anyone figure out why kobe is wearing 2k4?

^^^
applause. I agree with you bro. He took down vulkans Kobe 3 post by trash talking.
NIKE Talking Since
'94

cb6d68be-de58-453f-a008-6d8d34a9991b.jpg
ALCS

Man Kobe needs to strap those shoes up we can't afford for him to go down with a ankle sprain.

RockDeep,

1. Kobe failing as an endorser IS Nike failing. The Vick situation doesn't help this, with Kobe's Q rating dropping even further after this offseasons "trade me", events, making him look even more like the spoiled, petulant individual, who cannot understand the word no, makes marketing his shoes in the US even tougher! Dropping the Vick line, then having Kobe's flop cannot help Nike, it has to hurt them! Having the shoes on ID only allows options for those who like the shoe, to use different colorblocking! From what I know, you can't 39.99 an ID!

2. The only way you can get under anyones skin, is if you are telling the truth about what they love and adore. If it were a lie, it could be ignored and then shunned by those who are secure with their truths.

3. Speaking of which, truth is, the ZKII did fail nationally! The only major market it did well in was LA, which made up the bulk of the sales, how is this an opinion???? If it failed here in the TRI State area, RTVed from most stores, how is that a success??????

4. Nike knows that Kobe is big in Asia, that is why they got back with him. His apparel does well there, pandering actually, and the media doesn't get into his petulant behaviour there. All they care about is his jumping high, and then doing amazing things while up there with a Basketball. They do not care if he wins or loses, all they care about is material items marketed by a famous individual.

Also, I don't think that Nike has told Kobe to wear the 2K4 Rock Deep. I think that both you and I know better than that, especially concerning this guy.

If the ZK2 line were doing so well, why wouldn't the LITES get more exposure??????
BASKETBALL IS A BROTHERHOOD

"but alot of the things Kobe does I would never have done."

MJ in GQ

i see Rock and Mr. JJ going back and forth with facts and opinions on how well Kobe's shoes are doing.

I am in no way an insider, nor do i have any "facts", but I do believe on thing...

Regardless of Kobe's image here in the states...

Poor sales cannot be blamed entirely on Kobe IMO.

How can Nike honestly expect a $130 sneaker (ZKI/ZKII), to have outstanding sales with little to no promotion?

Kobe can only do so much, and he has done his part IMO.

81 points and the big games against PHX in the ZKI, and the string of 40+ and 50+ games he had earlier this year in the ZKII.

Let's be honest, how many people watching these games are looking at his feet of even care what he's wearing? How many of them actually play basketball? How many of them are even into sneakers at all?

I believe Nike has really dropped the ball. Since the ZKI came out, two years in FEB, there's been no commercial. NOT ONE. Only a few ads in magazines for the ZKI, temporary ads in stores that carry the shoes, and a little bit in the Eastbay magazine. The 81 point game was a couple weeks before the ZKI came out, all Nike had to do was throw some clips together from the 81 point game, get a shot of the shoe in there, and call it a day.

It's really a damn shame.

Kobe is the best player in the League.

Kobe has had arguably the best performing shoe out for the past two years.

Yet there is no major promotion.

"2002/2003 - The Last Year Brand Jordan actually used "real leather" on their products."-BabyJordan0312​

Team Disgruntled​

Quote:
in the above case, both of them broke out older model shoes that were wayyyy better than their current shoes at the time.

i dont know if that pic is from the 2002 or the 2003 season, BUT i do know that XIs dont perform better the XVIIs or XVIIIs.

as far as Scottie in the 2s, his line had already ended and he was probably just wearing a favorite.

Quote:
plus jordan was probably promoting the new colorway for the 11s, possibility?
"2002/2003 - The Last Year Brand Jordan actually used "real leather" on their products."-BabyJordan0312​
Team Disgruntled​

What about those "Love me or Hate me", ads???? I saw ads all over Slam, and billboards, about his shoes.

They were simply rejected.

Here's a little ditty about Kobe from Esquire Mag Nov 07 issue:

" He sees his work as his art, his calling. Like Jason Bourne and James Bond, two of his cinematic heroes, Kobe sees himself as as an uber-practitioner: a modern warrior able to solve any problem, able to train his way into dominance. He is the self styled black mamba, known for its striking ability, aggression, and speed. All those sweaty commercials for Sprite and Nike? Those were his idea. Film my workout, he suggested. That is the essence of me: the guy who guts it out every rep."

Now does this sound like a guy that Nike is gonna tell what to wear?

Oh, but I don't deal in facts....

MJ in GQ

Hey Jack...

You are right about everything.

lol.

I must not work where I work then.

...This dude is pure comedy. His Opinions WILL be facts if he has ANYTHING to do with it!! lol

Carry on my man. You really do crack me up with your "knowledge" of the line. lol

I really need to start paying attention around here OR just call you to REALLY find out what's going on eh?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

George Bush really believes that he is fighting and winning a war on terror. He is allowed to speak and think that way, being that he is the President of the United States. But on the home front, there are those who see things a bit differently, even though they may not have the so_called 'facts' that Bush has available to him!

Now, you might be right, and I may be as well, couldn't that be possible? Especially considering that there is a post right above this one, suggesting that one should not pay full retail for kicks!

In that very post, the Gentleman speaks of finding the ZK2's, in the very color that you've suggested that one would NOT find at discount, due to better than average sales, Black/Maize, for 59.99!

Here's a bit more from that Esquire article:
"Kobe will be off on a Nike - sponsored tour of Asia, six cities in seven days, where his apparel sells through at almost twice the normal rate."

Now, I gotta ask, is this wrong??? Especially since the ZK1 sold so bad here?

I'm not arguing with ya' Rock, but what gives????

MJ in GQ

Hey don't get me wrong Mr. Johnson.

I never said a Retailer could NOT reduce prices of their Product. As much Product as Nike has the Retailer purchase, they HAVE to move Product in order to make room for more.

But I think you think if there is a SALE for a certain shoe, this means there is a FULL Size Run of that shoe for sale. Most times, this is to move the balance of that inventory. Not the entire received stock.

Also, as a Consumer who goes to a few shoe stores in their area, you can not base the success or failure of a shoe on the availability of it in those stores.

If there is 5 kicks or 10 kicks left. Who says how many they had to start? Who says other stores in the region didn't sell out what they had?

There are alot of variables in what is the success of a shoe at retail. Not just the opinion of someone who doesnt like the player.

If that were the case. Nike would have a Negative Balance sheet when it comes to Kobe on my opinion of him alone.

By the way Nike DOES NOT set up Nikeid to appease the few. The FEW don't make Nike money. Only the Masses.

P.S. I don't consider this arguing really.. but it's funny when you say I am basing my statements on opinions when I actually see numbers nationally AND by Region.

Oh Yeah.. AND Marketing did have Kobe wear the 2k4's. Thats a fact. I just wanted to let everyone know why this happens.
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

I sort of get what u are saying jack but can you honestly argue with someone that works for Nike. May I ask you one question jack????

Why do you argue/complain when it comes to Kobe? Can you answer that? That's all we want to know? If answered, I will respect that very much.
NIKE Talking Since
'94

I am not talking about retail stores RockDeep, I am speaking OUTLETS just like the thread above. Correct me if I am wrong, but outlets only recieve top Sig shoes, if they are RTV'd, or recalled or then have an overrun, right?

BTW, I don't go to a few stores for my info, as much as you would LIKE to lead people to believe. I know people and then have access to things, just...like....you. I just don't paint the pretty picture.

MJ in GQ

Touche'

Rock, I respect that Nike is your crew, and from what I know, you've never come at me from the left. But in all honesty, with the way that this guy Kobe acts, especially with his antics with the Laker front office and Jerry Buss, a team that he is contractually, then should be MORALLY, binded to, even after they backed him in the Shaq and Colorado deals, I cannot see NIKE telling this guy what to do!

I just can't!

That is my opinion!

Here's what I see, Kobe rocks the 2K4's, then Nike sees this, then spins it as if they are the ones who told him to do it, just to make it look like there is nothing wrong with the LITES of the II line, which didn't do too well in sales, nor seem to have a demand.

JMO, not a swing at you Rock!

MJ in GQ

Quote:
What about those "Love me or Hate me", ads???? I saw ads all over Slam, and billboards, about his shoes.
Team Disgruntled​

i live in asia now, and we get bombarded with kobe stuff - tv commercials, print ads, humongous billboards..

seeing how hard he works out gave me some new respect for the guy. he was chilling on a tuesday night at a club my friend DJs at, but i ain't really the kinda dude to be starstruck and drive out there just to hang out. apparently he's a cool cat when he's kicking back, although he admittedly comes across as real media savvy when he does interviews. either way though, i respect his game on the court (i'd just never want to be on his team, 'cause i'd never see the ball)

kobe or not, the 2k4s are a good balling shoe.. at least the first ones, with the nice white leather.. i tore a pair up indoors then outdoors, and have a reserve pair i'm getting ready to break out. the black/maize pair, however, felt really cheaply (thinly) constructed when i tried them out at the outlets here (earlier this year before they retroed in america), where they had been sitting for.. i guess almost 2 years? a full (asia/pacific) size run, 8 to 13.

apparently the black/maize kobe 2 is selling well here, but i know the blackout, mpls, and first color zk1s are still plentiful at the outlets here, and this is one of the basketball capitals of asia, kobe's first stop on his asian tour.

..with so much personality,
what do you want from me?
i could be by myself and enjoy the company..
but i'd ratherher

nike has a schedule when shoes go to the outlets.Ive worked at both niketowns and outlets and for the most part you wont see a shoe sit at a niketown for more than 3-4 months.Most regoinal outlets that have a niketown near it receive a majority of their stock from that niketown.However,a shoe like the zoom kobe 2's or zoom lebrons or whatever,nike and say footlocker/champs will buy back any overstock thats sitting in the warehouse while champs/footlocker normally keeps the existing stock at the stores until it sells or like the northeast region,redistributes it within the company mind you eastbay/champs and footlocker all keep the same warehouse.Nike would release the overstock bought back to the outlets rather than have shoes get stagnate on a shelf.Notice how stock is regionally different because while the zoom kobes may not move in the northeast region,southwest region moves the product better.at that point your footlocker/champs stock goes back to being redistributed within nike.the kobe 2's first popped up at the southwest outlets for 89.99.I mean at this point what qualifies as a failure?zoom kobe 2's are done and discontinued,they were released what in march and made it to the outlets by september/october,thats right on schedule for nike.The Lites however are a little confusing with kobe starting the preseason in the lites but switching to the laser 2k4's that have been out since the summer.Maybe again marketing is trying to get people used to seeing kobe in the lasered 2k4's to generate some interest because it's been how many years since people have seen kobe in a pair of 2k4's.The lites have an unfortunate problem of having to compete with the zoom bb and adidas ts lightspeed all being in the same class and in the case of the zoom bb's have been visable since last year's playoffs.No we arent talking about performance but theres no doubt visibility has a big hand in the direction companies move their products-christmas games,superbowl ad's,allstar games,playoffs.

check out my blog unds'ed/

Air J XIII,

Your point about him shooting around in 2K5's, in a commercial that should have had the ZK1's in it, which were released at that time, kinda proves my point about Nike not having any control over what this guy wears, even in a nationally televised commercial for the Brand!

I don't know, but hey!

MJ in GQ

here's a link to info on the Kobe Commercial And interpretation will be different for everyone,I believe the aim of the ad wasnt to sell the zoom kobe 1 but to reestablish kobe as a spokesperson.For nike to do the whole love me or hate me commercial and then end it with a shot of the zoom Kobe 1 would make the commercial come off as being insincere which I believe why they ended the commercial with a shot of him not some shoe or his feet.The only reason any of us noticed what kobe was wearing is because we're on this forum.
check out my blog unds'ed/

^it didnt appear that they shot him shooting specifically for the commercial, more like they took old footage and used it for the commercial

Team Disgruntled​

You guys above are exactly right.

That was not for the ZK1 but to introduce Kobe back into the Market as a Seller of shoes.

JJ.

Nike gives Kobe shoes to wear. They are HAND DELIVERED to him OR his Equipment Manager. His business manager TELLS him what the plans are and he has a choice of which 2K4s to wear. He doesn't just wear WHATEVER he wants if the plan is to have him wear a specific shoe.

Kobe can't go and produce his own shoes. He is not pulling shoes from the previous season to wear this season. Most players don't go thru the hassle of taking ALL their shoes home and bring them back for the next season.

Why when Nike sends them to their doorstep.

Now you know how the inner workings go with regard to each athelete wearing a said shoe.

Thats like sayin ALL the other players sent shoes by Nike go out and get their own to wear instead. Do you know how soon they would stop being sent shoes?

Kobe is no different. He trusts the people behind him. He actually wears the shoes he endorses WELL before he is seen publicly. He HAS to in able to insure he is going to be able to wear it in a real game.

When a commercial is done, NO athlete.. NONE have ANY say in what they wear. Thats just crazy. Marketing Controls ALL that. Design does enhancements in case there are problems a player is having with a shoe, but if Nike is trying to push a product, they will enhance said shoe as much as possible. For the player that is.

If I'm not mistaken that "Love/Hate" commercial was shot like a year before it was aired. Jack J just leave this board. This is NIKEtalk. Not ADIDAStalk. If you hate Kobe don't come on this side of Niketalk. Its that simple. Trust me it works. I've tried it. I personally do not think Kobe is as bad as a guy that people believe him to be. I think he and Jordan are alike but Jordan just had a better way of dealing with things. He fought teammates, he was considered a ball hog, he cheated on his wife, got other women pregnant, etc. but Jordan was loved and Kobe never really clicked with people like Jordan. I will be the first to admit that Kobe can be hard to support sometimes but he is human and I don't believe he that calculated like Jack believes. If he was that bad Nike would drop him because they would not risk hurting the brand image just to make a few bucks in Asia.

Can we please get back to the shoes.

this kid Mr Jackson is a hater. This is NIketalk , get that weak Adidas sig outta here.

Back
Top Bottom