Appeal of the iPhone dying?

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

I have an iPhone 1st gen. Back then when the thing was 500-600, then 400, the thing was a status symbol. It was like a MacBook of today. The thought process for the early iPhone and current Macs was something like "Yes, I can get similar specs for cheaper, but F it, this thing works well and people will know something about me when I show them this." Conspicuous consumption at its finest. I mean, its the same reason we all hype over limited sneakers. Take the original DMP, if the pack wasn't as limited as it was, you can bet the pack wouldn't have sold as well.

Now, with the iPhone at $99, and 3GS at $199, its saturated the market so much that its not even special anymore. The value prop for the phone is the UX and the apps. IMO this is dangerous because App makers will port their apps to other platforms and Apple's UX advantage is starting to dwindle.

These are all just my instincts and opinions, but does anyone feel the same way?

/thread. You didnt even take the free upgrade?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by abstractability

iphone is coming to t-mobile in 2010 from what i hear
excellent, that way blackberries and iphones can kill eachother in bloody combat and android can take over. (which da article above said in somuch

words)

i have the blackberry 8900 and am happy with it. i pay $40 a month after tax on it. unlimited messaging + data + 500 minutes. i will go without touchscreen foras long as possible

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

I think the challenge of the Iphone was the current version really had nowhere to go. I am surprised they didnt make an Iphone nano (flip) or something in that regard. I mean all they have really done in the last few years is make it faster and add on basic features (not hating, just saying). Meanwhile other companies, Nokia, RIM, etc have been producing new updates to their line-up.

It will be very interesting to see what Apple has up its sleeve to replace/update the Iphone 3GS. I think they will have to come up big (NH) in order to stay really relevant in the current phone market. Two years is a long time to keep the same form factor and function.
Apple adds one little change every phone and sell it at the same price. Ppl been wantin flash on the phone since the 1st gen and they stilldon't have it, that'll be on the next iPhone in 2yrs tops. That's just the way they do it.

Now as far as marketing go, Apple really doesn't have #*#* on Android, why, because Android is playin their game. The "subtle" bashing of othercompanies while portrayin their item extremely superior

I'm a WinMo fan but Android will def take over soon. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up workin w/ Microsoft in the future, only thing Android need isMS Office mobile

I'm not even gonna judge the OP because a lot of people think like this but they are too chicken to admit it. When everybody started jumping on the iPhoneway in the beginning for the status appeal I knew it wasn't for me and I still don't have one. I'm waiting it out. The competition is HEAVY rightnow for the iPhone with Droid and they only have one way to go and hopefully that is up BUT you know that Droid looks kind of nice right NOW.

I've been an apple customer since they made the change to the game(and even before if we want to go way back) and real talk because apple is alwaysimproving if you are a TRUE apple customer who follows there trends you know it isn't even worth buying that first batch, second batch, and *!!+ not eventhat third batch of the new stuff. You get that product from the fourth batch that has all the kinks worked out because you know you have a solid piece ofmerchandise that won't fail you or you buy once you feel the product has been stretched to your liking. That's when you buy. You don't even blinkwhen you shell over 300+(or more depending on how big the purchase) including that Apple care and extended warranty just in case.

I guess I'm one of those people that if I'm going to invest, and this goes under every piece of technology that I own today, and drop hundreds I needto know that I'm not one of the testers. Yeah somebody has to do it and thank god for them but it ain't me. I'm the customer they want to be rightfor because I will stay faithful.

See this is weird as hell for me that Apple has a product and I'm not on the wagon but I'm not yet convinced that I like the fact that myphone(contacts,memos,calendar=my sanity) and ipod(music, movies,pics, games) and then the internet could be lost, stolen, freeze up ALL in one go. I can'tbe down.

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

you're a hypebeast

this..

OP, how you buy a phone because of it's exclusivity?

lol so you getting a Macbook next since you feel its exclusive?(even though it really isn't)

how old are you?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

Originally Posted by psykhO

AT&T is about to sell their Iphone contract to Verizon
pimp.gif
I heard thats not happening anymore
nerd.gif
yeah, verizon burned its own hands taking shots at the iphone.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by abstractability

iphone is coming to t-mobile in 2010 from what i hear
excellent, that way blackberries and iphones can kill eachother in bloody combat and android can take over. (which da article above said in so much

words)

iphones and blackberries have been on the same carrier for the past 2 years now.

AT&T....

android isnt killing anything. if anything, the hype around the TWO android phones out right now has everyone looking like hypebeasts. two years ago, youwanted iphones, then when the bold dropped you all wanted that, now the androids are dropping and everyone wants that.

the iphone has the cell phone market in a choke hold, and whether people like it or not, it will probably stay that way for a while.
because all apple has to do is release another iphone and droid will be history.

honestly, the only competition the iphone really has in the smartphone market is blackberry. there are a ton of other smartphones out there that are selling,but they are still losing to apple.
its all about marketing and itunes/app store.

the iphone is killing the market because of the ipods success and itunes success. HTC and droid dont have that strong history and background to back them up.

so with all that said, buy a damn phone that YOU like, and something YOU feel comfortable with. stop buying into hype and getting something just becauseeveryone else is. hell, i got my iphone as a gift back when it dropped summer of 07 and i fell in love with the phone, and now that i have the newer model i amstill happy. if YOU arent happy with the phone, then dont buy it, but dont think that just because something is successful, its all hype. you're just beinga follower and buying something that you dont necessarily even want really. you just want it because theres an apple on the back. so you're really justhyping yourself up.

and the appeal of the iphone isnt dying, its appeal to YOU may be dying, but the iphone is still champ.

/rant

i have the 1st gen iPhone and i absolutely LOVE IT!!! i suffered with crap service for the first 6 months or so of having it but with all the upgrades I reallycan't complain other than 1 major issue I had but...I ended up getting a month of FREE service soooo.....I'm waiting to see whats NEXT after the 3GS toupgrade!!!! DROID might be the next big thing tho...we'll see!!!

Originally Posted by NationalTruckerDave

you're a hypebeast

this..

lol so you getting a Macbook next since you feel its exclusive?(even though it really isn't)

how old are you?
smh.gif
kinda like that dude that dropped 1300 on a 13 inch mac book
laugh.gif

I went from a sidekick to the iPhone and I have no complaints other than the texting on the sidekick was way easier.

I might cop a iphone this june if apple gets a new design for it. Im so sick of that iphone/itouch design I see that ++$* everywhere.

if apple doesnt make some changes to the iphones os or at least some small physical changes i will not be buyin a new one

im talkin like at the very least make it as thin as the ipod touch, make the screen bigger an add a steel back (like the 1st gen one)

its been the same everything for 3 years (small changes like color and adding features that should have been there from the beginning dont count)

u cant possibly tell me virtually the same thing u have used everyday for 3 years isnt starting to get old?

I don't care how the iPhone sells or what other people's opinions on it are. All I know is I love mine and I don't miss my BlackBerry (which I usedto swear by) one bit. Even after 8 months of owning this thing I'm still finding new cool things to do with it, it'll take a long time for the appealto die down for me personally.

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

android takes over next year, I want to switch over, im tired of Iphone OS

benny7.jpg

So you cut out my post to twist what i was saying?

I hope android takes over next year, I want to switch over, im tired of Iphone OS
My bad. I only quoted what matters. Android taking over is funny enough in itself.

android takes over next year, I want to switch over, im tired of Iphone OS

benny7.jpg

So you cut out my post to twist what i was saying?

I hope android takes over next year, I want to switch over, im tired of Iphone OS
My bad. I only quoted what matters. Android taking over is funny enough in itself.

this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 1C3M4M

/thread. You didnt even take the free upgrade?
smh.gif
The iPhone 3G (and an upgrade option) didn't exist in December 2007.

you're a hypebeast

this..

how old are you?
It was a gift. I wanted it because of multitouch, the web surfing experience, and because I was already on AT&T and needed a smartphone foremails. I don't have a Macbook. I have an iMac from December 2008 because at the time it was a fairly priced all-in-one desktop computer (studentdiscount + free iPod and printer) that was capable of running both OS X and Windows.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

They're still 500 plus. They're still head turners. They're the best phone ever made.
That's the word I was looking for, "head turners." I'd like torephrase my question as, "Are iPhones still headturners?" Yes or no. If someone's opinion is "No" does that matter to the longevity,brand image, and profit of the iPhone?

Android OS=Iphone OS

I've owned both and they are really close, people will never admit this though because people fanboy phones the same way they used to fanboy video gamesystems.

Every since the Droid has come out with 2.0 on it no one has been able to give a straight answer about how or why the IPhone is better than it.

No nobody can give me a straight answer other than "itZ a IPHONE, itz tha beST!"

Originally Posted by ninjahood

you're a hypebeast

this..

how old are you?
smh.gif
kinda like that dude that dropped 1300 on a 13 inch mac book
laugh.gif

hahahaha

I'm pretty sure the next iPhone that gets released will kill everything else considered to be an "iPhone Killer"

Back
Top Bottom