Ask A Hedge Fund Fraud

401k advice? About to sign up, never have before. Got a list of different funds. Don't know what to do...

Have the federal government Sponser it. You have to pay for the test but they will act as your Sponser

Don't know if you answered this but how would you get your licenses ( series 7, 66) or any other if your not employed with a firm first? Would you be able to just take the tests pass then apply and try to get a entry job with a firm. Thanks for all the info you've dropped in this thread.

I don't know your state but do to Thomkins McGuire and also look up regulatory lawyers. That's all I know

[quote name=url="/t/506907/ask-a-hedge-fund-insider/360#post_17379844"]
What steps would you suggest I take to break into the field while in law school?[/quote]

Why not just launch a master-feeder? I think i recall you're currently a domestic stand alone right?

Depending if you went Cayman, BVI or Euro surely you could attract the capital since non-profits, foreigners and deferred vehicles are deploying capital at a faster rate than US citizens.

Plus the cost scale would be good since your platform wouldn't change much.
I would put it toward the face...my infrastructure is already taken care of most of it is out sourced to service providers

Yes my fund is domestic.

I want to get to 75 to 100MM before I go feeder fund. This has to do with how my prime is marketing me

Why not just launch a master-feeder? I think i recall you're currently a domestic stand alone right?

Depending if you went Cayman, BVI or Euro surely you could attract the capital since non-profits, foreigners and deferred vehicles are deploying capital at a faster rate than US citizens.

Plus the cost scale would be good since your platform wouldn't change much.

Gotcha. In January I looked through some of my client's slide decks based on some information their PBs provided them for capital introduction. To that, I will say there are better resources out there for you than PB Cap Intros.

You going to SALT?

Have the federal government Sponser it. You have to pay for the test but they will act as your Sponser
Can you explain a little? I didn't know you could do this and I can't seem to find any info on federal government sponsorship for the Series 7. 

Really? Where do you suggest I look?

I will be at SALT if I can soft dollar it. I go to so much stuff in the city month in and month out I try not to pay for the stuff out if town.

Gotcha. In January I looked through some of my client's slide decks based on some information their PBs provided them for capital introduction. To that, I will say there are better resources out there for you than PB Cap Intros.

You going to SALT?

Prime's IMO aren't as good for attracting capital because it's like cattle calls. Look how many funds are on your prime's platform.

Goes without saying referals from existing LP's goes the longest, but industry conferences have been successful for some of clients. Endowments, non-profits and pensions want to deploy capital or adjust their weightings to alternatives...the money is out there, they've just been more diligent about track record (typical is 3 year) and their own due dilligence in terms of your service providers, SEC, etc.

OP im a finance and real estate investment major, what are some good careers to look into?

are you looking to purchase bulk rental properties in order to put them in a package and sell them as a certain cap rate?

if so what is the returns most of your investors are looking for in a package deal.  say 5-10 homes

Depends the credit quality of the loans, what state and which bank originated the loans considering if there is still a mortgage on the properties.

Answer those questions and I can give you a better answer

are you looking to purchase bulk rental properties in order to put them in a package and sell them as a certain cap rate?
if so what is the returns most of your investors are looking for in a package deal.  say 5-10 homes

What sector is most of your fund in?

And I know new York is the finance capital ... but is there anyway that a successful fund can be started ion other parts of the country? Dallas Houston Atlanta Los Angeles Seattle San Francisco....

My fund is event driven; I do not invest based on sectors only financials and chart analysis.

You can open a fund in other states, NYC and CT just have better structures to charge performance fees. In some states you must be registered as an investment advisor (I do not know which ones)

And I know new York is the finance capital ... but is there anyway that a successful fund can be started ion other parts of the country? Dallas Houston Atlanta Los Angeles Seattle San Francisco....

OP What is your take on the management consulting industry, insurance, real estate?(how hard is it to break in, salary, job satisfaction etc..)

Also not tryna d ride but you seem really knowledgeable in finance, what would you suggest to someone who is tryna expand their knowledge in finance area??(reading material, etc...)

Dallas and San Francisco have a fair concentration of hedge funds.

Obvioulsy the disadvantage to this is the market hours for the west coast. My clients often arrive to the office around 4am.

Satisfaction only comes from doing what you love. As for the fields you mentioned the most lucrative will be real estate in the coming decade. Insurance is a tough business right now due to the issues with Lloyd's of London.

Depends what subject you want to cover. If u want a general knowledge just get finance for dummies. Breaks stuff down easy

OP What is your take on the management consulting industry, insurance, real estate?(how hard is it to break in, salary, job satisfaction etc..)
Also not tryna d ride but you seem really knowledgeable in finance, what would you suggest to someone who is tryna expand their knowledge in finance area??(reading material, etc...)

I can technically start a hedge fund with 1k.  That's not what people think of as a Hedge fund though. 

Are people who have money in savings accounts technically investors? Yes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom