Asian Culture Discussion Thread

At the end of the day, every championship team is going to have players who rode the bench during the run. It's not easy to get on a championship team. A lot of it is skill and luck. Still, he's achieved a lot for a guy who probably would have been out of the NBA years ago if D'Antoni didn't take a chance on him out of desperation. Lin's real problem is arrogance. He thinks he deserves more. But even so, he's still achieved more than a lot of people- made millions and has a championship to his name. He can use all of that and go play abroad or maybe get into entertainment. Maybe even get into commentary, he knows the game, knows how to speak. He has options.

At the end of the day, every championship team is going to have players who rode the bench during the run. It's not easy to get on a championship team. A lot of it is skill and luck. Still, he's achieved a lot for a guy who probably would have been out of the NBA years ago if D'Antoni didn't take a chance on him out of desperation. Lin's real problem is arrogance. He thinks he deserves more. But even so, he's still achieved more than a lot of people- made millions and has a championship to his name. He can use all of that and go play abroad or maybe get into entertainment. Maybe even get into commentary, he knows the game, knows how to speak. He has options.

Really? I've never gotten that vibe from him.
He was playing decent with Atlanta. I know Trae Young recently came out and said he was a great vet to have.

I remember reading Lowry recruited Lin to Toronto during buyout season.
I wonder if Atlanta would've resigned Lin had he stayed rather than moving to Toronto.

Really? I've never gotten that vibe from him.
He was playing decent with Atlanta. I know Trae Young recently came out and said he was a great vet to have.

I remember reading Lowry recruited Lin to Toronto during buyout season.
I wonder if Atlanta would've resigned Lin had he stayed rather than moving to Toronto.

It's not the kind of blatant arrogance one would expect from most athletes. But again, he is not looking at things objectively here. He's lucky to have made it in the NBA for as long as he has. He could have very easily been a dude who signed short term contracts for his NBA career before heading off to Europe. Instead, he needs to reflect on all that he has achieved despite that fact and use his experience and fame to get into something else. He may not look at this way, but he has achieved the NBA dream- millions of dollars and a championship. No team wants to sign you? Get over it, you're still young, smart, famous and you have a title and have opened the doors for future Asians in the league. If it's time to bow out, bow out. But don't cry about it like you're a big failure cause you're not.

I wonder if the ig and Twitter comments about him might play a role in his current troubles. I've never seen a player get so many comments about doing nothing for a ring. It has to sting knowing people label him as the guy that did nothing. I hate looking at the comments on any Lin post, it'll always have these trolls
The REAL question is why does he get more harassment than any other benchwarmer that has ever won a ring?

Everyone knows why. People hate that he received so much attention when he was on the knicks and they don't respect an Asian ballplayer. Even whitlock's uncle tom self wrote an espn article about him with the word ***** in it.

The REAL question is why does he get more harassment than any other benchwarmer that has ever won a ring?

Probably because Linsanity garnered so much attention and he was hyped up as a superstar. Add the whole thing with Melo so during the Playoffs/Finals fans were saying Lin has had a better career than Melo.

Of course there are memes of Patrick McCaw winning a championship for every season of his NBA career but everyone knows it's all jokes. There are Lin fans that seem to seriously think he's better than Carmelo Anthony.

There were some wild headlines during that run. As shogun mentioned, the "C in the armor" :smh:
Someone tweeted some nonsense about Jlin and couple inches of linsanity- something like that.
Only really remember these things though because of the water cooler talk - ignorant coworkers who couldn't understand what was wrong with saying these things, to debates as to why Linsanity was even a thing, when Ronald Murray got like 1 Sportscenter highlight segment.

I definitely agree he was targeted by racism during Linsanity, but I thought we were talking specifically about him being a benchwarmer for a championship team.
My point is the criticism he's receiving now is mainly reactionary to him being elevated because of what he once was. I don't think he'd get all this hate if he only achieved Norris Cole levels of attention and Linsanity never happened; he'd just be another guy carried to a ring. Sun Yue didin't receive this hate when he won with Kobe's Lakers.

I just hope Jeremy Lin is on SOME roster next year, so he can receive a proper ring ceremony.

What I think is happening, or I hope is happening is that he wants more than the vet min. As a Raptors fan I have no problem giving him the vet min.

Screenshot_20190729-231137.png

I can somewhat agree with masagipatron masagipatron that Lin is slightly arrogant in him thinking he deserves more but he needs one more consistent season to prove he deserves more than the vet min. He should sign with a team that will back him, maybe even embrace a bench role and ball the **** out. He shouldn't be thinking about next season but the seasons after.

If not 8 seasons being undrafted, winning a title, Linsanity and everything he's accomplished will forever be remembered anyways and its nothing to be overlooked.

In the context of the film itself, a movie based on a fantasy retelling of Hollywood in the late 60s, the Bruce Lee scene was purposely absurd to throw the audience off and make Cliff's character seem like an unstoppable badass which he sort of ends up being. Having said that, if Bruce Lee were my pops, I would probably take offense like Shannon did.

I understand what Tarantino was doing and if you read what Shannon wrote, she understood too. He still turned Bruce into a complete joke and out of all the people who really existed, only him and Manson come out looking bad in this film.

Didn't see it but sounds bad from what I'm reading. A lot of people saying they felt uncomfortable with how he was portrayed, saying people were laughing at his image in the theatres, and he was made into a gag.

Last edited:
When I saw it last weekend, some people laughed, some gasped. I was like "Whoa, people are not going to like that".

For whatever reason racism against asians in America seems to be ok and happens without a bat of an eye

Back
Top Bottom