Are Air Force 1's still poppin???

^but you can't ignore the decline in popularity over the last couple years though. And unless the cws really come back, more and more people will stop buying. The reason Nike keeps making em is because stores keep ordering them. Sure pairs sit, but if a shop doesn't order that next uptown that Nike offers, then it may be the hit and the shop will lose that profit. BUT the thing is, there are very very very few "big" (hyped about/ buzzed about/ and sought after) uptowns anymore, even on NT. And the numbers Nike is making uptowns in is too large for the number of people who actually want them. In other words, Nike makes too many of each cw and thus the number of pairs exceeds the number of people who want them, instead of being limited or the number of pairs is lower than the people who want them. If the shoe is limited then the shoes will sell out. ***

***Read my definition of "limited" so you dont come back with "just because a shoe is limited doesn't mean it'll sell"

However its more than overproduction and cws being whack, I think its about the shoe just becoming played out among the general (NON-NT) population. As I've said many times in this thread, kids at my HS don't wear them anymore. I assume it's just my area as well. Even in the collectors world, the demand on the 2005-now GRs has gone down significantly, but the early 90s to 03ish demand will be there and is still there.

The shoe has definitely lost its appeal, the cws are whack, and as long as Nike keeps overproducing, they won't sell. Even on denims, they aren't sought after like they would have, had that cw dropped in 05 or 06. This can't be denied.

Uptowns are a fad for the general population and that population has moved on, but for us collectors, they will never go out of style.

^but you can't ignore the decline in popularity over the last couple years though. And unless the cws really come back, more and more people will stop buying. The reason Nike keeps making em is because stores keep ordering them. Sure pairs sit, but if a shop doesn't order that next uptown that Nike offers, then it may be the hit and the shop will lose that profit. BUT the thing is, there are very very very few "big" (hyped about/ buzzed about/ and sought after) uptowns anymore, even on NT. And the numbers Nike is making uptowns in is too large for the number of people who actually want them. In other words, Nike makes too many of each cw and thus the number of pairs exceeds the number of people who want them, instead of being limited or the number of pairs is lower than the people who want them. If the shoe is limited then the shoes will sell out. ***

***Read my definition of "limited" so you dont come back with "just because a shoe is limited doesn't mean it'll sell"

However its more than overproduction and cws being whack, I think its about the shoe just becoming played out among the general (NON-NT) population. As I've said many times in this thread, kids at my HS don't wear them anymore. I assume it's just my area as well. Even in the collectors world, the demand on the 2005-now GRs has gone down significantly, but the early 90s to 03ish demand will be there and is still there.

The shoe has definitely lost its appeal, the cws are whack, and as long as Nike keeps overproducing, they won't sell. Even on denims, they aren't sought after like they would have, had that cw dropped in 05 or 06. This can't be denied.

Uptowns are a fad for the general population and that population has moved on, but for us collectors, they will never go out of style.

I was never a fan of the all whites for some reason. But every once in a while there is a CW that will come out that I want

I was never a fan of the all whites for some reason. But every once in a while there is a CW that will come out that I want

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
 and this is why i say this thread is pointless...

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

what do you mean though? We all pretty much knew that, so I guess thats why you're saying that, right?

what do you mean though? We all pretty much knew that, so I guess thats why you're saying that, right?

Originally Posted by Sloane Kettering

elcerrito91 wrote:

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
Uptown's have been around longer than a lot of dudes have been alive, releasing consistently and not once every five years, but dudes are calling them a fad
laugh.gif

I also love how dudes travel the entire 50 states, conduct polls and know Nike's sales numbers to see what's popular and not.

Like I said before, topics like these really expose the hypebeast. Some of you can't think beyond your little box.

Maybe Nike should have released 2,000 "south beach" Uptown's
eyes.gif

elcerrito91 wrote:

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
Uptown's have been around longer than a lot of dudes have been alive, releasing consistently and not once every five years, but dudes are calling them a fad
laugh.gif

I also love how dudes travel the entire 50 states, conduct polls and know Nike's sales numbers to see what's popular and not.

Like I said before, topics like these really expose the hypebeast. Some of you can't think beyond your little box.

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Magic1978

elcerrito91 wrote:

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

It was a fact that they were Nike's number one seller back in 06. Nobody on here even suggested that they took polls. Watch JFK, then you'll see just what I'm talking about. And just because they have south beach colors DOES NOT mean they will be scooped up, the shoes still have to look good to sell, even for HBs. Like I said, uptowns have dwindled out of the spotlight for mainstream consumers (HS kids not on the forums, blogs, and who trash every pair without concern and who dont know the history of the shoe etc), but not for collectors (people who check the forums, blogs, and who collect shoes)

AND if you really want to analyze data, a lot of the true uptown collectors dont buy the new stuff because the quality isnt up to par.

Originally Posted by Magic1978

elcerrito91 wrote:

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

It was a fact that they were Nike's number one seller back in 06. Nobody on here even suggested that they took polls. Watch JFK, then you'll see just what I'm talking about. And just because they have south beach colors DOES NOT mean they will be scooped up, the shoes still have to look good to sell, even for HBs. Like I said, uptowns have dwindled out of the spotlight for mainstream consumers (HS kids not on the forums, blogs, and who trash every pair without concern and who dont know the history of the shoe etc), but not for collectors (people who check the forums, blogs, and who collect shoes)

AND if you really want to analyze data, a lot of the true uptown collectors dont buy the new stuff because the quality isnt up to par.

the reason why i'm saying its pointless is because those who are saying they aren't popping say the same thing "oh in my area no one wears them" well how does that small specific detail speak to the shoe in general? are we all now goin to act as if we have greater business acumen than that of Nike? If the shoe was so unpopular, then why continue producing them? From a storeowner's standpoint, if i see AF1's just collecting dust, not moving, and amounting to a waste, then why would i keep ordering them? I think you have it backwards, the general public give AF1's more love than NT...I see plenty of AF1 cw's moving at retail on ndc, cw's that aren't even mentioned on NT...you say as long as Nike keeps overproducing them, they won't sell?
laugh.gif
Nike has been doin this for a very long time and if it was that bad of an investment, i'm pretty sure they'd cutback...honestly i've purchased more AF1's from '07-'10 than i did from '03-'06...just because you, your boys and the majority of NT don't seek out af1's like that, it doesn't speak to the general public...like i said before, it def isnt the "it" but AF1's will always be around

the reason why i'm saying its pointless is because those who are saying they aren't popping say the same thing "oh in my area no one wears them" well how does that small specific detail speak to the shoe in general? are we all now goin to act as if we have greater business acumen than that of Nike? If the shoe was so unpopular, then why continue producing them? From a storeowner's standpoint, if i see AF1's just collecting dust, not moving, and amounting to a waste, then why would i keep ordering them? I think you have it backwards, the general public give AF1's more love than NT...I see plenty of AF1 cw's moving at retail on ndc, cw's that aren't even mentioned on NT...you say as long as Nike keeps overproducing them, they won't sell?
laugh.gif
Nike has been doin this for a very long time and if it was that bad of an investment, i'm pretty sure they'd cutback...honestly i've purchased more AF1's from '07-'10 than i did from '03-'06...just because you, your boys and the majority of NT don't seek out af1's like that, it doesn't speak to the general public...like i said before, it def isnt the "it" but AF1's will always be around

laugh.gif

Okay you do have a point, BUT, if many people from many different areas say people aren't wearing them, then they have gone out of style in those areas. I don't know if they are Nike's number one seller ANYMORE. All I know is that people on NT aren't buzzing about them, people in the Bay Area aren't buzzing about them, and from the few people who actually answered the question that 430AM posed, they aren't being buzzed about. 
And thats the general pubic, not NT. We both know that on NT, they aren't what they used to be, as for the majority of the country, I am unsure. How are they in NY? Do people still wear them? I know that as far as collectors go, they aren't sought after at all really (the new ones, even denims aren't that sought after).

If the shoe was so unpopular, then why continue producing them? From a storeowner's standpoint, if i see AF1's just collecting dust, not moving, and amounting to a waste, then why would i keep ordering them?

The reason Nike keeps making em is because stores keep ordering them. Sure pairs sit on shelves, but if a shop doesn't order that next uptown that Nike offers, then it may be the hit and the shop will lose that profit. BUT the thing is, there are very very very few "big" (hyped about/ buzzed about/ and sought after) uptowns anymore, even on NT, thus pairs just continue to sit at stores.

laugh.gif

Okay you do have a point, BUT, if many people from many different areas say people aren't wearing them, then they have gone out of style in those areas. I don't know if they are Nike's number one seller ANYMORE. All I know is that people on NT aren't buzzing about them, people in the Bay Area aren't buzzing about them, and from the few people who actually answered the question that 430AM posed, they aren't being buzzed about. 
And thats the general pubic, not NT. We both know that on NT, they aren't what they used to be, as for the majority of the country, I am unsure. How are they in NY? Do people still wear them? I know that as far as collectors go, they aren't sought after at all really (the new ones, even denims aren't that sought after).

If the shoe was so unpopular, then why continue producing them? From a storeowner's standpoint, if i see AF1's just collecting dust, not moving, and amounting to a waste, then why would i keep ordering them?

The reason Nike keeps making em is because stores keep ordering them. Sure pairs sit on shelves, but if a shop doesn't order that next uptown that Nike offers, then it may be the hit and the shop will lose that profit. BUT the thing is, there are very very very few "big" (hyped about/ buzzed about/ and sought after) uptowns anymore, even on NT, thus pairs just continue to sit at stores.

what alot of you dont understand

if your sell nike sneakers and have a account

your stuck with getting air force 1's and since they dont sell out like they used to you have to take them

the same with jordans to get the retros you have to take the crappy jordan brand sneakers and clothing

white on white af1's though will always move

the other colorways now thats another story

your stuck with getting air force 1's and since they dont sell out like they used to you have to take them

the same with jordans to get the retros you have to take the crappy jordan brand sneakers and clothing

Originally Posted by 160jordansdeep

exactly. The same is true with SBs.

exactly. The same is true with SBs.

this is not the case with all stores.. some yes, but definitely not all...

as far as hype i think the hype left after all those patent leather af1's dropped.. then a little rise in interest after they had the af1 ID's but its pretty much dead outside of enthusiasts now.. i only see fake's around now

as far as hype i think the hype left after all those patent leather af1's dropped.. then a little rise in interest after they had the af1 ID's but its pretty much dead outside of enthusiasts now.. i only see fake's around now

this is not the case with all stores.. some yes, but definitely not all...

The "favored" stores, right? Like they can get the limited pairs without having to order all of the other cws....are uptowns still worn in NY, or have they fallen off there too? Not just white on white but all the other cws?

Back
Top Bottom