactly that with Jose Canseco's '86 Donruss.

1588359453927.png

He bought 100 of them when they were maybe a couple bucks. Jose followed that up with the 40/40 season and then a World Series, this card was well over a hundred dollars a piece.

200-250 dollar investment, to over 10 grand worth of cards. Now he'd be lucky to get the 250 unless he graded a bunch as 10's or 9.5's or somethin.
Love that Donruss 1986 set. :pimp:
Such a hard set to grade too. Sent in 13 Canseco and got just one 10

Welp, pulled the trigger on the SSP rookie Ronald Acuna Bat Down in a PSA 10 last week. Used the entire Trump Bucks a few more dollars out of my pocket to purchase it :lol:. Going to go nicely with my Acuna collection

Dunno what happened but that Topps Project 2020 thing really got me hooked.
Most cards been selling 1-2k copies, that latest Baller/Trout sold 35k copies...crazy

Anyone else following those cards?

Most cards been selling 1-2k copies, that latest Baller/Trout sold 35k copies...crazy

Got the Griffey by Matt Taylor and the Tyson Beck

Just got back into collecting cards myself towards the beginning of the year. Most of my cards have been numbered NBA & NFL cards with low value followed by cards of players that played college ball at Ole Miss, Mississippi State & Southern Miss.

I think the highest valued card in my collection is the NHL Kaapo Kakko canvas card I recently pulled out of a jumbo pack. Don't know much about the sport, but he seems to be the main player that Youtube card breakers look for.

seriously, a billion is probably an understatement lol

this one always made me chuckle...1987 Topps again

SI.com

“(Livestream pack breaking) pretty much reenergized the whole market of how sports cards are moved,” Chris Justice says of the suddenly growing interest in cards. “It brings so much attention to the hobby. More people get to see it. It builds; it makes it grow. Right now, it’s the highest I’ve ever seen it—’87 to ’91, it was super big before it collapsed, but this is the biggest I’ve ever seen it.”

SI.com

“(Livestream pack breaking) pretty much reenergized the whole market of how sports cards are moved,” Chris Justice says of the suddenly growing interest in cards. “It brings so much attention to the hobby. More people get to see it. It builds; it makes it grow. Right now, it’s the highest I’ve ever seen it—’87 to ’91, it was super big before it collapsed, but this is the biggest I’ve ever seen it.”

I mean I get it, living vicariously through these streamers scratches a little bit of the itch...some of the rush with none of the risk. But nah, nowhere near the same energy lol. I gotta feel the disappointment live for myself.

I mean I get it, living vicariously through these streamers scratches a little bit of the itch...some of the rush with none of the risk. But nah, nowhere near the same energy lol. I gotta feel the disappointment live for myself.

there are youtubers who get a TON of views (and im assuming money as well from the views) doing pack openings on Fifa Ultimate Team :lol:

there are youtubers who get a TON of views (and im assuming money as well from the views) doing pack openings on Fifa Ultimate Team :lol:

I play NHL20/Hockey Ultimate Team and its the same (smaller scale though). And the guys who make those vids get all dramatic and start screaming at the top of their lungs when a rare pull comes up :lol: nah I can waste my time somewhere else.

Not really a fan of the Topps project cards. Not really my cup of tea but love the actual 2011 topps update mike trout card. Crazy that a common card selling for that much

This guy found the ultimate hustle. He bought a bunch of 1990 Panini sticker albums which you could get for about $50 on eBay. They all have a bunch of sticker sheets. He then cut up the sheets to get a bunch of Jordans that were graded PSA 10. A Jordan sticker from this set sells for $300-$350 in that grade:

Not to mention a bunch of other player it has, like Magic, Bird etc.

Are basketball cards re-emerging as being worth decent money now or what?

WOW that MJ.. gotta be worth a pretty penny no? gold sig looks so sick
Not so much because he’s wearing a NC uni lol. I His college issued autographs items doesn’t command the same premium as those Bulls items.

I don't even care having an authentic MJ sig that clean and nice = priceless

throw the Kobe on top.. woooo

Back
Top Bottom