Anyone live in Portland? Is it a good city? VOL: Any jobs?

I live in Tacoma but have family in Portland. It's nice and safe but really unless you raising a family, or addicted to heroin not really popping. When I think of Portland I always think of hipsters. The burbs are ok but cost of living in the nicer spots is crazy high and if your black you already know. As far as jobs depends what your looking to do like anywhere.

I lived in Eugene for 7 years and would make fairly regular trips to Portland. To be honest, I didn't like it. Downtown is pretty lame and there isn't much to do. Like Bomb Squad said, its where alot of hipsters and hippies live. There are better places to live 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

I live in Tacoma but have family in Portland. It's nice and safe but really unless you raising a family, or addicted to heroin not really popping. When I think of Portland I always think of hipsters. The burbs are ok but cost of living in the nicer spots is crazy high and if your black you already know. As far as jobs depends what your looking to do like anywhere.

So it's too white dominated?  I heard the Pearl is nice, but expensive.  I have the yellow fever, and gosh damn, I'm not going to San Fran.

Check the wiki, its like 85-90-% white so ya. Your better off in Seattle, it's way more diverse or a step above. But if you don't care about that you can basically ski/snowboard
through the summer at Mt. Hood if your into outdoor sports.

Originally Posted by Osek206

Check the wiki, its like 85-90-% white so ya. Your better off in Seattle, it's way more diverse or a step above. But if you don't care about that you can basically ski/snowboard
Seattle is bleh to me, too much driving on the damn I5.

I need:

MINIMAL COMMUTE
TOKYO/NYC BUSTLING CITY FEEL
Plenty of Asians like the respective motherland.

I just thought Portland peeps were more well mannered, and less KU*))#( you NYC type.

Visited once. Seemed awesome. Good food. Chicks with tattoos. Good beer.
pimp.gif

I live here. Yes it's a good city, no there are no jobs. The population's been rising real fast. There are lots of hipsters, but they tend to stay in southeast and on college campuses. Nightlife is alright, I mean we aren't Seattle or San Francisco, but the bars here are good. Things are cheaper than any of the other major west coast cities, but its still expensive.
And yes, it's very white. We do have lots of Asians too.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

I need:

MINIMAL COMMUTE

I just thought Portland peeps were more well mannered, and less KU*))#( you NYC type.

1. Don't come to Seattle (it's getting to packed)
2. Portland is nothing like NYC or Tokyo

3. Portland is a minimal commute city

4. I never really saw any Asians in Portland (i lived in the Downtown area & i lived in North Portland) 

Originally Posted by Noskey

I live here. Yes it's a good city, no there are no jobs. The population's been rising real fast. There are lots of hipsters, but they tend to stay in southeast and on college campuses. Nightlife is alright, I mean we aren't Seattle or San Francisco, but the bars here are good. Things are cheaper than any of the other major west coast cities, but its still expensive.
And yes, it's very white. We do have lots of Asians too.

Were u born and raised? Would you say your residence there have allowed you to know the city inside and out? Should I PM you?

I knwo portland is kinda divided by quadrants along the river.  The closer to the river, the more espensive, like pearl and all.  I read about the job thing.

Seattle is a better town, but Portland is really nice. People are laid back, and it isn't to crazy with traffic or anything. It is pretty much the hipster capital and there is a heroin problem but every bigger city has similar issues. If you have the fever, there are plenty here to help cure your appetite. There are also a lot of good restaurants up here. As far as nightlife goes you will find something you like. And plus we have the highest number of strip clubs per capita in the US, and it is fully nude with alcohol, if that's your thing.

The best part about it though is the outdoors. You are about an hour from the mountains and a hour and a half to the coast. If you enjoy outdoor sports, hiking, or just enjoying some amazing sights Portland is a great place to live.

As for a job market, what are you looking for?

Originally Posted by dakid23

I need:

MINIMAL COMMUTE

4. I never really saw any Asians in Portland (i lived in the Downtown area & i lived in North Portland) 

The mass transit is legit in Portland I heard.  How about duration of commute? From a day to day, weekend/work day basis?

does greg oden still reside there or did he join some zoo?

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Seattle is a better town, but Portland is really nice. People are laid back, and it isn't to crazy with traffic or anything. It is pretty much the hipster capital and there is a heroin problem but every bigger city has similar issues. If you have the fever, there are plenty here to help cure your appetite. There are also a lot of good restaurants up here. As far as nightlife goes you will find something you like. And plus we have the highest number of strip clubs per capita in the US, and it is fully nude with alcohol, if that's your thing.

The best part about it though is the outdoors. You are about an hour from the mountains and a hour and a half to the coast. If you enjoy outdoor sports, hiking, or just enjoying some amazing sights Portland is a great place to live.

Are you in the working force? Would like to PM you if you are able to talk in depth? - Thanks.

I'm in the finance/banking/investment side. 

What do you mean by fever?  I'm mostly into asians, but I read that people in Portland are nice.  You make it sound like this place is pure drugs, sex, and booze. LOLZ  I'm not too much into the night life thing anymore, mostly into asian eats, lifestyle, and that type of thing.

( .) ( . )

- - - -

Seattle sucks, there's barely any asian eats there, and the weather just sucks big time.  I hate the commute, driving far to the outlets and back.  ONe time i went to this chiense restaurant, and we were like the only ones there.  That's creepy.

I need:

MINIMAL COMMUTE

The mass transit is legit in Portland I heard.  How about duration of commute? From a day to day, weekend/work day basis?

i doubt greg's still here. he used to take classes at my school too (i used to see him waiting on the sidewalk after class every day waiting for his ride). it was kind of awkward, but cool to see him i guess
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by phillip929

i doubt greg's still here. he used to take classes at my school too (i used to see him waiting on the sidewalk after class every day waiting for his ride). it was kind of awkward, but cool to see him i guess
laugh.gif
was that when he tweeted his thing? 

also, how come he didn't drive? oh yeah. he's like 80 year old w/ no knees. no wonder he couldn't drive. jk!

Are you in the working force? Would like to PM you if you are able to talk in depth? - Thanks.

What do you mean by fever?  I'm mostly into asians, but I read that people in Portland are nice.  You make it sound like this place is pure drugs, sex, and booze. LOLZ  I'm not too much into the night life thing anymore, mostly into asian eats, lifestyle, and that type of thing.

( .) ( . )

- - - -

Seattle sucks, there's barely any asian eats there, and the weather just sucks big time.  I hate the commute, driving far to the outlets and back.  ONe time i went to this chiense restaurant, and we were like the only ones there.  That's creepy.
I work but am still in school.  There aren't a lot of jobs I know right now in the medical field for new grads which is tough.  As far as banking and finance I have no clue.  By the "fever" I was referring to the fact that you said you had the yellow fever.  There is a fairly big Asian population here, though not as big as Seattle or SF.  Public transportation is excellent with the Max trains which the city seems hell bent on expanding more.  Avoid living out in Beaverton though on the west side of Portland, by far the worst traffic in the area.  As far as places to eat, there are great places here.  Pok Pok for example is one of the best Thai restaurants in the country. 

( .) ( . )

- - - -

I work but am still in school.  There aren't a lot of jobs I know right now in the medical field for new grads which is tough.  As far as banking and finance I have no clue.  By the "fever" I was referring to the fact that you said you had the yellow fever.  There is a fairly big Asian population here, though not as big as Seattle or SF.  Public transportation is excellent with the Max trains which the city seems hell bent on expanding more.  Avoid living out in Beaverton though on the west side of Portland, by far the worst traffic in the area.  As far as places to eat, there are great places here.  Pok Pok for example is one of the best Thai restaurants in the country. 

which area in portland/ the old chinatown? pearl? could u be more speicifc.

( .) ( . )

- - - -

You can not be serious
indifferent.gif

And plus we have the highest number of strip clubs per capita in the US, and it is fully nude with alcohol, if that's your thing.

Interesting.  I love fully nude stripclubs and hiking.  Didn't know Portland had so many stripclubs.

born and raised in the burbs of portland

Traveled to many other cities and states and still love Portland

Great/Easy going vibe. Yes hipsters are a problem lol but I'd rather have that than a city full of gang bangers

Very Underrated IIMO

Back
Top Bottom