Are foamposite "played out" ?

Allow me to share my Foamposite testimonial. I may be from what you call the "old school" I guess. When they were released in '97 I was 14. No way was my mom buying em at $180. That was a huge deal back then. The think that made me want the shoe was of course the design. I used to call the original phone number from the ad all the time, just to hear about how they'd been developing the technology for 15 years! At that time Mike Bibby and Zona were making an incredible run to Final Four, and I just remember seeing those bright blue sneakers contrast with that Navy jersey and wonder what the hell they were. Penny was injured for most of that season, so did not get to wear them until the playoffs that year where he dropped the back-to-back 40 pt games against the Heat in them. Thus adding to the Foamposite mystique.

Even when the Pro B dropped...we were all disappointed because it wasn't like the OG Foam One. People of course rocked them, mismatched with the new Tracy McGrady Magic jersey, but stores couldn't sell them. And let's not forget the other dud "posite" lines spawned from it like the Fantaposites, and Clogposites. I bought my Pro B's for $130 back then. And the Foamposites of the early 2000s were nothing special, just sat around, especially those hideous red ones. Fast forward to Feb 4. 2007, finally the Foamposite One is retroed...dudes from my era who couldn't cop and finally were adults rushed to them, but still they were fairly easy to cop. Summer of 2007, I bought the black Foamposite One, just because I had never bought the black Pros years back. And then...something happened...don't know if it was Wale's LRG ad, or what. But something put the Foamposite world into a frenzy! Eggplants, and Coppers, a nice salute to OG Flightposite colors, but then...these candy painted Pros and Ones. Horrible re-release of the Pearls which was more like Champagne than anything! Even the blue foams from 2011 are much darker and a muted blue than the ones from 07. Just five years to the day from the first Foamposite One retro, Feb 4. 2012, Electric Red foampsites have lines down blocks! Galaxy Foamposites, a shoe with no real story behind it, just a shoe with what appears to look like a wrapped van has "sneakerheads" in a frenzy, but let's be honest it is far overrated. 

Now I love the Foamposite, it's a great design that stood the test of time. Technologically, 15 years to develop, and now 15 years later, 30 years... the shoe is way outdated in that aspect. They are not comfortable shoes at all. Stylish yes, comfortable, no way! The Foamposite holds no meaning anymore, it's sad to see it as just another shoe, which I guess does make it played out in a sense. And for the dude who said Penny's line wasn't a strong one is bugging. Outside of Michael Jordan, Penny may have had the most solid sneaker line, with Charles Barkley coming in 3rd in my opinion. All of the Air Pennys did fairly well in most colorways.

Allow me to share my Foamposite testimonial. I may be from what you call the "old school" I guess. When they were released in '97 I was 14. No way was my mom buying em at $180. That was a huge deal back then. The think that made me want the shoe was of course the design. I used to call the original phone number from the ad all the time, just to hear about how they'd been developing the technology for 15 years! At that time Mike Bibby and Zona were making an incredible run to Final Four, and I just remember seeing those bright blue sneakers contrast with that Navy jersey and wonder what the hell they were. Penny was injured for most of that season, so did not get to wear them until the playoffs that year where he dropped the back-to-back 40 pt games against the Heat in them. Thus adding to the Foamposite mystique.

Even when the Pro B dropped...we were all disappointed because it wasn't like the OG Foam One. People of course rocked them, mismatched with the new Tracy McGrady Magic jersey, but stores couldn't sell them. And let's not forget the other dud "posite" lines spawned from it like the Fantaposites, and Clogposites. I bought my Pro B's for $130 back then. And the Foamposites of the early 2000s were nothing special, just sat around, especially those hideous red ones. Fast forward to Feb 4. 2007, finally the Foamposite One is retroed...dudes from my era who couldn't cop and finally were adults rushed to them, but still they were fairly easy to cop. Summer of 2007, I bought the black Foamposite One, just because I had never bought the black Pros years back. And then...something happened...don't know if it was Wale's LRG ad, or what. But something put the Foamposite world into a frenzy! Eggplants, and Coppers, a nice salute to OG Flightposite colors, but then...these candy painted Pros and Ones. Horrible re-release of the Pearls which was more like Champagne than anything! Even the blue foams from 2011 are much darker and a muted blue than the ones from 07. Just five years to the day from the first Foamposite One retro, Feb 4. 2012, Electric Red foampsites have lines down blocks! Galaxy Foamposites, a shoe with no real story behind it, just a shoe with what appears to look like a wrapped van has "sneakerheads" in a frenzy, but let's be honest it is far overrated. 

Now I love the Foamposite, it's a great design that stood the test of time. Technologically, 15 years to develop, and now 15 years later, 30 years... the shoe is way outdated in that aspect. They are not comfortable shoes at all. Stylish yes, comfortable, no way! The Foamposite holds no meaning anymore, it's sad to see it as just another shoe, which I guess does make it played out in a sense. And for the dude who said Penny's line wasn't a strong one is bugging. Outside of Michael Jordan, Penny may have had the most solid sneaker line, with Charles Barkley coming in 3rd in my opinion. All of the Air Pennys did fairly well in most colorways.

Sounds just like mine and a lot of other peoples story. I was in 8th grade when the foams came out in 1997 and def couldn't afford them. I was actually at the 42pt game Penny had in Orlando game 3. Best game I have ever been to and I've been to just about every Magic playoff game. 42pts remains Penny's career high which is a huge surprise taking into account his skill set.

Once those Crimsons come out a new trend will begin with crazy bottom soles and diff colors for the upper watch...

I just have all blacks, royals, and eggplants. Everything else I'm good.
Nike has jumped the shark.

I hope so. That way it will be easier for me to still cop. Maybe even on sale like back in the day :\

Foamposite is the AF1 of this decade. Expect the colourways to get worse and some sort of 'tiering' to follow in the next few years. As long as kids keep dropping $180-$200 on 'em - expect Nike to keep making them.

everyone should just not buy foams anymore so they drop prices again.. the royals and eggplants will always be on point to me but some of these new colorways (gemgreen) look horrible and young kids still cop

Played out...no

Over saturated? Yes

Agreed. I only have 2 pairs - the 09 eggplants and the 11 royals. I would like a pair of the recent pearls though, and maybe the gym greens, but that's it. otherwise, i'm fine with just my current 2.

Seeing the Foamposite on Mike Bibby in the NCAA Championship game back in the day and in the movie He Got Game stand out to me and I only hold the original colors in high regard.

These new "foamposites" cost more, have cheaper materials that rip, and a crap load of stupid colors just aimed at mass production.

sounds like you around my age i was 13 when the foams first came out and they sat on shelves and went on sale no one had 180 for shoes bammas was barely trynna drop 140 on shoes back then. now people are lined up for foams and before in dc only hustlers and people with mommy and daddy bread copped em. foams will never get played out neither will flights i just wish they would do more colors for the flights like they do the foams like retro all the og colors even the carbon flights and the white ones. penny line did really well IMO they are more rare than a lot of J's not a lot of retro;s and re-retros and no butchering of shoes and wild colors they kept the penny lie strong and popular if someone said the penny line wasnt solid he is smoking crack or just a kid that really doesnt know better. foams were always an easy cop until 2007 thats when people hopped on the bandwagon before that flights and foams would sit in stores because no one could afford or wasnt trynna drop the bread.

Played out?  I don't understand that concept, if you like them buy them, rock them, and appreciate them.  I'm not a fan of every colorway.... But I do own Eggplants and Coppers.  

One of the biggest problems with this "community" is everyone is worried about what everyone else is doing. Even I was guilty of this when I was younger, but as I got older I learned to stop worrying about everyone else. If you like them, get them and love them as someone else stated..

I wouldn't say they are played out, at least not yet. I'm glad that Nike has finally gotten smart and produced the Foams in different colorways. Hypebeasts will be hypebeasts, who knows, two years from now no one may want them. I hope so, easier purchases for me...

I'll never think foams are played out. As others have said, the market is saturated.

If you think they're truly played out, you may have never been a true fan. AF1s are considered "played out" by my generation however true fans of the shoe itself still cop new/old colorways...

sounds like you around my age i was 13 when the foams first came out and they sat on shelves and went on sale no one had 180 for shoes bammas was barely trynna drop 140 on shoes back then. now people are lined up for foams and before in dc only hustlers and people with mommy and daddy bread copped em. foams will never get played out neither will flights i just wish they would do more colors for the flights like they do the foams like retro all the og colors even the carbon flights and the white ones. penny line did really well IMO they are more rare than a lot of J's not a lot of retro;s and re-retros and no butchering of shoes and wild colors they kept the penny lie strong and popular if someone said the penny line wasnt solid he is smoking crack or just a kid that really doesnt know better. foams were always an easy cop until 2007 thats when people hopped on the bandwagon before that flights and foams would sit in stores because no one could afford or wasnt trynna drop the bread.

Took the words outta my mouth. Foams were over $250 in Canada when they dropped in the late 90s. If at all anyone was wearing them, they had to have got them with some sort of massive discount. People would wait for a sale and then buy shoes. Now you have cats dropping $500 on kicks that dropped last week - what happened to waiting for a good deal?

patience is a virtue that many no longer purse. Everyones about immediate gratification. I want food, money, clothes, a good paying job, lose weight, NOW ! This is the mentality shared by many today.
I love waiting it out and finding a deal.

By the way, foams are played out everyone so please pm me whatever foams you have and give them to me. :smile:

I wouldn't say that they are played out. Yes, like all other kicks Nike is releasing too many colorways but overall with the comfort and quality of them I don't see them ever being played out

i hope hypebeast think they are played out so they can stop buyin them. i love foams always have

Back
Top Bottom