Anyone viewing the current bloodbath in the global markets?

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by cguy610

So, are they going to lower gasoline prices or do we have to wait until oil goes down to $30/barrel to get some relief?

Gas should be under $3 here in MA in a few weeks.    
Don't you just love how when the price of oil goes up; it's immediately reflected in the price of gas even though the oil used in the gas at the pump wasn't bought at that price, but when the price of oil drops they wait a little bit before they drop the price?
tired.gif

Yea, but this time is really blatant.  Oil has gone from $100- $80 a barrel and gas hasn't budged. 

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by cguy610

So, are they going to lower gasoline prices or do we have to wait until oil goes down to $30/barrel to get some relief?

Gas should be under $3 here in MA in a few weeks.    
Don't you just love how when the price of oil goes up; it's immediately reflected in the price of gas even though the oil used in the gas at the pump wasn't bought at that price, but when the price of oil drops they wait a little bit before they drop the price?
tired.gif

thisthisthis. Never fails.

Thank you for that link finnns2003, this stuff has always interested me but it's so hard to sit down and really get into. Will be Amazon-ing some reading material very soon.

Buffet is a big shareholder of Moody's and has been talking bad about S&P lately...so no surprise there.

I can't wait till Q3 numbers come out in the investment banks, if you do think theyre poised to make a killing on this then I don't know what to tell you.

Also, virtually none of you need to redeem your 401k for what, the next 30 years?? If investing worries you on the day to day, then don't check it and keep it in blue chips. Right now everything is effectively been sold so all companies are "guilty by association".

I'm in gold, tech and broad ETFs. I've seen my gains taken out, somewhat protected by gold, but would easily buy more if I had available cash. I'm still net positive on the year (8%).

Everyone who is looking into gold as a means of security, I would look into the Dodd-Frank Act.

Read, summarize, whatever you like..but please, look into that.

What about buying silver. Anyone with knowledge please chime in on that one. Thanks in advance.

LazyJ10- What about investing in the ETF Providers themselves? My dad keeps preaching WETF. I would've loved to have bought in at the $.03 tag it had in '04.
laugh.gif

If Bank of America loses all of these lawsuits and their market cap keeps shrinking, (Lost 60% so far since January), This isnt anything compared to what will happen then. It might be a repeat of 08. Dow will be back over 11k by friday.

Whoever said this is a flash crash please look of the definition of flash crash then edit your post. I went to a group meeting at work when I can back it was down 600 points.

I started a fund (2050 retirement track) on June 1 with a $2800 lot purchase. Ive contributed $120 a month since then. It's now worth $2500, I'm sitting on the sidelines until this shakes out or a "too good to pass up" buying opp comes along. Im only 24 so I know I can handle the volatility but it just sucks seeing the loss on my investment.

Originally Posted by RedMan

Whoever said this is a flash crash please look of the definition of flash crash then edit your post. I went to a group meeting at work when I can back it was down 600 points.

From ZH: 

Flash%20Crash.jpg

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Originally Posted by solesavage

What do guys recommend in terms of how to handle my 401k right now? As of now we have some ****** at Wells Fargo playing with our money. My company matches 50%.

401k = Retirement money so when are we all retiring? 30 years? 40 years? 50 years?  Imagine all the wars and financial meltdowns that will occur within that time frame?  Bottom line if you're not retiring anytime soon you shouldn't do much and just ride it out.  Personally during these times, I BUMP up my deferral percentage because now is the time to buy.

THIS

Destination Kicks: I rather track benchmarks and indices than individual companies (i.e service providers)

Sol: I know Dodd Frank pretty well...what part are you referring to with the comment of Gold?

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Destination Kicks: I rather track benchmarks and indices than individual companies (i.e service providers)

Sol: I know Dodd Frank pretty well...what part are you referring to with the comment of Gold?

They are going go to be able to track the purchasing of precious metals. Making sure they aren't "conflict free", whatever that means. Restricting over the counter sales.

TheGr8Blk,

Keep contributing to your retirement fund -2050.  I'm taking it that you started that fund as an "investment" and not a "speculative" fund.

Yikes, 600 point drop. People are going nuts right now, HUGE bloodshed on portfolios. So glad I emptied mine out

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

Thank you for that link finnns2003, this stuff has always interested me but it's so hard to sit down and really get into. Will be Amazon-ing some reading material very soon.

No problem. People should be focusing on this, it's going to affect employment and hiring big-time

Originally Posted by HankMoody

From ZH: 

Flash%20Crash.jpg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Flash_Crash

There was nothing flash about today's events. Everyone knew Friday today was going to be horrible.

Look at the surge in volume. HFT. That's a flash crash. Just because the market sustained that level doesn't negate the unusually rapid descent. 

Dodd Frank affects Futures mainly...Investors still have the ability to trade precious metals and commodities.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Yikes, 600 point drop. People are going nuts right now, HUGE bloodshed on portfolios. So glad I emptied mine out

630*

That's not a flash crash.

Show the volume for the entire day. Shortly after the open the volume was similarly high as well.

That's not a flash crash.

Show the volume for the entire day. Shortly after the open the volume was similarly high as well.

Why did it surge like that at that moment? I'm reading the chart wrong? My bad. 

I believe that Dodd Frank has the capability to greatly inhibit the trade of precious metals such as gold; and greatly punish those who don't abide by the rules set forth in it. Not to say that the government will make it impossible to trade gold, but it could change the way the American people will be able to rely on it as a means of a safety net. I.E. those who have large stockpiles may not be able to move it like they intend to.

Granted, I admit my ignorance when it comes to the finer details of the act. And if I'm incorrect I invite any and all corrections, as I don't want to steer the #NT brethren wrong.

Back
Top Bottom