Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

@AKA I respect your opinion and how you feel, my only question is do you have the same attitude towards companies like Wal-mart, Mcdondalds, Apples and Adidas which is the #2 top shoe company lol since I already know you dislike Nike....who all have many social issues. If you do have this same attitude towards these companies l can understand the agenda behind your words and secluded stories that you are making public. I also know that you are Pro-Adidas, who as well as has some the same social problems as Nike and from your point of view how can you support one over the other if wrong is wrong?

Wonderful, wonderful point and question, thank you for asking.
You are correct, as every business has their dirty little secrets, skeletons so to speak. But my issue both starts, then ends, with exploitation.
The biggest issue that I have with Nike is how they market toward certain segments of society. The Air Jordan XI release over this past Christmas holiday, does exemplify the exploitation of which I speak. I made mention of this before, right after those events. You cannot find an Air Jordan anywhere near Greenwich, Connecticut, which is a wealthy WASP enclave up in the northeast corridor of the United States. It is also the hometown of former President George Bush Sr.
However, the disturbances over the XI occurred in areas where people of a decidedly darker hue reside.
When news reporters were tipped off about the release and subsequent camp outs, they needn't go to Greenwich for the big story.
I wondered aloud, would the police in Greenwich even allow such a spectacle? A bunch of kids of color, perhaps all of varying ethnicity, sleeping on the sidewalks of the wealthiest town in America?
To completely be fair, they don't sell Old English Malt Liquor in Greenwich either.

Understood, it is fair to say you nor I wouldn't open an urban shoe/clothing in Greenwich, CT for those certain reason that you have stated above. So is your problems with Nike's demographic and geographic marketing or camping of the XI or camping period is what i don't understand. Also, how do you feel about Nike RSVP which help to correct this camping issue.

To me your idea of exploitation would be my idea of good business: Supply where the Demand is. So why sell Old English Malt Liquor in Greenwich when there isn't a demand for it? Also, can you please elaborate more on this exploitation issue.

I feel the problem is more with people not acting civilize.

It's consumer pshychology at it's finest. They fall for it every time

I'm just wondering how many people would've purchased the 'AJ 2012 Lite' or 'Son of Mars' as consolation for missing out on the 'variant inspired' VIIs?

Again, the problem lies in the exploitation. Taking advantage of a certain demographic may seem like good business, but your rep would then be at stake. People who understand good value, knowing high quality, should always be your core customer in any business. You don't ever want to be seen stooping to conquer, as people who know high quality, will then look at you as what you are.
Something left for those who lack a certain sophistication.
So when the demo you've taken advantage of for so long no longer supports your product, whether it be from lack of employment, or a wane in popularity...
...you are screwed.
I think this also is the reason we are seeing more and more desired product from Jordan Brand these days as well.
Nike divesting from Cole Haan and Umbro and then tightening their belts, is a sign that they see something coming down the pike.
Edit: Nice convo.

AKA, if given the opportunity Adidas would switch positions with Nike in a heartbeat - you and I both know this. How they'd conduct their business is anyone's guess but I'm certain it would be no better/worse than Nike.

I'm also curious - what JB product is deemed as desirable to you? Is it the signature line-up? It sure as hell can't be the quality as that's stuck somewhere in '04.

Again, the problem lies in the exploitation. Taking advantage of a certain demographic may seem like good business, but your rep would then be at stake. People who understand good value, knowing high quality, should always be your core customer in any business. You don't ever want to be seen stooping to conquer, as people who know high quality, will then look at you as what you are.
Something left for those who lack a certain sophistication.
So when the demo you've taken advantage of for so long no longer supports your product, whether it be from lack of employment, or a wane in popularity...
...you are screwed.
I think this also is the reason we are seeing more and more desired product from Jordan Brand these days as well.
Nike divesting from Cole Haan and Umbro and then tightening their belts, is a sign that they see something coming down the pike.
Edit: Nice convo.
So basically, "Nike don't care about black people"?

I like a lot of the information you bring and agree with a lot of your opinions, and I also dislike those who carve swooshes into themselves, swearing up and down that Nike is the alpha-omega, but the way you responded to Corndog was just wrong and uncalled for. He was just suggesting that we use a different thread as to not dilute it or make it harder for people to find the actual Q&A.  I would like to see you take a more objective/unbiased stance. Take some of that fire out of your posts. In most of your posts I swear Nike, Inc. killed your parents. You strongly disagree with their exploitation of the urban demographic (including all races), cause those people buy the majority of their footwear. You're right, it's disgusting. The diminishing quality and the price hikes are disgusting. The lack of innovation and the overuse of gimmicks and reliance on retros is downright sad. But just cause someone questions you does not mean they are trying to stop you from sharing your opinion, nor are they "drinking the kool-aid". A lot of members on the board fit that, but not all. If you would be more tolerant of others' viewpoints you would be taken a lot more seriously, and no one would be really able to oppose you. But when you act so valiantly anti-Nike, you're gonna get a lot of Nike warriors, or people who just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, put a swoosh on their chest.

For the most part though, I enjoy your posts and hope you continue.

Not only does Nike exploit people of a "decidedly darker" hue by forcing them to camp out overnight to buy multiple pairs of an overhyped shoe to resell on Ebay or Craigslist...but more importantly, they are not fashionable! I attend Fashion Week Los Angeles and the people there (who are not skateboarding kids like you Niketalkers who are blinded by the Swoosh) prefer an Adidas Campus over an Air Force 1. Look...I have friends in the League so I know more then all of you. No matter how much I talk down to you all sycophants of the Swoosh and Hijack posts...the real reason my message is poo-pooed on is because I'm right and all my points are valid most the time...usually...kinda.

I'd have to agree as I've actually had pretty good banter in this thread with AKA when some questions slowed down.

I think the point AKA misses from folks are this.  Its a Nike messageboard where usually people come to get pictures and information on products they are interested in or like myself am brand loyal to.   Brand Loyalty has never been a bad thing.  Many people are Brand Loyal in several industries from cars to cereal. 

Yet when a person comes in many threads stating Anti Nike this or that it comes off as odd on a Nike message board.  Sort of like a Target Consumer roaming around Walmart telling shoppers how silly they are for continuing to patron Walmart. No one really went there looking for information on Target or cares to hear the horror stories, but they get it against their choice.

Some folks who choose to research will simply do so on their own because they really want to know what is the flip side of Nike.. OR they will ask.. but when it comes off as Im a shopper of Target but told Im stupid for doing so, its a rubbed the wrong way feeling. I always think everyone has a right to voice their opinion, but when a girlfriend argues and her man just wants to watch the game in another room, and she steps left and right to block his passage things get rough. 

I think folks would appreciate the information and banter AKA provided much more if it weren't as abrasive in some respects and made to make them feel as though they are the crap of the earth for their purchases.  I have seen a slight change in tone I must admit since first encounters but again, people judge on history and AKA has built up alot of angst with folks. 

Personally I either receive the info I like and filter what I dont.. I dont let it affect me to a point where I am bothered. But to the point of the thread being started to answer questions about Nike I was hesitant because CWK started it and I didnt want to hijack it and still dont want to I just want to provide some insight on experiences there that CWK may not have insight on. My experiences are not hearsay my accounts are not based on someone elses accounts.. only my own and information given to me or heard by me. 

I challenge anyone to challenge any info Ive provided, as its all been fact... no matter WHAT you've heard from someone who's worked there or knows someone who worked there. Hope my info's been received well. 

I'd have to agree as I've actually had pretty good banter in this thread with AKA when some questions slowed down.

I think the point AKA misses from folks are this.  Its a Nike messageboard where usually people come to get pictures and information on products they are interested in or like myself am brand loyal to.   Brand Loyalty has never been a bad thing.  Many people are Brand Loyal in several industries from cars to cereal. 

Yet when a person comes in many threads stating Anti Nike this or that it comes off as odd on a Nike message board.  Sort of like a Target Consumer roaming around Walmart telling shoppers how silly they are for continuing to patron Walmart. No one really went there looking for information on Target or cares to hear the horror stories, but they get it against their choice.

Some folks who choose to research will simply do so on their own because they really want to know what is the flip side of Nike.. OR they will ask.. but when it comes off as Im a shopper of Target but told Im stupid for doing so, its a rubbed the wrong way feeling. I always think everyone has a right to voice their opinion, but when a girlfriend argues and her man just wants to watch the game in another room, and she steps left and right to block his passage things get rough. 

I think folks would appreciate the information and banter AKA provided much more if it weren't as abrasive in some respects and made to make them feel as though they are the crap of the earth for their purchases.  I have seen a slight change in tone I must admit since first encounters but again, people judge on history and AKA has built up alot of angst with folks. 

Personally I either receive the info I like and filter what I dont.. I dont let it affect me to a point where I am bothered. But to the point of the thread being started to answer questions about Nike I was hesitant because CWK started it and I didnt want to hijack it and still dont want to I just want to provide some insight on experiences there that CWK may not have insight on. My experiences are not hearsay my accounts are not based on someone elses accounts.. only my own and information given to me or heard by me. 

I challenge anyone to challenge any info Ive provided, as its all been fact... no matter WHAT you've heard from someone who's worked there or knows someone who worked there. Hope my info's been received well. 

bro the problem with aka is he lies about alot of stuff and also completely alters info to where it becomes ridiculously unbelievable. and in his words its always FACTS not opinion. his hate for nike and kobe really gets him onto trouble. you dont get banned over 8 times for just voicing your opinion

did you know that he told me that me and you know each other? and that you hated me? lol we dont even know each other personally or in real life. he also calls me chris which is not my name and claims i work for nike. :lol:

Damn... that made me chuckle 
roll.gif
out loud.. 

Well I dont HATE anyone.. even AKA even when we had heated Banter. I dont know him just to clarify.  Outside the DC Forum.. I only know MAYBE 5 people on NT.

Didn't even meet any of the gangsta mob who said they were coming to my house when I was accused of scamming.  I guess I just dont take stuff too seriously UNLESS you are threatening the welfare of my family and at that point I dont care if Im banned for life because I've contributed alot here but NT aint making me or breaking me in life.

People who know me respect me and Im sure I've helped some folks Ive never met with all the inboxes I get I dont know. Im all about paying it forward. Hopefully this thread has helped ALOT of people about their dream of working at the Swoosh and or gave them cautious pause.  Even after ALL I went through I'd say it was one of the best experiences in life.

There was alot of jealousy because I was able to just up and move my entire family out there, get a nice crib and had some of the same SOBs IN my house that did some cruddy stuff....but you live and learn.  I know I made alot of good friends and even better business connections that have helped me secure great interviews as I moved out of Beaverton resumed my Marketing business and got into TV and Radio here locally albeit by accident.

Some of the same scandalous dudes doing stuff in Beaverton are doing the same old stuff, so all I can do is chuckle and keep it moving.   No business or Industry is all peaches and cream Not Nike.. Not Adidas Not Apple Not Microsoft. 

As some folks who work for me and they'll tell you I can be dickish at times....but one thing I am is loyal and fair but Im always about business. Cant say the same about many others.  Just gotta find out for yourselves I suppose like I did. 

/Rant

Not only does Nike exploit people of a "decidedly darker" hue by forcing them to camp out overnight to buy multiple pairs of an overhyped shoe to resell on Ebay or Craigslist...but more importantly, they are not fashionable! I attend Fashion Week Los Angeles and the people there (who are not skateboarding kids like you Niketalkers who are blinded by the Swoosh) prefer an Adidas Campus over an Air Force 1. Look...I have friends in the League so I know more then all of you. No matter how much I talk down to you all sycophants of the Swoosh and Hijack posts...the real reason my message is poo-pooed on is because I'm right and all my points are valid most the time...usually...kinda.

Has no one on this forum ever heard the phrase "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar"? Vanexellent, AKA, etc. all make quality points and add a lot to the discussion, but because they act all-knowing and talk down to everyone who might mildly disagree with them (or that they construe as disagreeing with them) the vast majority of people just shut them out. The other thing that people need to take account of on this board is that it is OBSCENELY EASY to lie about who you are and what you know. This is not a reputable news source where people have to back up what they say with facts and sources, this is the internet, aka the wild wild west of journalistic integrity. Everything said needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

lol, time for an employment question, it's been almost a page without one:
what departments and functions have you seen engineers working in? i'm thinking how industrial design is to mechanical engineering, as architecture is to civil engineering. can you guys think of which departments or positions complement the product development or design process, as opposed to something further downstream in the process like manufacturing?

when i check the corporate nike site, the positions i always tend to break down into something like this:
product designer - industrial design degree + experience
manufacturing engineer - industrial/mechanical engineer degree + experience
product developer - engineering degree + some obscene amount of experience, like "5+ years in apparel design, or 10 years in lieu of apparel design experience"

thanks for the thread; it'll likely become a mainstay in this forum for a long time to come

Jooz.... engineers work in the research dept over in the MIA HAMM building doing cutting edge stuff with actual scientist.  The stuff you test research and develop is unreal and seen many times before anyone else on campus other than the designers in the kitchen.

As for Product Developers they mostly have engineering degrees and see MANY perks such as Full Size runs of kicks because they are the one's who make sure each shoe in each size is basically what it needs to be when consumers wear it and not all odd and out of wack looking. "Irregular"

Many cool good guys I've met that do Product Development in Nike Basketball Jordan and Sports Wear. Engineers in Product Development assist the PLMs with Concepts at times too... letting them know what can and can't be done technically before taking a concept to a designer or when coming back to a designer after a designer has done up initial concepts and samples have been moched up.

Some seriously interesting stuff.

Hope that helps..  

AKA, thanks for the recap.
Before the big switch, a cat named BigEscobar dropped some knowledge about the Pou Chen group manufacturing damn near every athletic sneaker in China/Indonesia/Vietnam. I wonder if he could shed some more light on the manufacturing and distribution process.

Pou Chen makes almost all Nike, adidas and Reebok shoes as well as many other brands.........It's funny that everyone argues over who's quality is better and who has less glue stains and stuff when they are all produced by the same huge factory conglomerate......

Also samples are always different in quality, because they are often made in model shops, not in the actual factory......I brought back an old brand and when you compare the initial first samples they made for me to the now final production model, there are many, many differences when you go over the shoe with a fine tooth comb....someone is literally making the samples by hand when compared to a production line final version

My stuff is not produced in Pou Chen, but from what I understand, Nike and Pou Chen have a deal where Pou Chen is guaranteed X amount profit on every shoe produced. They must show Nike a line sheet of every single material in the shoe and the cost, which Nike will closely examine since they know the prices since the materials are all being supplied as ordered by Nike from Nike suppliers.....they go back and forth and agree on the actual true cost of the shoe, and then the factory gets their guaranteed profit added on top of that.......

much appreciated, definitely interesting info! sounds like something i could get really invested in. gonna keep my eyes peeled on their job site, and hope something comes up i qualify for

Pou Chen makes almost all Nike, adidas and Reebok shoes as well as many other brands.........It's funny that everyone argues over who's quality is better and who has less glue stains and stuff when they are all produced by the same huge factory conglomerate......
Also samples are always different in quality, because they are often made in model shops, not in the actual factory......I brought back an old brand and when you compare the initial first samples they made for me to the now final production model, there are many, many differences when you go over the shoe with a fine tooth comb....someone is literally making the samples by hand when compared to a production line final version
My stuff is not produced in Pou Chen, but from what I understand, Nike and Pou Chen have a deal where Pou Chen is guaranteed X amount profit on every shoe produced. They must show Nike a line sheet of every single material in the shoe and the cost, which Nike will closely examine since they know the prices since the materials are all being supplied as ordered by Nike from Nike suppliers.....they go back and forth and agree on the actual true cost of the shoe, and then the factory gets their guaranteed profit added on top of that.......

They need to sneak in some zoom air into those Reebok Answer IV's :evil:

They need to sneak in some zoom air into those Reebok Answer IV's
devil.gif
Why, so the fans of DMX will not want to wear them?

People wear different brands due to the fact that they are NOT like other shoes. You may like zoom air, but I can assure you, there are many more who do not.

whats up, can you contact me i have a few questions about new accounts and how to go about getting them. im in the process of opening a store in the middletown ny area(orange county/hudson valley)

I dont want to sound dickish or anything but if you are on a message board asking or needing info on how to get a new account that store may not last long my man.

You need a business advisor.  Good luck though.

Will post pics after I get off work of my LeBron Elites and show everyone what Longstroke is talking about.

^^^
Secretz, make no mistake - the 'Elite' line is nothing more than a marketing ploy to see how much consumers are willing to pay for kicks (that will not be balled in). I'm hoping you didn't pay half, let alone full retail for those joints.

Back
Top Bottom