Anyone watching First Take??? Rob Parker just said is "Is RG3 a brother or a cornball brother"

This whole "embrace Blackness" thing is killing me.  We complain when we're painted with stereotypes but then turn around, point our finger at one of our own and scream that he's an outcast because he doesn't meet enough of them?  What does embracing Blackness mean?  He has to be militant pro-Black?  Vaudevillian with his Blackness and the way he speaks?  Or just drop the white girl?  The Republican argument is stupid, because it'd shock you how many of your favorite Black entertainers and public figures vote Republican when it comes to their money.  If Obama wasn't president right now, it wouldn't even be a thing.  A lot of y'all had no problem when all your aunts and uncles were voting Republican against same sex marriage in all those states.

Look.

Take what Rob Parker said.  Now make it a white columnist saying it.  Ballerific, blake, Deuce, would you still feel as ok with the statement then?

Or is it somehow more legitimate (even though it comes from just as much speculation race baiting) because another Black man said it?

blake... Rob Parker isn't getting his opinion from anywhere.  He has a history of making up stories and "sources".  He's just trying to stir controversy for the sake of controversy and skirting responsibility for the comments by saying "that's what people are saying."  He wants to be the Black Skip Bayless.

as I said, it doesnt only apply to black people. Im saying embrace your culture. I have no idea if rg3 doesnt do this. Thats why I dont agree with calling him a sellout when he hasnt actually done anything to sell out, and that opinion is baseless and kind of stupid.
Now for the republican thing, it makes sense if your wealthy( which he is now.) But if you believe in their social policies and your an immigrant, gay, black, poor etc, it doesnt make sense to me.

edit: I should rather say, acknowledge your culture. I dont mean you have to like rap, baggy clothes etc.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say I hate Rob Parker now. :smh:

Being a young black male coming from a comfortable home, college educated, nice career, no record people try to say i'm not black enough. I have to be Chief Keef in order to be black nowadays. I could go into long rant but i'll stop here. I am glad though that SAS started off how he did though by saying he felt uncomfortable. Completely, uncalled for.
I don't care if you and every other person on here gets mad but maybe it is something yall doing that got yall so heated when stuff like this comes up. Maybe yall switching your voices up trying to sound "proper" or something IDK. There is a reason for it from people you know or if its people you don't they could just have that narrow minded view of what "black" is. I have the same background as you and never have had black people say I'm not black enough or anything like that and I'm into alot of "white" stuff as some of friends call it.

While being Black republican does say something about your awareness, your level of consciousness, it does not say anything about your blackness, and knowing the history, how you fit into that history in this country.
Just because his wife is white and hes a republican( questionable if its not fiscally based)
I agree on both points above.
A lot of y'all had no problem when all your aunts and uncles were voting Republican against same sex marriage in all those states.
That's a totally different topic champ, for various reasons and you should know it.
Take what Rob Parker said.  Now make it a white columnist saying it.  Ballerific, blake, Deuce, would you still feel as ok with the statement then?
Of course it matters who is asking the question but does the underlining point still matter or is there some truth to what is being asked by the white columnist in general.  In Rob Parkers case, if you listen to his entire statement and not just the 1 minute video that was posted you can see the angle that he was attempting to come from, particularly providing the example of Tiger Woods.  Granted Rob Parker could have and should have used better wording to address his point however.  

As far as Rob Parker being suspended goes, ESPN gave him the green light to speak on the matter yesterday but I'm guessing ESPN was bombarded by an influx of calls from area codes 202, 301, and 703 to their headquarters yesterday after the segment aired from angry and upset callers.

Right...because clearly people in the DMV were the only ones offended by what Parker said.

I dont have a problem with what Rob Parker said I have a problem with where he said it really served no purpose imo

agreed...because now you have a bunch of people chiming in on a topic they can't possible relate to

A lot of y'all had no problem when all your aunts and uncles were voting Republican against same sex marriage in all those states.
That's a totally different topic champ, for various reasons and you should know it.
No. It isn't.  Rob Parker said "he's a republican, or that's what I hear."

He didn't give reason or context for what RG3's views may have been.  He said he was Republican.  I'm just pointing out that one's political leanings say little if anything about how "Black" he may or may not be.  Some of the loudest anti-White, pro-Black people I know vote for Republican congressmen and presidential candidates because of social and religious reasons.  You see, my point is, you can't paint anything or anyone purely Black or White.
Of course it matters who is asking the question but does the underlining point still matter or is there some truth to what is being asked by the white columnist in general.  In Rob Parkers case, if you listen to his entire statement and not just the 1 minute video that was posted you can see the angle that he was attempting to come from, particularly providing the example of Tiger Woods.  Granted Rob Parker could have and should have used better wording to address his point however.  

As far as Rob Parker being suspended goes, ESPN gave him the green light to speak on the matter yesterday but I'm guessing ESPN was bombarded by an influx of calls from area codes 202, 301, and 703 to their headquarters yesterday after the segment aired from angry and upset callers.
Rob Parker, implied that RG3 avoids being associated with his Blackness and all things Black.  He stated that he has been told by people that he was a Republican and that because he has a White wife it's clear he's not "down" with being Black.

He was trying to imply that RG3 was white-washed and in some ways even self-hating.  He basically called him an Uncle Tom.  The more of his statement you listen to, the more apparent it is that that's what Parker was getting at.  He just didn't use any of those terms to describe it.  But we all know exactly what he was getting at.

In this very thread, people have posted quotes where RG3 said he embraces that he is a Black athlete and needs to succeed for his Black fans.  That he embraces it.

You might have missed the quotes so here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../12/03/rgiii-talks-about-being-a-man/?print=1

That's from almost two weeks ago now.  Before Parker said his bs.

So my point is, when Parker says what he says, and claims that RG3 is distancing himself from the African American community and downplaying his Blackness, it's entirely baseless.

My question then to you is, if a White journalist attacked a Black athlete for not being "down" enough or for wanting to be White, how would you feel about it?  Take Parker's baseless comments.  Make it any white columnist making them.  Would you still feel as good ok'ing them?

Being a young black male coming from a comfortable home, college educated, nice career, no record people try to say i'm not black enough. I have to be Chief Keef in order to be black nowadays. I could go into long rant but i'll stop here.

Being a young black male coming from a comfortable home, college educated, nice career, no record people try to say i'm not black enough. I have to be Chief Keef in order to be black nowadays. I could go into long rant but i'll stop here. I am glad though that SAS started off how he did though by saying he felt uncomfortable. Completely, uncalled for.
so where would 2pac be rated as he is educated but came from a poor household embrace his roots always supported the black panther movement, try to help the ghetto and fought for women rights?

yea, I dont think it has anything to do with intellignce or how 1 speaks. I think Parker meant is that, RG3 doesnt embrace his blackness. Now I dont know RG3 personally like all of us here, so for me to go off of the fact that hes a republican or he has a white wife is kind of misguided. Now if parker knows rg3 more than us, then maybe he was right to say what he said

What does "embrace" blackness mean though? This is where the gray area is. Who made Parker the mouthpiece for black America? Who is he to say who is "down for the cause," or whatever the hell that means? There are plenty of things wrong with what Parker said, and it starts with his misguided assumption of who he thinks Griffin is and what he represents.

yea..insecurity for sure...and a few more choice adjectives ill keep to myself..

it is what it is tho...

all my dudes who went to inner city or "urban" high schools can agree...dudes like that get clowned all 3 lunch periods....

right or wrong rob deserved that suspension... at the same time he is a scapegoat...ESPN knew what they were doing asking him that question..dude is VERY outspoken on racial topics every time they arise...espn knows what theyre going to get before these talking heads actually go before the camera...that same speech rob gave on first take was given the OK by a number of superiors im sure...

You're 100% right. ESPN knew what they were doing when they put Parker out there. As I was saying last night, if ESPN's goal was for people to be talking about first take, well they got it. Journalistic integrity be damned. To me, all it does is make First Take look more like a joke than it already is.

For what you were talking about earlier (inner-city schools), there is a BIG problem. I was watching a documentary a few years back about Douglass High School in B-More. It focused on a few teachers and students. One student was a bit of an outcast because he actually enjoyed learning. He was clowned for it (by a 17 year old freshman of all people) and ridiculed to no end. It's sad, but this is the harsh reality of our educational system and some of the kids who are apart of it. It's all about mindset and insecurities. I honestly don't know how to fix it. People more concerned with the next man rather than trying to do what they can to better themselves. It's a shame.
Semi related to what you said but the 17 year old freshman got killed this summer, the other student trying to learn is still around doing his thing...wish nobody would get picked on for not acting like a certain way or "embracing blackness", thats why i feel Parker's comments shouldnt have any place on the show and he deserves the suspension...as do the ppl that allowed that discussion

LMAO i don't know who's more dumb rob or you guys defending him on niketalk.

I don't care if you and every other person on here gets mad but maybe it is something yall doing that got yall so heated when stuff like this comes up. Maybe yall switching your voices up trying to sound "proper" or something IDK. There is a reason for it from people you know or if its people you don't they could just have that narrow minded view of what "black" is. I have the same background as you and never have had black people say I'm not black enough or anything like that and I'm into alot of "white" stuff as some of friends call it.
I don't switch anything i'm just not ignorant like the dudes on the block. Seems like you gotta be ignorant to be "black enough". I actually like the fact that RG3 can hold a post game press conference and not sound like Dez Bryant.

Same guys like this questioning his "blackness" would be condemning him if he chose to do stereotypical things like hanging out with rappers, partying in clubs wasting money, etc.

I don't switch anything i'm just not ignorant like the dudes on the block. Seems like you gotta be ignorant to be "black enough". I actually like the fact that RG3 can hold a post game press conference and not sound like Dez Bryant.
Like I said I don't know you but its alot of people (me being one of them) that aren't ignorant and don't have the same troubles you seem to have being considered not "black enough". Dez can't talk the clearest but you acting like dude speaking a different language or something. I know exactly what he is saying he just doesn't articulate himself well and tbh he doesn't need to if he gets/keeps good people in his circle. Thats for the 9 to 5 crew not multi millionaires lol.

can someone explain to me what a cornball brother is?
laugh.gif

Kinda reminds me of when Donovan McNabb used to be chastized on tv for not being "black enough". If anything RG3 should be applauded for his character on and off the field. If he's not a troublemaker and getting in legal trouble off the field, ala a Pacman Jones....then what's to complain about? He's the leader of the team...and just as McNabb used to shrug off the criticism towards his character, so can RG3......not every black man on the planet has to fit the stereotype of a thug. :smh:

Hell naw. I know that mans family.  His mother is White.  If you're mom looks like Kate off john and kate plus 8 then what do you expect.  He's a very diverse young man. I actually talked to him last night.  NOT A CORNBALL BROTHER BY ANY MEANS :lol:   Embraces both sides of his family. 

Rich white man laughter erupting from my inner regions. Uncontrollable. Ha.

Black dad. White mom. Silver spoon?

Hell naw. I know that mans family.  His mother is White.  If you're mom looks like Kate off john and kate plus 8 then what do you expect.  He's a very diverse young man. I actually talked to him last night.  NOT A CORNBALL BROTHER BY ANY MEANS
laugh.gif
  Embraces both sides of his family. 

Rich white man laughter erupting from my inner regions. Uncontrollable. Ha.

Black dad. White mom. Silver spoon?
I'm confused...you didn't know that about his parents?  And naw no silver spoon. Normal working class folks.The man just had that Seinfeld/Carlton Banks fashion sense from an early age
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom