Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

PSA is king right now. They’re gem mint grade (PSA 10) smashes BGS’ gem mint grade (BGS 9.5) in resale value. Now a BGS 10 still commands a premium over a PSA 10, but a BGS 10 is an insanely hard grade to get.

Some will argue a BGS 9.5 is equal to a PSA 10 in quality, which it probably is, but most people want to see the 10 and that’s what sells better. Like 2 times better on average.

IMO, PSA was handing out 10s like candy and a BGS 10 is a more true representation of what a 10 should be. There was a point where BGS was the clear leader but PSA has the biggest market share now and it’s not close. I hope BGS gets some of that back because again, I feel like the PSA 10 was just handed out without much thought, but we’ll see.

I agree but once this flare up fades away will the PSA cards still be worth as much as BGS to true collectors? I’ve heard true collectors don’t want pity 10’s. They want strong 10’s / rare and hard to get cards.

A PSA 10 may someday be seen as a “is it a 10 or is it really a 9” , or it could hold top rank. Who knows.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

Damn PSA taking over everything.

I thought I heard somewhere that PSA recently got or is getting some high end tech to look at cards in hopes to speed up their turnaround times. I felt as though this will cause some variance between PSA cards graded prior to this tech vs after it’s implemented. Thoughts?

That thought made me shy away from PSA for now, but I’m not ruling out pushing my Lugia to them for grading should I ever decide to sell it and them still being top dollar.

I believe the new tech is called Genamint. Tbh I don’t know much about it or if they even started using it yet.

I agree but once this flare up fades away will the PSA cards still be worth as much as BGS to true collectors? I’ve heard true collectors don’t want pity 10’s. They want strong 10’s / rare and hard to get cards.

A PSA 10 may someday be seen as a “is it a 10 or is it really a 9” , or it could hold top rank. Who knows.

Oh I get that. For me personally, a BGS 10 is a more true representation of a 10 than a PSA 10 and it trickles down from there. It may not be a popular opinion but I feel like it should be harder to get a 10 grade. I’m OCD like that so when I see a PSA 10 that I could tell is off-centered from an eBay thumbnail size picture, I’m turned off by it.

For my PC, if it’s cards I for sure wanna have long term I generally buy BGS. It’s considerably cheaper to get a BGS 9.5 than a PSA 10, and to me they’re just as good quality-wise. If I’m trying to flip something I’ll generally buy PSA.

BGS 9.5s are real good quality cards and way undervalued IMO.

Some Targets still stocking UFC
Screenshot_20210517-192710_YouTube.jpg

Dude that caught that restock said there were no limits either lolll

Anyone try SGC yet? I have a few cards that I know aren't worth a ton but I'm willing to get graded to test it out. Cards that could be worth a little more.

Think it's worth it? Or hold out for PSA/Beckett?

Last edited:
I’d recommend SGC if you don’t want to spend the crazy express price for bgs and Psa. Sgc would be considered the third best grading company out there. There turnaround times are very good right now. Check out sports card investors video about SgC at their headquarters.

since psa has the computer grading...it will be alot harder to get 10s

so if you got old school psa slabs in 10s or etc
its probably better to dump them off now and make that money..because it wouldn't gem mint if the computer reads it

once people catch on more they'll less willing to spend the money on the old psa stuff..and probably try to low ball even harder

let the next fool crack it open and resubmit it lol

since psa has the computer grading...it will be alot harder to get 10s

so if you got old school psa slabs in 10s or etc
its probably better to dump them off now and make that money..because it wouldn't gem mint if the computer reads it

once people catch on more they'll less willing to spend the money on the old psa stuff..and probably try to low ball even harder

let the next fool crack it open and resubmit it lol

damb. theoretically would PSA graded resell prices drop a little to even out with the other services? or would the increased rarity of 10s/9s drive those prices higher?

I got 25+ year old cards so I don't mind waiting for the dust to settle lol

damb. theoretically would PSA graded resell prices drop a little to even out with the other services? or would the increased rarity of 10s/9s drive those prices higher?

I got 25+ year old cards so I don't mind waiting for the dust to settle lol

I’ve heard arguments for both sides and a good amount of them make sense. I mean if it’s harder to get a 10 now, then something that already has a 10 should be worth more since that grade will be harder to get from now on. At the same time, anything with a new 10 grade might be the new standard for what a 10 is and then anything with an old 10 label will be worth less.

We could probably go on and on about scenarios but I guess we’ll just wait and see.

If you have cards that are 25+ years old, I wouldn’t shy away from sending them for grading. Just gotta be more picky about what you submit.

I’ve heard arguments for both sides and a good amount of them make sense. I mean if it’s harder to get a 10 now, then something that already has a 10 should be worth more since that grade will be harder to get from now on. At the same time, anything with a new 10 grade might be the new standard for what a 10 is and then anything with an old 10 label will be worth less.

We could probably go on and on about scenarios but I guess we’ll just wait and see.

If you have cards that are 25+ years old, I wouldn’t shy away from sending them for grading. Just gotta be more picky about what you submit.

good points. yeah ill just wait and see, no rush just wanna get the most $$$$.

nah for sure I'm gonna send them out I went through a lot of old cards that I had in binders/boxes last year due to all the free time we all had lol and picked out the ones that were worth it. was trying to wait out PSA's backlog lol but now I guess I'll wait it out some more.

If you’re even debating sending in cards to PSA I’d keep an eye out for when they open their lower tier services again and send them. The sooner you send them the sooner you get them back g.

had I sent my Lugia out in January I’d have it back already.. but I was like nah I’ll do it later haha

If you’re even debating sending in cards to PSA I’d keep an eye out for when they open their lower tier services again and send them. The sooner you send them the sooner you get them back g.

had I sent my Lugia out in January I’d have it back already.. but I was like nah I’ll do it later haha

touche. I only have like 20-25 cards so I'm thinking ill get a membership and use the member pricing/specials (a lot cheaper than non-member rates) or a third party service.

did you send out your Lugia solo or in a bulk send? throwing down thousands to get 20+ cards graded kinda defeats the purpose.

touche. I only have like 20-25 cards so I'm thinking ill get a membership and use the member pricing/specials (a lot cheaper than non-member rates) or a third party service.

did you send out your Lugia solo or in a bulk send? throwing down thousands to get 20+ cards graded kinda defeats the purpose.
I sent it solo through a local comic book shop who is partnered with CGC. They covered my shipping costs to CGC (I paid return fee) and I got a discount with them.

When I sent it in, it was $50 for a 14 day turnaround, but that’s once they crack it and fully receive it. I think right now it’s still in a box waiting to be opened and started.

How’s the card show scene in everybody’s city and surrounding areas? Definitely seeing a lot more popping up.

Down here in San Diego we started hosting our own because Orange County, Riverside County, and Los Angeles county were the closest ones. We’ve had roughly 250ish people come through each show. Honestly, the cards are great, but just hanging out in that environment is pretty damn fun too.

We’re actually in the works to try to have something in Vegas real soon.

Where is the best place to sell cards? My wife wants to go some home renovations. Thinking of selling my PSA 7 Jordan rookies to fund it.

Where is the best place to sell cards? My wife wants to go some home renovations. Thinking of selling my PSA 7 Jordan rookies to fund it.

eBay is the easiest but you’ll lose out on fees.

On IG, you could razz it, kinda like a raffle. Some accounts like theslabroom, fill razzes in minutes and charge about 10%. There’s other accounts out there that can do it for you too that MIGHT charge less, but they generally don’t fill as fast.

IG story/posts, if you have enough followers in the hobby that’ll see it.

Card shows. Either as a vendor or even just going there and asking the vendors if they’re buying.

Card shops will often do consignment or buy it from you outright.

eBay is the easiest but you’ll lose out on fees.

On IG, you could razz it, kinda like a raffle. Some accounts like theslabroom, fill razzes in minutes and charge about 10%. There’s other accounts out there that can do it for you too that MIGHT charge less, but they generally don’t fill as fast.

IG story/posts, if you have enough followers in the hobby that’ll see it.

Card shows. Either as a vendor or even just going there and asking the vendors if they’re buying.

Card shops will often do consignment or buy it from you outright.

Thanks for the info. Never thought I would ever sell them but all it's doing is just sitting in a drawer. I'll call a few shops in the area and see what they offer.

I am in a bunch of Facebook sports cards pages. I buy and sell on there often. Also blowoutcards forum. They have a marketplace. Of course selling on these platforms you avoid the middle man and fee service. Although just gotta be careful and do your due dilligence.

Personally, I worry about getting ripped off, so I’d send something like that to StockX. Not that they’re faultless, but I’ll take their fees in exchange for some peace of mind. Once you’re paid out, it’s their problem. I don’t need some scammer coming back 6 months later with some BS. But again, that’s just me.

NOTE: there isn’t squat for card stores in Savannah, so not too sure what’s around you.

C263CFE9-1C17-475B-AA53-C70B6955F12B.png

Personally, I worry about getting ripped off, so I’d send something like that to StockX. Not that they’re faultless, but I’ll take their fees in exchange for some peace of mind. Once you’re paid out, it’s their problem. I don’t need some scammer coming back 6 months later with some BS. But again, that’s just me.

NOTE: there isn’t squat for card stores in Savannah, so not too sure what’s around you.

C263CFE9-1C17-475B-AA53-C70B6955F12B.png

That's good to know. I'm going to have to do some research. I live in Northern Jersey so I don't think I'll have a hard time looking for card shows. It's just finding the right one that will pay a good price.

Back
Top Bottom