Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Don't know how many of y'all have seen Wu Assassins on Netflix, but there's a scene in one of the episodes where they go OFF inside a diner full of racist rednecks :smokin

First season came out last week and it's 10 episodes. I'd recommend it if you don't mind some cheesy CGI and subpar acting, the fighting and action is pretty good. Some good characters that will keep you interested. Really enjoyed Lewis Tan's character and dude that plays Uncle Six, who drops knowledge throughout the show.

These HK protests have gotten way beyond initial concerns and issues. Enough blame to go all around. So if Hong Kong don’t get their stuff together, whole thing is going to go off the deep end. Right or Wrong, stuff can’t continue like this without coming to a head.
Hope for the best.

Was watching the new asian boss youtube vid, didnt know the chinese media and people been saying simu liu is too ugly to star in a marvel movie. Some were roasting him in the video. They seem to be into the pale, feminine korean celebrity look.

^^^
Honestly it seemed like Ludi Lin would’ve fit that bill a little better. That’s why when the rumors of the shortlist were out, I wasn’t surprised.

Simu is my guy, and I love everything he stands for outside of acting too, but his casting was a huge surprise. Regardless, Shang Chi is going to be okay. If anything, I feel martial arts flicks kind of coming back with Warrior, Wu Assassins, etc getting decent reception.

The thing now though is how MCU are going to distinguish themselves and convince the viewing public that this character isn’t a novelty act or due diligence for the Asian community. In my opinion, Namor, Amadeus Cho as Hulk/Brawn, or even a more serious Jimmy Woo would’ve been more impactful IMO.

simu liu head is shaped like

81eyxiBpkkL._SY606_.jpg

She's from China she'd be in prison if she thought otherwise I don't think she has a choice

Even hk celebrities and powerful figures aren't really saying anything to support the protests, not sure if fear of being in a Chinese prison or losing out on china's money

Was watching the new asian boss youtube vid, didnt know the chinese media and people been saying simu liu is too ugly to star in a marvel movie. Some were roasting him in the video. They seem to be into the pale, feminine korean celebrity look.

Sim Liu doesn't seem to have that IT factor. Dude isn't up there like a Henry Golding, other south east asian actors like Aaron Kwok, or the Godfrey fellow. Hell, Randall Park has more star quality than Sim Liu.

He is like the male version of Lucy Liu. Except white media only loves stereotypical looking asian women.

Y'all looking at it with American lenses if you're surprised any mainland Chinese celebrity wouldn't be for mainland politics. It's different over there. While we're all on our high horse over here in the States, the companies and brands we love are dying to get that bread from these same people with similar stances (supporting police brutality). The Hong Kong protests are extremely effective, in regards to disrupting that nation and its economy, and that airport is a very important international airport. If anything, the Hongkongers are really showing those of us with the right to protest how it's done. Although I believe it's admirable AF, sadly I don't think it'll end well. While I'd hate to see it, it's just a reminder that the world is a big place and doesn't revolve around our views and influence.

That Mulan chick is American Chinese I read. If so she gets the freedom of being American that the hk people don't get. She shouldn't be talking

That Mulan chick is American Chinese I read. If so she gets the freedom of being American that the hk people don't get. She shouldn't be talking
I don't think she was born here, she might've lived here for a bit but I don't think that qualifies her as Chinese American unless she went through the whole citizenship thing while she was here for those few years. Regardless, who she is over there in China is way bigger than who she could be here in the States as most of us haven't even heard of her until she got the Mulan role.

People here in the States may choose to not watch it because of her stance, but the majority of China who agree with her stance will continue to show out. That matters to Disney more than what a select few here may think.

I don't think she was born here, she might've lived here for a bit but I don't think that qualifies her as Chinese American unless she went through the whole citizenship thing while she was here for those few years. Regardless, who she is over there in China is way bigger than who she could be here in the States as most of us haven't even heard of her until she got the Mulan role.

People here in the States may choose to not watch it because of her stance, but the majority of China who agree with her stance will continue to show out. That matters to Disney more than what a select few here may think.
Would have been better for her to keep quiet than to share her support for communism, police brutality, and oppression

QU!K QU!K I also believe it would've been better to keep quiet, and if she had a decent agent they should've advised her to do so.

Back
Top Bottom