Anyone here do 100 hour work weeks regularly?

I do 72-96 hours most weeks, occasionally 120 as a fireman. Thing is I work 24 hour shifts and sleep at night/take naps during the day when we are not busy. That is rare though; I work at one of the busiest stations in the 4th largest FD in the U.S. Firefighters rank as one of the most stressful jobs but also one of the most satisfying jobs. I wouldn't want to do anything else and I've never met a fireman who did not like their job. Anything over 48 hours a week is overtime which also goes towards padding my pension. I still have plenty of time off to do whatever or work extra/another job.
My dad' is a firemen and he gets soooooooo many days off 

atleast 4-5 a week

Me myself, I work 45 hours a week, and not a minute over 

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is taking a two wk vacation (at least) to undwind is essential (annually)

Last edited:

I guess it has more to do with people working jobs that aren't satisfying/don't give equal return....

If you are doing work that you love... it doesn't matter if the work is done in an office
Yeah the biggest thing is the environment, regardless of what you're doing. I love the company I work for, its small (under 50 employees) but you feel like family and not just a worker bee. 

I do 72-96 hours most weeks, occasionally 120 as a fireman. Thing is I work 24 hour shifts and sleep at night/take naps during the day when we are not busy. That is rare though; I work at one of the busiest stations in the 4th largest FD in the U.S. Firefighters rank as one of the most stressful jobs but also one of the most satisfying jobs. I wouldn't want to do anything else and I've never met a fireman who did not like their job. Anything over 48 hours a week is overtime which also goes towards padding my pension. I still have plenty of time off to do whatever or work extra/another job.
My dad' is a firemen and he gets soooooooo many days off 

atleast 4-5 a week

Me myself, I work 45 hours a week, and not a minute over 
Ya from what a customer told me at my former workplace, apparently firefighters in my city work like 48 hours straight or something then have the rest of their week off. And a lot of them have their own businesses on the side. So two incomes at least for those guys. 

i dont but im burnt out as is. usually work 1 job 5am to 10am . takes 2 hrs to get there almost but leave an hour early because trains are horrible in the am so im up at 1 am the latest , leave for 2 am. 45 mins to get to next job. about 1130 to 730pm then home by 8 or 9. i bs heavy at the second job though .
every other weekend im off though and in between i may only work 1 job

i dont but im burnt out as is. usually work 1 job 5am to 10am . takes 2 hrs to get there almost but leave an hour early because trains are horrible in the am so im up at 1 am the latest , leave for 2 am. 45 mins to get to next job. about 1130 to 730pm then home by 8 or 9. i bs heavy at the second job though .
every other weekend im off though and in between i may only work 1 job
what do you do?

It was absolutely worth it IMO. I was in Investment Banking for the last 5 years and I've learned more in those 5 years than I've ever learned while formally being in school. The skills, tools and lessons learned on the job helped me with every facet of my life. People ask me all the time if I could, would I go back and do something else. My answer has always been no. It was tough in the beginning and at the expense of having a personal life, but the benefits outweighed the negatives.

I've met some incredible people and had a chance to also see the world. Plus, the money was great. But only when I got to spend it :lol:

Like? I've always heard that as well but when I've asked people to be more specific I've usually gotten pretty useless/generic/BS answers. The 'I learned so much' line just seems like something people say to justify a career choice that in the eyes of most people is only rewarding financially.

There's so many things I learned. It's hard to just list them all down without any proper context being mentioned. But in a nutshell, I learned a lot about valuating companies, understanding how to run a company, boardroom behavior, really got a good understanding of how to build a strong client-service provider relationship.

Not to mention, I learned about accountability, discipline and maturity.

No way I could actually be productive for that long. I work 40-45 now and by Friday afternoon my attention span is shot. Dunno how ppl put in 60+ hour weeks, unless they're sitting around doing nothing.

damn I feel tired if I work a legit 40 hours :x

If I work 6 days straight with no day off I'm pissed :x

Respect to y'all, do you guys have wives? children? How do you maintain?

There's so many things I learned. It's hard to just list them all down without any proper context being mentioned. But in a nutshell, I learned a lot about valuating companies, understanding how to run a company, boardroom behavior, really got a good understanding of how to build a strong client-service provider relationship.

What did you study in college? I have a hard time seeing how you could have learned more in those 5 years than in all your years of schooling.

Not trying to come at you, I'm just genuinely curious. Banking/consulting doesn't strike me as a particularly intellectually rewarding job. I've met some incredibly smart people going into IB, but usually they couldn't find work in their field of study so they resorted to that. Most of the students I saw from my school (Ivy) going into those fields weren't exactly concerned with "learning" while in school :lol:.

What did you study in college? I have a hard time seeing how you could have learned more in those 5 years than in all your years of schooling.

Not trying to come at you, I'm just genuinely curious. Banking/consulting doesn't strike me as a particularly intellectually rewarding job. I've met some incredibly smart people going into IB, but usually they couldn't find work in their field of study so they resorted to that. Most of the students I saw from my school (Ivy) going into those fields weren't exactly concerned with "learning" while in school :lol:.

Majored in Mechanical Engineering.

I feel like I learned a lot, because I didn't have a finance background prior to going into IB.

I feel like I learned a lot, because I didn't have a finance background prior to going into IB.

got it.

I guess I'm just a bit biased because I've heard the "I'm going to Goldman/JPMorgan/UBS/etc. because I want to be a part of something greater and make a positive impact, I believe in the ethical values of the company, I want to meet a lot of different people, I want to learn a lot" reasoning so many times and it almost always sounds like the person is just regurgitating the company website. I don't have a problem with someone going into a certain field for the $, but it's weird that people feel the need to cover that up. As if there's something wrong with that

I work about 17 hrs a day in the oil field , not hard just hot to stay busy or have some music to keep you occupied or the day drags

I work about 17 hrs a day in the oil field , not hard just hot to stay busy or have some music to keep you occupied or the day drags
17 hours a day? how many days a week are you out there?  Isn't that super rough and dangerous work?  I heard of people in North Dakota losing fingers etc. from that line of work

17 hours a day? how many days a week are you out there?  Isn't that super rough and dangerous work?  I heard of people in North Dakota losing fingers etc. from that line of work

It's not that hard , we don't do a whole lot during the shift honestly. I work 14 days straight and I'm off a week ( which I get paid off ). It's dangerous only when your rushing or you don't know what your doing, it's so many safety people here and precautions that you have to be looking to get hurt to actually get hurt. I work in south Texas so it's always 100 plus from June till sept

At my old job I used to work a steady 40 hrs a week. Sometimes when we had a call out I would volunteer to stay. Most I've ever done was 56 in a week. One of those days in that week I worked a double shift. I was there from 6am to about 10:45pm. I'm never doing that again.

Last edited:
It's not that hard , we don't do a whole lot during the shift honestly. I work 14 days straight and I'm off a week ( which I get paid off ). It's dangerous only when your rushing or you don't know what your doing, it's so many safety people here and precautions that you have to be looking to get hurt to actually get hurt. I work in south Texas so it's always 100 plus from June till sept
Overall do you think it's worth it?  Is it something you think you can do for the long haul or just something to save some money up and leave?

Overall do you think it's worth it?  Is it something you think you can do for the long haul or just something to save some money up and leave?

The later , i wouldn't want to start a family doing this work . People make it work though and it is one of the only jobs where with no post highschool education you can make six figures a year. You don't have to work in the field to make that type of money either in the oilfeild there's portions where your able to get to the the house everyday but it's all where you live. If I work my 2 weeks in the field I'll get about 4k after taxes on my check if I got home everyday and have weekends off ill bring in 1500-2000.

The later , i wouldn't want to start a family doing this work . People make it work though and it is one of the only jobs where with no post highschool education you can make six figures a year. You don't have to work in the field to make that type of money either in the oilfeild there's portions where your able to get to the the house everyday but it's all where you live. If I work my 2 weeks in the field I'll get about 4k after taxes on my check if I got home everyday and have weekends off ill bring in 1500-2000.
Seems similar to longshoreman's and truckers with the earning potential 6 figures without college degree.  Anything else appealing about it besides the money though?

got it.

I guess I'm just a bit biased because I've heard the "I'm going to Goldman/JPMorgan/UBS/etc. because I want to be a part of something greater and make a positive impact, I believe in the ethical values of the company, I want to meet a lot of different people, I want to learn a lot" reasoning so many times and it almost always sounds like the person is just regurgitating the company website. I don't have a problem with someone going into a certain field for the $, but it's weird that people feel the need to cover that up. As if there's something wrong with that

To be honest, at first I wanted to go into IB just because it was going to pay me the most money right out of school. At the time I was interviewing for a lot of different companies covering several different industries.

It came down to IB and 2 tech companies (one start-up and one well established). At the end, IB offered me the most amount of money and I got to stay close to home.

It wasn't until after my first year I realized just how much I was interested in working with larger companies. I stuck around for 5 years for a couple of different reason:

1. Paid a lot of money.
2. I got to travel all around the world working on deals.
3. I was surrounded by incredibly bright and highly motivated people.
4. Helped me develop thick skin and get a better understanding of myself.
5. Forced me to stop acting like a kid and grow into a man with responsibilities and priorities.

Those are just a few reason why I stayed as long as I did, but during the last 2 years I wanted more. I wanted to be on the buy-side, but also get an education to broaden my scope and perspective. I wanted to also network with some of the brightest students the world had to offer, but I told myself I wouldn't go to business school unless I was going to a top 3 program. I applied, and went through the process of submitting my application and got lucky enough to get into one Hell of a program.

For some people business school is a way to change a career path, meet different people, or to start all over. For me, I just wanted to take a break and recharge my mind and see what else is out there. I wouldn't have learned any of this if it wasn't for my time in IB.

Last edited:
Seems similar to longshoreman's and truckers with the earning potential 6 figures without college degree.  Anything else appealing about it besides the money though?

It's like a fraternity down here in Texas so if you worked at one oil company you've worked at them all pretty much . Don't believe the hype on truck driving either had my cdl since I was 22 and the most your gonna bring home is like 70 when its all said and done. Between the fuel, maintence , truck note , layover, insurance and paying your own taxes , that eats a lot of your profit .

Back
Top Bottom