Are you an Atheist? What Promted Your Choice?

I'm curious, why do we label people who are "schizophrenic" or "savant/idiot savant", crazy/mental/******ed because their reality is different or because they seem so knowledgeful? Why are our brains so advanced to the point that we can dictate mood and all of the goings on created by this reality we call life? I think ultimately that, understanding the many abilities of your brain surpass anything and is above all, the true foundation of life. Why is it such a bad thing to think of yourself as a God or, greater than the creator? Wouldn't the creators ultimate goal be for us (his quote on quote "children" to cultivate our own universe with it's own galaxies, stars, planets, and lifeforms? There are some 8+ billion people on this earth, why cant we create or own personal worlds? Why can't man be unbounded? Is to be an a"all-knowing" human being a bad thing? These are questions that I have always had...

I'm curious, why do we label people who are "schizophrenic" or "savant/idiot savant", crazy/mental/******ed because their reality is different or because they seem so knowledgeful? Why are our brains so advanced to the point that we can dictate mood and all of the goings on created by this reality we call life? I think ultimately that, understanding the many abilities of your brain surpass anything and is above all, the true foundation of life. Why is it such a bad thing to think of yourself as a God or, greater than the creator? Wouldn't the creators ultimate goal be for us (his quote on quote "children" to cultivate our own universe with it's own galaxies, stars, planets, and lifeforms? There are some 8+ billion people on this earth, why cant we create or own personal worlds? Why can't man be unbounded? Is to be an a"all-knowing" human being a bad thing? These are questions that I have always had...

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Stockholm Patriot

Me personally I've reached the point of psychosis where I just can't endure the anguish and restraints that something non-existent (or yet to be seen) has over one's life.
I deal with real life issues, real life problems, real life pain ...It's just preposterous to give control of my life to something that has yet proven to be viable.
People aimlessly limiting themselves to chance and it rules in their favor it's "God" and if it doesn't it's Lucifer. *#*+ that, faith in "God" is mental disease....religion is a
cash cow that exploits the stupid. "Sin", is mental terror for the weak who are scared to explore horizons to obtain knowledge of self.

God doesn't exist
clap23.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
   This

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Stockholm Patriot

Me personally I've reached the point of psychosis where I just can't endure the anguish and restraints that something non-existent (or yet to be seen) has over one's life.
I deal with real life issues, real life problems, real life pain ...It's just preposterous to give control of my life to something that has yet proven to be viable.
People aimlessly limiting themselves to chance and it rules in their favor it's "God" and if it doesn't it's Lucifer. *#*+ that, faith in "God" is mental disease....religion is a
cash cow that exploits the stupid. "Sin", is mental terror for the weak who are scared to explore horizons to obtain knowledge of self.

God doesn't exist
clap23.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
   This

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

when i was a kid, i used to believe in god, the good and loving god. then growing up, i found out that god would let innocent people burn in hell after they die because they grew up on a remote island on the other side of the world and never knew about or came in contact with his son Jesus Christ in order to believe in Jesus.... and so i figured, if god is like that, he's unfair, biased, racist, wrathful, destructive and doesn't love the people he created equally.... how then could he be THE god?.... then i considered other religions and realized their gods are just as evil, if not the same. with that in mind, i could not bring myself to continue to worship something this bad.... if there is a good god, he does not exist in our world.
Good post, fully agreed.

Or better yet, being born into a situation where you have one eye, or missing limbs, and supposed to be okay with that because a book says so. L. O. L.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

when i was a kid, i used to believe in god, the good and loving god. then growing up, i found out that god would let innocent people burn in hell after they die because they grew up on a remote island on the other side of the world and never knew about or came in contact with his son Jesus Christ in order to believe in Jesus.... and so i figured, if god is like that, he's unfair, biased, racist, wrathful, destructive and doesn't love the people he created equally.... how then could he be THE god?.... then i considered other religions and realized their gods are just as evil, if not the same. with that in mind, i could not bring myself to continue to worship something this bad.... if there is a good god, he does not exist in our world.
Good post, fully agreed.

Or better yet, being born into a situation where you have one eye, or missing limbs, and supposed to be okay with that because a book says so. L. O. L.

I was never raised in a religion when people asked I just said my mom is catholic.

Went to a Catholic High School. Had to take a religion class every year. It was there I was taught what i was actually supposed to be believing if i was a catholic

When you actually hear a grown man say "And then the snake said...." I can't believe any of that.

I'm glad i went to Catholic high school because it taught me a lot about religion and why i want no part of it.

I was never raised in a religion when people asked I just said my mom is catholic.

Went to a Catholic High School. Had to take a religion class every year. It was there I was taught what i was actually supposed to be believing if i was a catholic

When you actually hear a grown man say "And then the snake said...." I can't believe any of that.

I'm glad i went to Catholic high school because it taught me a lot about religion and why i want no part of it.

I wonder how many of Americans believe in god because of this thread. Here in Finland religion is somewhat dying and people just doesn't care. Nobody goes to church and people are breaking from the church. I don't know anyone who admits believing in god.

I wonder how many of Americans believe in god because of this thread. Here in Finland religion is somewhat dying and people just doesn't care. Nobody goes to church and people are breaking from the church. I don't know anyone who admits believing in god.

Originally Posted by ONEFORALL

When I hear someone admit to believing in god the first question I want to ask is 'how $#+#$#% old are you?'

Originally Posted by ONEFORALL

When I hear someone admit to believing in god the first question I want to ask is 'how $#+#$#% old are you?'

I know I am late to the party but I have a few things to say:

1. A friend recently made this point to me as to why women generally are easier to accept religious submission than men are. It is an ego thing, women are more prone/likely to follow/submit to a man (God) than men are. It might be subconscious but for a man to basically admit that another man is greater than he will ever be is a lot to ask for. I am not saying that this is every man's reasoning but I found that point worth thinking about.

2. I recently interviewed for 2 jobs, and both employers asked me about my spirituality. I thought they were out of line (still do) but I think they used the, "You are asking to work for a Catholic Based Institution so I have the right to ask you" logic in their approach. I was hesitant but they both got the point that I didn't believe in God or I questioned his existence. I actually got in a heated argument with one of them and I could tell he was a little upset because of my persistence and non-budging on the topic. Well I ended up getting the other job. But still, I found it funny that they came at me like that.

I know I am late to the party but I have a few things to say:

1. A friend recently made this point to me as to why women generally are easier to accept religious submission than men are. It is an ego thing, women are more prone/likely to follow/submit to a man (God) than men are. It might be subconscious but for a man to basically admit that another man is greater than he will ever be is a lot to ask for. I am not saying that this is every man's reasoning but I found that point worth thinking about.

2. I recently interviewed for 2 jobs, and both employers asked me about my spirituality. I thought they were out of line (still do) but I think they used the, "You are asking to work for a Catholic Based Institution so I have the right to ask you" logic in their approach. I was hesitant but they both got the point that I didn't believe in God or I questioned his existence. I actually got in a heated argument with one of them and I could tell he was a little upset because of my persistence and non-budging on the topic. Well I ended up getting the other job. But still, I found it funny that they came at me like that.

Although I no longer subscribe to a religion, that doesn't make me any less moral or immoral a person

See this is what people don't understand. For the longest, anytime I talked to someone about me questioning the existence of Go, they automatically chalked that up to me being a Devil Worshipper. 
laugh.gif
. I usually say, fool, if I don't believe in God why do you think I believe in the Devil? They usually had no answer.

But I had to explain to this girl that she needs to get rid of the idea of finding a "God fearing man" and dismissing a dude because he doesn't fear God or believe in him. Other than going to church, what is wrong with dealing with someone that isn't a believer? I can be the best dude you have ever met but because I am not Christian means I should be dismissed? Also, not to mention dudes that she dealt with in the past WERE Christian and they did her dirty, so what can you really say about a man's faith and how that relates to the type of dude he is/will become? Nothing.

Although I no longer subscribe to a religion, that doesn't make me any less moral or immoral a person

See this is what people don't understand. For the longest, anytime I talked to someone about me questioning the existence of Go, they automatically chalked that up to me being a Devil Worshipper. 
laugh.gif
. I usually say, fool, if I don't believe in God why do you think I believe in the Devil? They usually had no answer.

But I had to explain to this girl that she needs to get rid of the idea of finding a "God fearing man" and dismissing a dude because he doesn't fear God or believe in him. Other than going to church, what is wrong with dealing with someone that isn't a believer? I can be the best dude you have ever met but because I am not Christian means I should be dismissed? Also, not to mention dudes that she dealt with in the past WERE Christian and they did her dirty, so what can you really say about a man's faith and how that relates to the type of dude he is/will become? Nothing.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

laugh.gif

QFT!!!!!!!!!

In order to believe in the devil, you have to believe in God. Theistic devil worship is one of the most irrational things I've ever heard of. Why would anyone ever willingly join the "losing team"? It's been made clear in the bible that rolling with Satan is an L.....this is if you believe in the devil that was described in the bible.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

laugh.gif

QFT!!!!!!!!!

In order to believe in the devil, you have to believe in God. Theistic devil worship is one of the most irrational things I've ever heard of. Why would anyone ever willingly join the "losing team"? It's been made clear in the bible that rolling with Satan is an L.....this is if you believe in the devil that was described in the bible.

This just came to me randomly, but the term "God-fearing man" is how I avoided religion as a child.

Even as a little kid in a Catholic school, I could see that we are supposed to worship God out of fear.  That's just a sentiment I couldn't accept.

This just came to me randomly, but the term "God-fearing man" is how I avoided religion as a child.

Even as a little kid in a Catholic school, I could see that we are supposed to worship God out of fear.  That's just a sentiment I couldn't accept.

Atheism is entirely overrated to me and I firmly believe that a lot of people who think they're atheists aren't really. That said, I don't believe in organized religion but do believe in God/gods/whatever.

Atheism is entirely overrated to me and I firmly believe that a lot of people who think they're atheists aren't really. That said, I don't believe in organized religion but do believe in God/gods/whatever.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Could you explain your position?

Back
Top Bottom