Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

I have one box of NBA Hoops left if anyone needs it.

PSA officially upped their prices today as expected. It really makes me unsure what to do with my two kobes now. I've had an offer over $1k for them rare but i feel the possibly of a high grade is there and could jump the value up by an incredible amount.

a personal check! Seller better wait a week for that check to clear. Cashiers check or no sale.

tumblr_mtcm71ReTF1sh1vgto2_500.gif

I don’t see a market for cards and holding this value in 10 years

people might crucify me but I don’t see how this card will be worth double or even what he paid

what goes up must come down eventually, IMO
10 years is a long time, I agree that a market correction is bound to happen in that time frame. Now 2-3 years from now, are we still going to see the same gains? I'm not too sure, I'm leaning towards yes but the manipulation in this hobby is insane.

I had excellent gains last year but naturally, I'm also priced out of stuff I want to add in my collection. At this point, I'm not too comfortable buying at these prices. I'll just sit and be a spectator until I see a real dip.

PSA officially upped their prices today as expected. It really makes me unsure what to do with my two kobes now. I've had an offer over $1k for them rare but i feel the possibly of a high grade is there and could jump the value up by an incredible amount.

Which Kobe's are they? If it's TC still worth grading in my opinion.

I’ll take that nba hoops if u have still!

Idk about that, luka is insanely good

And he just turned 22, he’s doing stuff lebron never did..
Players in the following generation are going to progress the game. Saying stuff one “never did” doesn’t mean much.

Psa upped their prices. Cgc is the cream of the crop for comics but their cases for their cards are whack to me. They just don’t look right trying to keep the same style from their comic slab.

First time hitting at Target

The shelves at my target are empty all day every day. Maybe magic the gathering is left but sports card and Pokémon get cleaned out as soon as the dude stocks the shelves. I heard there are 30+ people waiting every morning. It’s wild.

anyone get lucky on finding anything close to retail on the second market? been tryna score some hoops and pokemon shining fates but damn ppl be forcing it :sick:

The Nike resell scandal reminds me of the trading card market back in the early '90's.
Card companies started really churning out "limited edition" cards that were immediately
worth a lot and very hard to acquire...they were almost printing themselves money because
, in some cases, they were producing these cards and then employees were getting them first...and then reselling them for high prices virtually creating the market and value for them.

If they were smart enough to do that then....

anyone get lucky on finding anything close to retail on the second market? been tryna score some hoops and pokemon shining fates but damn ppl be forcing it :sick:

idk anything about pokemon but, unless you got a direct homie hook up, nobody is selling any of the hot products for retail

That said, Hoops 2020-21 is a little bit cheaper than its been since product is starting to pop up more now, but I just looked.. still looking at $50-$60/blaster $15-$20/cello, which is still 2.5x-4x retail. megas down to about $110ish, which is about 2x retail. If you're itching to rip new b ball thats prob your best bet

The Nike resell scandal reminds me of the trading card market back in the early '90's.
Card companies started really churning out "limited edition" cards that were immediately
worth a lot and very hard to acquire...they were almost printing themselves money because
, in some cases, they were producing these cards and then employees were getting them first...and then reselling them for high prices virtually creating the market and value for them.

only thing I remember about the 90s regarding cards is the opposite of "limited edition": junk wax lol What company was doing this? I do know when some of these companies were going out of business some funny stuff went down with old product/leftover inventory.

Last edited:

A buddy of mine who was heavy into cards told me one of the, if not the biggest card retailer to this day went straight to upper deck and bought out their entire stock of a specific series and resold it for $$$$. Same back door as joe herbert. This was years ago, probably late 90s.

Dumb questions. I collected cards a LONG time ago when I was a kid as a hobby more so to get the cards of my favorite players, not to make money. How do "raw" cards and graded cards work?? If you get them in a pack, they're considered raw and won't be worth as much?? If you send them out to get graded, that's when the value jumps up?? What's the criteria for grades?? 10 being flawless?? So does that mean as soon as you get a card of value, you've got to risk it getting damaged when sending it out??

Dumb questions. I collected cards a LONG time ago when I was a kid as a hobby more so to get the cards of my favorite players, not to make money. How do "raw" cards and graded cards work?? If you get them in a pack, they're considered raw and won't be worth as much?? If you send them out to get graded, that's when the value jumps up?? What's the criteria for grades?? 10 being flawless?? So does that mean as soon as you get a card of value, you've got to risk it getting damaged when sending it out??

Here is something to add to what you posted...should graded items be subject to re-grading
after a certain amount of time? Things degrade.

In terms of vintage toys for example...plastic degrades, etc...So a Star Wars figure that got a
90/95+ grade - what if it turns yellow in the case? What if it is noticeably a lower grade after
a certain amount of time? Should it not be re-graded?

In terms of trading cards - those T206s aren't gonna stay the same indefinitely. And other. newer
cards might not either. Oh you display them? That'll cut down on their lifespan for sure.

How would someone be able to sell a high graded vintage toy that is clearly in worse shape than
a lower graded figure because of it degrading in the case over time. IMO it calls the whole grading
phenomenon into question for everything...never mind who you know might get you a better grade,
or get someone else a better grade than you, etc.

Also, to address your post - it seems to me that a card that goes from production to case without
having to be put into a pack would have a much higher chance at a higher grade than a card pulled
from a pack. I used to hear that 10s were hard to come by from packs. So where do they come from?
Different places I suppose.

idk anything about pokemon but, unless you got a direct homie hook up, nobody is selling any of the hot products for retail

That said, Hoops 2020-21 is a little bit cheaper than its been since product is starting to pop up more now, but I just looked.. still looking at $50-$60/blaster $15-$20/cello, which is still 2.5x-4x retail. megas down to about $110ish, which is about 2x retail. If you're itching to rip new b ball thats prob your best bet

only thing I remember about the 90s regarding cards is the opposite of "limited edition": junk wax lol What company was doing this? I do know when some of these companies were going out of business some funny stuff went down with old product/leftover inventory.
Rumor is ud was printing sheets of griffey rookies and providing them to employees to sell. I think maybe some hockey cards were involved too iirc

Back
Top Bottom