Anyone Major In Sports Management? Or Have Job In The Field?

And please, if your going into SPM, know SPECIFICALLY what area you want to get into....such as broadcasting, marketing, stats, administration ect. Don'tbe one of those kids who 18 years old and a soph. in college thinking you're going to be the GM of the Yankees. (yes some kids in my class REALLY thoughtthis would happen)

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

I don't recommend this major... i mean, you're basically getting a dumbed down business degree that won't be worth as much as a regular one - it's not like having a finance or marketing or economics degree is going to hurt you if you apply for the same types of jobs you would with a sports management one... but on the other end of that, your degree would hurt you if you tried to apply for any regular type of business jobs when they feel like you took a lame duck major.

No offense to anyone that took it - it's just, if i'm hiring people to run my sports team (which is a business remember), i want real business savvy people... not people who took a weaker version of essentially the same degree.

I only speak from the experience of knowing a few people who went this route and had a miserable time finding a job - and it sounds like the same thing for a lot of people in this thread so far.

If you want to work in sports - get a business degree and work with your schools sports teams and go from there.

I agree with this man. I finished my Sport Management degree 2-3 years ago. Classes were 90% stupid and useless. The actual BUSINESS classes I had to takewere the only classes I learned anything important ... I agree with Craftsy, I got a dumbed down business degree.

Anyway, since graduating I worked in the nba for a couple yrs (yeah - Sales). I was pretty good but i got bored and quit. Still got nba connections = free tix
pimp.gif

Now - don't know what the F I am doing with my life
indifferent.gif
. Ijust party a lot and mess with females which is all i really care to do i guess

Iron Man had some good points... part of the reason i got bored (burnt out) was b/c the hours are crazy and pay isn't good (u get perks - BUT THE DAMNGAMES - best part of the job - get old!! you are working at the games as much as you are enjoying them).

YO!
I don't recommend this major... i mean, you're basically getting a dumbed down business degree that won't be worth as much as a regular one
I didn't want to say that to begin with but that pretty much sums it up. I didn't want to discourage anyone who was currently majoring init and felt passionate about it. Honestly though, a Bus. Admin. degree opens the same doors plus some. Like I said, I'm going back to school to get my MBAcause after being out 3 years (nearly 4), entry level ain't poppin'.
I regret not going to school for something involving Computers
smh.gif
Who you telling. Little brother graduated in May... fresh out he making twice what I'm making.

DF!!!

I'm getting my Masters in Public Policy/Public Administration so in case this doesn't workout I can work for the city/county/state. Eventually, Iwould like to work in our Community Relations Department.

Sales is garbage, the pay is decent within our organization since we draw a lot of fans regardless, but there is a lot of turnover. Even if you meet yoursales goals. The office politics in sports are complex.

Most sales positions are cold calls and they get a base salary of $8 (Minimum wage in Ca) + commission. Groups Sales Account Executives are salary positions,with a low base + commission. Premium and Sponsorship sales are where the money is at, but you have to do some serious brown nosing, both to your boss andyour clients.

I got into the Operations side by accident and ended up loving it. You are always behind the scenes and really don't have to deal with the front officefolk, only if you want to. You are always out and about.

I'm now currently weighing my options that DON'T involve the SPM industry, I'm seriously considering going back to school to get my educationcredits and becoming a teacher for the NYC board of ed.

bad economy and not wanting to partake in politics = why I'm going for my doctorate. I love the material but feel that I can change the experience you guyswent through. The undergrad program I went through went through serious changes while I was there and they force you to get a full time internship to hopefullyroll you into a job right away. Remember that this is still a relatively new major that basically spawned out of physical education and still either residesalongside phys ed, kinesiology, toursim/rec, or event management. very few are attached to business colleges.

I'm very interested in what UNC Chapel Hill has done. They have made their program specifically geared towards college sports. If you want to be a prosports whatever or an agent move along. they are training athletic directors, compliance people etc. It kinda locks you into that career path whereas otherprograms let you shift into something else, but that's on you. I might look into the possibility of having a program with a few option tracks to bettertrain you into one path or another. also more practical work.

Back
Top Bottom