Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

Nike dealer it was just a question being that you worked in the industry and I already have dealers and suppliers that I have been dealing with but the ultimate goal of any sneaker store owner is to have an account cause that's how you really make you money and get the shoes at the right price where its very profitable, and for to your dickhead comment I've been successful for the past 7 years I'm just moving my operation into a store now that my business has been so successful. I'm probably the best sneaker commodity in upstate ny. Like I said it was just a question and don't ever try and **** on the empire I built ......my **** was earned not given.....I live for for this ****

As for the UA discussion I think they make solid shoes, my softball cleats are UA and they're great.  I've looked at them several times and heard good things about a lot of their models.  But they're in a tough position.  Not only does every other brand have better current stars but they also have retired stars that can make retros work for them. 

I agree with finding a better face for UA bball and getting rappers to wear 'em.  But they've made some pretty sick PEs that if they were put out on a limited basis I bet would serve them very well.   For example the christmas ones they made for jennings with faux fur on 'em... they could start to make a name and put that creative-side to use.  Other than just having people see that Jennings gets it but no one else?

UA is coming along as a brand and I think they're gambling that Jennings will move to a big mkt after his contract is up (next season is his last i think) and if he ended up in NYC that would have the potential to massively change their position and strategy.  I get the feeling UA has a long approach to their branding strategy and maybe they've got it all under control and don't expect a windfall in mkt share for 2-3 more years from their footwear division.

I'm also really hoping Reebok Classics gets some serious competition for Nike in the retro dept.  I for one can't wait for anything Iverson or Emmitt and I think this is great news as competition always drives quality/performance.  The more Reebok Classics steals from JB in terms of buyers, the more JB has to step up their game to get it back, I think 2013 could be an interesting year for retros.

^^^
Give it time brother, Nike has oversaturated the market so badly that people are craving something different. UA has a niche and they're doing well in it, but they gotta step up their freebie game as I stated earlier.

I am thrilled with what Reebok is doing, as long as they keep their quality and prices on point they can recapture the retro market. Keep a handful of Retro + colourways and stick with OGs but don't drop a retro every single day of the week like Nike. Nike had it on point in the late 90s and early 00s with their retro product - spaced out retro releases with the inline product being the star(s) of the lineup. Maybe it's just me, but they innovated a helluva lot better then. Now it's a matter of regurgitating/rehashing the same product with marketing gimmicks driving it.

Nike dealer it was just a question being that you worked in the industry and I already have dealers and suppliers that I have been dealing with but the ultimate goal of any sneaker store owner is to have an account cause that's how you really make you money and get the shoes at the right price where its very profitable, and for to your dickhead comment I've been successful for the past 7 years I'm just moving my operation into a store now that my business has been so successful. I'm probably the best sneaker commodity in upstate ny. Like I said it was just a question and don't ever try and **** on the empire I built ......my **** was earned not given.....I live for for this ****

Easy there cowboy, it looks like you just joined the forum and you came in asking questions about how to get a footwear account. I can understand Rock's position with regards to your question. That said you've been in the game in the 7 years and you're doing well presently, do you need the additional overhead that comes with a storefront? Brick & mortar businesses really aren't the way of the future these days...

Secretz, UA needs to hand out freebies to every 2nd or 3rd rate rapper/celebrity that they can find. Look at what the 'Ewing' brand is doing, UA needs to do that and generate some buzz and hype. Jennings in Milwaukee won't cut it and outside of the US nobody knows of this Cam Newton cat.

Cam Newton is great for the football line. UA's a very good competitor in the cleat business, but frankly, that biz is not big at all. Cam/Vick/RGIII can all help their respective brands win small parts of the pie. UA needs some of that running money (fairly stable). But...the best way to do that is with a great product, which they haven't made yet.

I think UA is the main worry for Nike, hence why they bought the NFL license. UA gear is equal, if not more popular than Nike. Still, the brand appeals best to Middle America (you should see sales of UA vs Nike in a state like Iowa). They really just need some decent products and endorsers to kick things off, no rapper gives an eff about rocking some trash Micro G's if they aren't "hot."

I like Under Armour due to how they've worked their apparel lines. They've built their rep on a hip slogan, click clack, and they had a decent following that knows no age limit. My father who is in his late sixties, rocks Under Armour when he goes to the gym. He's an ex football player, and likes the aggressive look of their gear. He calls their stuff bad ***.

That said, with Reebok finally making a big push with their retro product, getting 'nique back into the fold, which should have happened a loooong time ago, and then with Adidas pushing forward with their performance line, the complaints on the quality and pricing of Nike product, may be the thing that busts this thing wide open for all brands, including Under Armour. 

^^

Secretz and AKA, you guys are both right about UA dominating the training (under) garment field. My friends tell me of shoppers walking into their Nike stores asking for 'Under Armour'. Whether they actually end up buying the Combat/Pro Compression gear is a different story but it speaks volumes about how well their 'brand' is doing.

AKA, I'm glad that Reebok's making noise but they need to do a better job with their endorsers. What's the point of having the 'Bawse' rock Pumps at a Reebok meeting when he goes about rocking bootleg quality Jordan retros everywhere else?

I'm glad Reebok has finally realized they have a wealth of classics in their back catalog and that it is time to retro them, but my only worry is that they are blowing their load too fast and not pacing themselves. In a span of 4-6 months they are doing/have done The Question, Answer IV, Court Victory Pump, Twilight Zone Pump, DMX Run, Shaq Attaq 1, Shaqnosis, Kamikaze 2, ES 22 and there might be more, I cant remember what else I saw in Vegas...but they are doing alot of material and dropping it quickly....

It is funny how the Question was in 20 team colors on Eastbay.com for what seemed like years for about 59.99 and made no noise, but now that Reebok has used the formula on them, they blew out quickly......I also would of liked to see Reebok continue to drop some performance basketball shoes but it seems they have completely left that arena and are strictly fashion now...Adidas might have preferred this as it eliminated Reebok from competing with adidas for the share left after Nike/JB...

Overall it is definitely good to see Reebok making some noise again, they have laid dormant for a long time, kids dont remember now but there was a long time when Reebok was right there with Nike not far behind at all and competing on all levels....

If you simply pick up the Retro's from Reebok and Adidas, actually, what's currently in stores right now, you can instantly tell that there is a huge difference in quality coming from those companies, and then that of Nike. The only thing missing for both companies lies in reputation, and their inability to advertise with vigor. I love kicks, so about once every two weeks I go into the major retailer, Foot Locker, which reminds me of Nike Town. The one in Times Square does have Adidas and Reebok product, but they're hidden away in the corner of the middle of the store, behind a partition. The clothing is out in the open, but the big line footwear items are not prominently displayed, as are the Nike product. Just once I'd love to see shoes from all brands sitting side by side like back in the day. I'd love to see Howard's new shoe sitting right next to LeBron's X, with the price tags on display.

However, we know that Nike would NEVER allow that!

Last edited:
Dag Bish.. lol  I said I wasnt tryin to be "dickish" AND I gave you all that info you asked me about when you INBOXED me and now Im a dickhead...

Ok...

Good luck my man... 

AKA... the reason Adi and Reebok arent sitting side by side is because Nike makes sure of that by stating their footwear will ONLY be in said stores if it is at eye level and prominately displayed...

I agree with everyone on UA... as an additional story... Nike football WAS very worried about UA on the gear and cleat side.. but UA has never taken advantage of that.  The NFL wanted very much for UA to win the next contract.. so much that they broke up the hat deal so as not to have Nike have the entire contract.

EVERYONE in sports wants to see UA do well as the "new" kid give Nike a run for its money, and with the inability to have the resources, you would think it gives them the creative ability to do some crazy stuff... but its the cost that will hold them back.

They do have some good stuff coming...but again pricing will be a challenge. Cams new cleat isnt even their most expensive.  That there is a problem.

How do you sell a non Sig cleat for more and tout the Sig cleat as the best of its line?    Dri fit was born ONLY because of UA as Nike got tired of everyone calling anything tight.. under Armour. lol...

When I heard that story I laughed and was intrigued at the same time.. but UA just has to find that next new product to take over the Football arena but I feel spreading itself thin already going into lifestyle products has taken away from its core focus.

I am well aware of Nike's bullying tactics, as per the story I told, one that was subsequently deleted. However, some retailers still don't play that crap. There is a store here in NYC called Paragon Sports, and they've been in business for about thirty five years. While the Nike shoes may be at the top of the rack, other offerings are right there with them. They do sell LeBron's shoe, Federer's shoe, and the perhaps a budget Nike shoe, but they do not sell Kobe's, in which I find hilarious, especially since it seems that only Footlockers and Nike Town's carry them. People go to Paragon for performance product, all sorts, even skiing. But the manager of that store told me personally, that Nike is a complete pain in the *** to deal with, and that they try and keep it to a minimum. 

Reebok retroes are done more accurately than Nike IMO, due to the fact they send the original back to the factory to have it replicated (as done with Ewing) , as opposed to Nike, who as I understand it, will simply mock up an old retro as a new drawing/design in many instances, which would explain why some retroes are so much diff than the originals.....

But when comparing quality, keep in mind that Nike,adidas and Reebok are almost all made in the same Pou Chen factories, which means that if out of them one of them has less quality, then they are just looking for shortcuts to cut costs our of the process.....

If you simply pick up the Retro's from Reebok and Adidas, actually, what's currently in stores right now, you can instantly tell that there is a huge difference in quality coming from those companies, and then that of Nike. The only thing missing for both companies lies in reputation, and their inability to advertise with vigor. I love kicks, so about once every two weeks I go into the major retailer, Foot Locker, which reminds me of Nike Town. The one in Times Square does have Adidas and Reebok product, but they're hidden away in the corner of the middle of the store, behind a partition. The clothing is out in the open, but the big line footwear items are not prominently displayed, as are the Nike product. Just once I'd love to see shoes from all brands sitting side by side like back in the day. I'd love to see Howard's new shoe sitting right next to LeBron's X, with the price tags on display.

However, we know that Nike would NEVER allow that!

But even if that happens, will customers all of a sudden flock to the Howard's? Not a Nike Stan, just saying...

But even if that happens, will customers all of a sudden flock to the Howard's? Not a Nike Stan, just saying...
I'd bet they would.

Word is out that Adidas's Rose III shoe will be at a buck sixty. If it is a full grain leather upper, then placing it next to the three hundred dollar plastic Nike model which is the LeBron X, I think that the shoes, both Rose's and Howard's, would shine brightly.  

Side note, I expected a price hike for Rose's shoes, perhaps up to about a buck forty, but not a buck sixty. When I found out, I was so disappointed, as I wanted Adidas to kick Nike in the balls. Who knows, perhaps the higher price tag will work in their favor. 

Last edited:
^^^

Performance my dude along with some full grain materials will go along way.

Lance Armstrong's about to be stripped of his medals, what's Nike's stance on this? I know that Livestrong got canned in Canada quite abruptly and recently, is it the same in the US and ROTW?

I'd bet they would.

Word is out that Adidas's Rose III shoe will be at a buck sixty. If it is a full grain leather upper, then placing it next to the three hundred dollar plastic Nike model which is the LeBron III, I think that the shoes, both Rose's and Howard's, would shine brightly.  

Side note, I expected a price hike for Rose's shoes, perhaps up to about a buck forty, but not a buck sixty. When I found out, I was so disappointed, as I wanted Adidas to kick Nike in the balls. Who knows, perhaps the higher price tag will work in their favor. 

The $300+ will be for the Lebron's with the computer chip, but the regular ones will be around $180. Still outrageous I know. But whoever buys the Lebron's will have made up their minds before even entering the mall. It won't be an impulse purchase. Their mind won't wander around and land on some three stripes.

BTW how much will the Howard's be priced at since the DRose will be $140, I'm assuming a little more? But then Adidas needs to charge more because they cut Rose a nice check. Too bad he won't even be playing for most of this upcoming season.

Last edited:
AKA... the reason Adi and Reebok arent sitting side by side is because Nike makes sure of that by stating their footwear will ONLY be in said stores if it is at eye level and prominately displayed...

I agree with everyone on UA... as an additional story... Nike football WAS very worried about UA on the gear and cleat side.. but UA has never taken advantage of that.  The NFL wanted very much for UA to win the next contract.. so much that they broke up the hat deal so as not to have Nike have the entire contract.

EVERYONE in sports wants to see UA do well as the "new" kid give Nike a run for its money, and with the inability to have the resources, you would think it gives them the creative ability to do some crazy stuff... but its the cost that will hold them back.

They do have some good stuff coming...but again pricing will be a challenge. Cams new cleat isnt even their most expensive.  That there is a problem.

How do you sell a non Sig cleat for more and tout the Sig cleat as the best of its line?    Dri fit was born ONLY because of UA as Nike got tired of everyone calling anything tight.. under Armour. lol...

When I heard that story I laughed and was intrigued at the same time.. but UA just has to find that next new product to take over the Football arena but I feel spreading itself thin already going into lifestyle products has taken away from its core focus.

Gotta mention that UA doesn't really make very much money either. Check out their free cash flow--virtually none.

As for quality, aside from the LeBron Elite, I'd say quality is pretty much equal across the board. That shoe is just terribly made. :smh:

I have a different question. I was recently in London and was shocked to see so many recent releases available in FSR's. I easily picked up OLY 6 & 7, 6&7 GMP and a lot of OLY stuff with no issue. Why is this? Is it a culture thing (resellers, hypebeast, etc) of are kicks just not as crazy there? I saw people wearing some hot stuff there, but couldn't understand the availability of these shoes, since they sold out in minutes here in the states. Thoughts?

^^^
Performance my dude along with some full grain materials will go along way.
Lance Armstrong's about to be stripped of his medals, what's Nike's stance on this? I know that Livestrong got canned in Canada quite abruptly and recently, is it the same in the US and ROTW?
We talked about this on our show the other day.

As of now no sponsors had dropped Lance and Nike's made WAAAAY too much money from Lance to leave him. 

They were the one's to take a chance on Livestrong and it panned out. They are riding that to the grave.

Also Lance has done more for people than just riding a bike. He's inspired many and made alot of money for research. 

Plus the USADA is the one wanting to strip him not everyone has been on the same bandwagon.

I have a different question. I was recently in London and was shocked to see so many recent releases available in FSR's. I easily picked up OLY 6 & 7, 6&7 GMP and a lot of OLY stuff with no issue. Why is this? Is it a culture thing (resellers, hypebeast, etc) of are kicks just not as crazy there? I saw people wearing some hot stuff there, but couldn't understand the availability of these shoes, since they sold out in minutes here in the states. Thoughts?

How much do they cost over there? The same?

Its pretty known that basketball shoes sit in Europe, running shoes are the huge market over there, its not uncommon for JB/Nike to ship back product from overseas back to the states

Its pretty known that basketball shoes sit in Europe, running shoes are the huge market over there, its not uncommon for JB/Nike to ship back product from overseas back to the states

hmm good to know I'll keep that in mind. What about the Concord XI's, did those sit?

Code:

Thanks for the info. That would certainly explain why there was so much available.

Back
Top Bottom