Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Gravedigging (along with the S&T forum)

Anyone still into cards and in particular basketball cards? What FB/IG accounts or other blogs etc are y’all following for releases? Was big into it as a kid but couldn’t afford it but now that I’m older I’m dabbling back into it. How do you even know about certain releases (hobby/retail) or even the recent Fanatics Optic box which sold out quickly? Not many local shops near me.

Thanks!
Garyveee lol. Slabstox and herosforsale. Check those for ig. Sometimes I check Facebook market and Craigslist.

My dad left me a ton of sports cards

1993-SP-Derek-Jeter-RC-2.jpg

There is one of these that I want to have graded...went straight from the pack to a sleeve when he got it

Got bored a few summers ago and got back into cards. Bought up everything I had back in the 90’s. Cards that use to go for hundreds can now be bought for $20. After I bought up everything cool that I had, i’ve been buying rookies of iconic basketball, football, and hockey players from ‘85ish through ‘99ish. Have pretty much everyone but Akeem, MJ, and Mario Lemieux.

For those that are interested in getting into the hobby, I recommend poking around checkoutmycards.com. Great resource for looking up prices rom just cruising for nostalgia.

anyone pick up any of those topps 20 cards? I grabbed the Griffey by King Saladeen.

Question - In what way? Just went through some of my old stuff...
Anything Jordan or even bulls (Pippen) and recent rookies are absurd. Bought a couple 2012 Prizm Base card (Lebron) about a month ago - month later it’s about 5x value.

was a long term hold for me but couldn’t say no to that return for a BASE card at the moment.

A lot of collectors like to blame sneakerheads for the rise in popularity and prices in the past two years. It’s not the case at all, but they need someone to blame.

isn’t that a good thing though? Rise in popularity means increase in value and makes it a bit funner no? Unless it’s strictly about a PC but value and PC go hand in hand in enjoyment imo.

isn’t that a good thing though? Rise in popularity means increase in value and makes it a bit funner no? Unless it’s strictly about a PC but value and PC go hand in hand in enjoyment imo.

They are just feeling what us sneaker collectors felt back around 2007-2010 when everything blew up. It makes product tougher to get and drives prices way up and drives people to buy on secondary market.

Another question for you fellas in the know.... do we basically have to grade every card we want to sell? Is there no huge market for non-graded stuff? Thanks.

Another question for you fellas in the know.... do we basically have to grade every card we want to sell? Is there no huge market for non-graded stuff? Thanks.
There is a market for raw cards. Those people like to buy non graded cards and send them in for grading themselves. If its not worth sending in, you can always resale it. I was one of them lol. One card I regret not buying raw when it was low was the 2018 Topps Series 2 Ronald Acuna Jr bat down. At the time, I thought I could pull one out of a pack, but never did. Now prices are crazy

But yes, do your best to grade the card yourself before sending it in and getting it slabbed up. Like is the photo perfectly centered, any soft corners or dings, and paint chips on the edges, and are there any scratches or bumps on it. Also, it depends on who is grading your cards. Your opinion on what a 10 is is different than what the grader think is a 10. I have had cards that should be 9 ended up being 10s and what should be 10s end up being 9s and lower. For that very reason, ALWAYS buy the card and not the grade. If your trying to send cards in from the junk wax era and trying to get a 10 on them, good luck with that lol.

Man, I still got seven boxes for mlb 2018 Topps Chrome update and 4 boxes of 2018 Topps Update. I got the itch to open it but prices have really gone up on these boxes. I think prices will continue to climb.

There is a market for raw cards. Those people like to buy non graded cards and send them in for grading themselves. If its not worth sending in, you can always resale it. I was one of them lol. One card I regret not buying raw when it was low was the 2018 Topps Series 2 Ronald Acuna Jr bat down. At the time, I thought I could pull one out of a pack, but never did. Now prices are crazy

But yes, do your best to grade the card yourself before sending it in and getting it slabbed up. Like is the photo perfectly centered, any soft corners or dings, and paint chips on the edges, and are there any scratches or bumps on it. Also, it depends on who is grading your cards. Your opinion on what a 10 is is different than what the grader think is a 10. I have had cards that should be 9 ended up being 10s and what should be 10s end up being 9s and lower. For that very reason, ALWAYS buy the card and not the grade. If your trying to send cards in from the junk wax era and trying to get a 10 on them, good luck with that lol.

Man, I still got seven boxes for mlb 2018 Topps Chrome update and 4 boxes of 2018 Topps Update. I got the itch to open it but prices have really gone up on these boxes. I think prices will continue to climb.

always a market for ungraded
you use someone or you send yourself?

always a market for ungraded
you use someone or you send yourself?
I knew someone that would send it for me since we were spiting the cost to grade it. But I've been sending it myself since he didn't have time for the hobby anymore. In the past, I usually send lots of 100 cards in to get them slab up since it will be cheaper per card. If I get like a Rookie Card Tom Brady in great condition, I'm sending that one card in for grading. It will cost a little more per card but I can flip it for profit off him easily. Have sent anything in for about a year tho.

I can't find the youtube channel that help me sending cards into PSA but it isn't not that hard. PSA do want you to send it in a certain way. It's all on their website.

This guy channel is cool. He buy cards raw and sends them in for grading. He also shows how to send cards into PSA and what to look for before you send it in. You are going to have to look for it cause he has lots of videos lol

Where do you even start with cards these days? I have a ton of older stuff from the early ‘90s when I was using Beckett for prices. Is it still the same platform to get prices or has that changed over the years?

Don't recall Panini being around when I collected either. Skybox and Beam Team was the new new, Fleer, Tops, and Upperdeck was kinda new, too.

I guess I’ll need to look around to see where to get some Panini’s for S&Gs. Curious what a pack of cards cost these days, too.

It wasn’t around back then. 2012+ they had the rights to the league.

Gauging prices is probably best done on eBay since the market is changing so quickly now.

Prices are a lot if you’re not able to get at a retailer (Target/Walmart/etc) and even LCS shops are marked up.

Back
Top Bottom