Apple TV or Roku ?

I'm really slow when it comes to these things.

I have a Note 2 and a Mac. Would it make more sense to get a jailbroken ATV 2 or a Roku?

Also, how can I watch all the shows I regularly watch? I'm horrible at this. Please help me out

Depends.. do you value the powersavings? Do you use your mac for work/social, or can afford to leave it hooked to an external monitor or tv? Get a jailbroken Apple TV2, or a nettop like a Acer Revo, Lenovo q190/q180, or older mac mini

I scooped up an AppleTV, basically got it for free, don't really have any use for it. I have a PS3 that does all the Netflix, Hulu, etc streaming.

I thought I was going to be able to Airplay apps such as HBOGo, Sho Anytime and Amazon Prime, but nope. Doesn't have that capability which was really disappointing. Was in the middle of a Dexter marathon, have Directv, so just got the "On Demand" box and boom all premium channel content at my fingertips.

AppleTv is just collecting dust at this point.

roku + hulu plus.

and hbo go, if you already have hbo.
I watch a bunch of sports, Breaking Bad, Shark Tank, Mob Wives (my girlfriend put me on, I actually happen to like it) , TRU TV, and other corny shows. Would the jailbroken ATV2 or Roku still be good for me? Cause quite frankly, I wouldn't know how to set up my laptop to my tv or none of that.

For ya'll with the roku (dunno if it works with apple tv), playon premium has the annual package for 25 bucks.

I scooped up an AppleTV, basically got it for free, don't really have any use for it. I have a PS3 that does all the Netflix, Hulu, etc streaming.

I thought I was going to be able to Airplay apps such as HBOGo, Sho Anytime and Amazon Prime, but nope. Doesn't have that capability which was really disappointing. Was in the middle of a Dexter marathon, have Directv, so just got the "On Demand" box and boom all premium channel content at my fingertips.

AppleTv is just collecting dust at this point.

I'll take it. srs.

the only things I watch on TV are sports, is there anything for use in such scenarios

For me, Apple TV by FAR. But I guess if one isn't involved in Apple's ecosystem at all and is really only interested in streaming basic content like Netflix then Roku would be fine. For a fair price, the ATV is well worth it IMO. 

Western Digital TV Live>
http://www.amazon.com/Streaming-Media-Player-Wi-Fi-1080p/dp/B005KOZNBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361858905&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+tv+live
ir

TRUTH :pimp:

apple tv doesn't even fully support hbo go.. 

for that reason apple can kiss my ***.. if you wanna be handcuffed to apple's restrictions, go ahead.

team roku.

more info please ...this very interesting ...

This is the best media player out there in my opinion. Plays basically every movie file off an attached hard drive, wifi, lots of apps. No HBO Go but I use my 360 for that anyways.

apple tv doesn't even fully support hbo go.. 

for that reason apple can kiss my ***.. if you wanna be handcuffed to apple's restrictions, go ahead.

team roku.
Ehh... it's not a restriction. It was because of contractual agreements (or lack there of). Fast forward to last week and you can officially AirPlay to AppleTV and they have announced that an ATV app is in the works.

"HBO's streaming service, HBO  GO, will be available on Apple  TVs starting today using the AirPlay  feature on iPhones and iPads.  HBO's Eric Kessler made the announcement today at AllThingsD's media conference. "[color= rgb(169, 169, 169)]To be clear, HBO GO won't be available as a separate app on your [/color]Apple TV[color= rgb(169, 169, 169)]. You'll need to beam HBO GO shows to your Apple TV from your [/color]iPhone[color= rgb(169, 169, 169)]  or [/color]iPad[color= rgb(169, 169, 169)]  using AirPlay ...Kessler did say a native HBO GO app is in the works for Apple TV, meaning you eventually won't need to use AirPlay."[/color]

Last edited:
more info please ...this very interesting ...

WDTV Live plays any file format and in 1080p. I have an Apple TV that is JB and it has XBMC and it's doesn't even compare. My Apple TV plays only in 720p too. You could plug in your hard drive with all of your media and watch it easily.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom