Anyone Major In Sports Management? Or Have Job In The Field?

nerd.gif

Gotta few questions

Whats your weekly schedule like as far as your days you work?
How hard is it to come by on Jobs?
Would you suggest it to someone else?

Fresh works for the Falcons.

Expect to work sales for the first couple of years. Those who can sell are promoted because they are seen as more valuable. Fresh didn't start that way buthe was a special case.

EDIT: Another thing. It's all as it seems. You have to earn the glitz and glamour. A lot of people in my school's program think it is going to be acakewalk. They are in for a shock. Making connections is very important. I am friends with the Exec VP of Communication and PR for the AFL. We talk every nowand then. Having friends in the industry will definitely help you out if you are passionate about this.

I'm majoring in something like it at OSU (called Sport & Leisure Studies here)....I like it so far...its gonna be allabout making connections...I'm always talking to people to at least get my name out there.

I'm assuming Sports Marketing would be in the same range as Sports Management? I'm thinking of majoring in Sports marketing when I transfer, dependingon which school I go to. I have pretty much the same questions as the OP on this subject.

I graduated from UT-Austin with a degree and it is tough to find jobs. Expect to move a lot and travel a ton.

its my major and i have no idea what i am going to do with it when i graduate...

hopefully baseball works out for me haha

It's my minor... I graduate in December. NO CLUE what happens then... but im ready to make moves, and I understand the moving thing/shock of how hard it isto move up.

at my school they offer the sport administration, one of my friend is taking it he says the course itself is very dry material but theres a practical classwhere he works with our football team, selling tickets, promoting events etc.. The kind of job he wants is working with a big league team, managing,marketing.. you definitely got to make connects

You can break into the sports industry without a Sports Management degree. It's all about who you know. I suggest you start making some calls getting yourname out there, and sending emails. Anyway you can get your foot in the door do it. You just have to wait for your "break" if you don't have theinternship experience.

YO!
laugh.gif
I dont like the sound of the uncertainty once your done with the program
That's just what it is, homeboy.

You got like 3 things that can work in your favor: willing to do sales, willing to move, or know someone.

I had the pleasure/misfortunate of interning for the Bobcats. Poorly run franchise that isn't profitable = no jobs. To call the security of their salesposition shaky is a euphemism. Plus the salary is garbo and the incentives are difficult as hell to reach. I'm heading back to school to get that MBA.I'll own that damn franchise 'fore it's over, Lord willing.

DF!!!

I think one of my roommates is majoring in Sports Management. All I know is that his classes are an absolute joke right now (we're sophomores, so hehasn't really started all of the major-focused classes).

You stay near one of the Top Sport Management programs in the country...

The field is shaky...Most people I know who stuck with the program and stuck with the field after they graduated either went to grad school for their MBA, areworking in a dead end sales job, or they're working for a minor league Basketball or Baseball team. It takes alot to pay dues in that field. It was myminor but I ultimately dropped it because I didn't see it as being worth it until you have gone through grad school. plus you'll have to know someone90% of the time to get a decent gig.

thats def the kinda major where, its not what you know but you you know really matters imo.

PGH- I'm assuming Robert Morris?

I've heard there program is good but with the feedback ive heard from others that have done the program theres still a big uncertainty. (Havent actuallyspoken to anyone from RM though)

The other day I had a guest speaker at my school who does sports marketing and works for the Neilsen TV ratings company.He made it seem like a cool job to havefor someone who is interested in sports. He gave us students his business card if we were interested in doing internships during the summer..

I might be working w/ the NJ Nets organization in a few weeks.

I'm a sophomore btw.

At the end of the day its all about NETWORKING.

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

PGH- I'm assuming Robert Morris?

I've heard there program is good but with the feedback ive heard from others that have done the program theres still a big uncertainty. (Havent actually spoken to anyone from RM though)

Actually I was speaking about Slippery Rock.

I know a few people who've done that program undergrad and cruised through Graduate programs at much bigger institutions. The undergrad requirements aresome of the most intense I've seen for that type of program, especially with the Major being so young.

Some of them are still in that program and some others are doing graduate work, interning, ect...As a matter of fact, there are a few working with theSteelers, Pirates and the Washington Wild things. It's a very hard climb up to the more glorious sights tho, I know that for sure.

my father is the professor for sport and leisure studies at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, when I go in 2 years, I might major in Sports marketing,etcbut if there are no jobs after I get a degree, pops may retire and I can take his place teaching at Rocky Top

Its all about who you know. If i would have chose to go that route, i would have alot of connects. Like everyone said the downfall is travel having to movethis and that. To much of a hassle with me. I actually wanted to go to law school to get into the agent thing but I highly doubt i will.

i graduated from St. John's University this past May, and i can tell you thats jobs in the New York City area (over 10 pro sports teams including MLS andAFL, plus numerous smaller minor league teams) are very hard too come by. My job search has has been pretty miserable since graduation and i know lot offriends who i graduated with haven't had any luck either, some blame the SPM field, some blame the economy for the lack of jobs. i have one friend whocurrently shoots t shirts out of that bazooka gun for the NJ Nets during halftime, and one who essentially is a tele marketer for the Knicks, as he cold callspeople asking them to buy season ticket packages.

My brother graduated from SJU 4 years ago, he started off unemployed for a year, then worked in ticket sales for the knicks for a year and hated it, then spentanother year without a job and is currently working for AMC in advertising (which is apart of cablevision who owns MSG, eff James Dolan). He has no plans ofgetting back into Sports Management.

what it really comes down too is a lot of 17 or 18 year old kids who like sports and love ESPN and Nike get into the field thinking it going to be fun andglamorous, but its not at all. There's very little money in the field unless you hit the jackpot essentially. I realized around the end of my junior yearthat i was seriously screwed and had wished i hadn't chosen this major. Maybe NYC is too over loaded with young college grads that love sports, so youmight have some better luck then me....i hop you do

I don't recommend this major... i mean, you're basically getting a dumbed down business degree that won't be worth as much as a regular one -it's not like having a finance or marketing or economics degree is going to hurt you if you apply for the same types of jobs you would with a sportsmanagement one... but on the other end of that, your degree would hurt you if you tried to apply for any regular type of business jobs when they feel like youtook a lame duck major.

No offense to anyone that took it - it's just, if i'm hiring people to run my sports team (which is a business remember), i want real business savvypeople... not people who took a weaker version of essentially the same degree.

I only speak from the experience of knowing a few people who went this route and had a miserable time finding a job - and it sounds like the same thing for alot of people in this thread so far.

If you want to work in sports - get a business degree and work with your schools sports teams and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom