ASK AN ENGLISH GUY......Vol. Earl Grey, milk, 2 sugars

Are you familiar with the gangsters of England?

Do they really hand out Chelsea grins out there?

Do the ManU fans actually like their club?

Will I be able to purchase a pack of Newport cigarettes in England?

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

How does it feel to know that the only reason England survived WWII was because of the United States?

indifferent.gif
Seriously?

Europe is certainly grateful for the help during WW2 - but the US sent an army - Europe gave a generation. There are still parts of mainland Europe that are a mess because of the devastation caused by fighting for 6 years.

You know, people were making jokes about the teeth of Brits earlier - and it was true a few years ago. There's a reason for that though - the UK paid for a large part of the entire cost of WW2 - and supplied a huge army (relative to its size) and then had to keep paying to rebuild their own country - food was rationed in the UK until 1954 and money was tight for a long time - while huge loans to the US (lend-lease) amongst others were repaid. That meant that a few things like dental care and luxuries were scarce for a long time.

So, thanks for the help - but try and put it into a little perspective next time. It wasn't the magnanimous gesture you think it was.
not to mention the fact that the US wasnt doing @#$% to help at first and finally jumped in after we got attacked

These typical arrogant US views towards everything is exactly why everyone hates us
grin.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

How does it feel to know that the only reason England survived WWII was because of the United States?

indifferent.gif
Seriously?

Europe is certainly grateful for the help during WW2 - but the US sent an army - Europe gave a generation. There are still parts of mainland Europe that are a mess because of the devastation caused by fighting for 6 years.

You know, people were making jokes about the teeth of Brits earlier - and it was true a few years ago. There's a reason for that though - the UK paid for a large part of the entire cost of WW2 - and supplied a huge army (relative to its size) and then had to keep paying to rebuild their own country - food was rationed in the UK until 1954 and money was tight for a long time - while huge loans to the US (lend-lease) amongst others were repaid. That meant that a few things like dental care and luxuries were scarce for a long time.

So, thanks for the help - but try and put it into a little perspective next time. It wasn't the magnanimous gesture you think it was.
not to mention the fact that the US wasnt doing @#$% to help at first and finally jumped in after we got attacked

These typical arrogant US views towards everything is exactly why everyone hates us
grin.gif

The US attempted to remain neutral.

Are you idiots really gonna argue WWII?
indifferent.gif

no @#$% the US attempted to remain neutral, im very aware of the neutrality acts. does that mean that was the right thing though? hell FDR even wanted to revise the neutrality laws so we could provide assistance but didnt get the needed vote. And I know we still provided aid before actually fighting but we shouldve been out to help directly much earlier

When I was in London, following September 11th, everyone had an opinion, specifically regarding Bush. Why are Englishmen (in my experience) so concerned with America's misdeeds when your own nation is hands down the worst violator of human rights in world history?

How does it feel to have invented the sport of soccer/football, yet been slogged down in decades of  failure?

British chicks love Ny guys
pimp.gif
had a fling last summer with the cutest one. yes they likie black guys

also my girls dad is british and he LOVES CHEESE

I am personally loving this thread.

My girlfriend for over a year actually lives in London (born and bred, currently attends Sussex U)

I totally relate to the questions too. Just visited this past January and enjoyed the scenery of London and Brighton

I'll ask a question my gf hasn't been able to really pinpoint

What exactly is in Brown Sauce? It seems to be everywhere but I don't exactly know what it is

English food can be good, you just havent been exposed to thegood stuff (but its our fault because we settle for the rubbish stuffwhich is everywhere her)

We dont hate the Dutch, we hate THE GERMANS

Howdoes it feel as a US nation for having covertly sponsored elements ofWWII and shamelessly do trade with Nazi Germany during the war in thefirst place?

Err, sorry chap but you seem a little thick...

You hate the Germans...do you realize that you, most likely ARE German? Not big on etymology are you?

England = Angla land, from the Angles tribe in Germany

Anglo-Saxon = Angeln and Saxony, both regions in Germany from where your ancestors most likely came from

I love how the English like to say they made us and the US has no history...are you kidding? You have no history! Germans, French, and Romans made you! Nothing about you or your country is what you perceive as British.

Britain = Brittannia, the name the Romans gave you when they took over, before Ze Germans took over.

Whats funny is you speak a Germanic language, and when the Angles, Jutes, Saxons, etc took over they called people who they considered actually English, Welsh.

Now as far as WW2?

First of all, point blank, EVERY country that was involved was involved for their own benefit and no other reason. No country fought another out of the goodness of their heart or some ideals, anyone who thinks that can get it out of their head right now.

Its true that England was the first to call out Germany in WW2. Churchill offered full military and economic support to any country that joined them against the Nazi's, and Greece was the only one who signed up. Churchill sent Greece food that should have rightfully gone to the UK but Churchill wanted to honour his agreement. Neville was largely spineless and let the situation deteriorate like it did, ie waiting till Germany was fully rearmed before going into a position for Germany to call his Bluff on sanctions or actions. England however didn't really care about what the Nazis stood for from an ideological standpoint, they just didn't want their position of power threatened. This is just Nederlands, France, or Spain Vs England type of scenario from history all over again. You as a top aristocrat just want to preserve your way of life, and sell the idea of war to youngsters through ideology you don't believe yourself. So in short, England didn't fight Germany for any reason other than seeing that Germany was a threat to English aristocracy.

Now, its true the US involvement in the war was based on the same rules of the game, but you gotta be kidding if you think the US didn't make sacrifices to fund the European war effort. Roosevelt basically bankrupt the country in order to pay for lend-lease among other things. People (ie factory workers making stuff for europe, and farmers making food for europe) were paid with mickey mouse money basically, which they all gave back to the government by buying war bonds. Roosevelt ordered the surrender of all private gold for 10/oz then repriced it at 20/oz for strategic buying of materials more-so for europe than anywhere else because the dollar was just paper. Deficits were at record proportions. Sure they might have been loans to the UK, etc., but the US got the money to loan by borrowing from American citizens, and stealing their gold. Its the same reason D-day happened, the US didn't want the soviets to control Europe (they wanted their loans repaid), plus they wanted Nazi gold, and scored billions and billions of it, plus operation paperclip yielded talent that put the american rockets in space (von braun+others). The US paid for victory in Gold, the Soviet union paid in Blood. UK's most important contribution was the RAF keeping the Luftwaffe busy until 1942/43.

The only country that should be ashed for trading with the Nazis is Switzerland.

Now, about the teeth, its really just a stereotype. The US is the only country that's as crazy about braces as it is. The teeth situation is the same everywhere except the US, really. If anybody should have got the stereotype its probably Japan, but that's here nor there.

Anyway, I love everybody, so all the best.

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

English food can be good, you just havent been exposed to thegood stuff (but its our fault because we settle for the rubbish stuffwhich is everywhere her)

We dont hate the Dutch, we hate THE GERMANS

Howdoes it feel as a US nation for having covertly sponsored elements ofWWII and shamelessly do trade with Nazi Germany during the war in thefirst place?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Dang. Well my only question is, how hard is it to attain citizenship out there in the U.K.? I wouldn't mind an alternative place to live at in the future especially with hot and intelligent girls equipped with 'Brit accents.' 
pimp.gif

I guess i'm still just confused at the thought of a "California" accent.

If anything, we speak the language the clearest of any region in the states. No drawl, no over-emphasis on letters in the words, nothing like that.

Meh...

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

If anything, we speak the language the clearest of any region in the states. No drawl, no over-emphasis on letters in the words, nothing like that.

Meh...
they probably think a "California" accent is like how surfers talk

Originally Posted by the north west

Meh...
they probably think a "California" accent is like how surfers talk

laugh.gif
word

The first time I read it all I could think of was...

spicoli.jpg

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Dang. Well my only question is, how hard is it to attain citizenship out there in the U.K.? I wouldn't mind an alternative place to live at in the future especially with hot and intelligent girls equipped with 'Brit accents.' 
pimp.gif

nerd.gif

Dunno any gangsters myself, but have been aware and close to scenes of pretty grimy events

'Chelsea smiles' are part folklore but really used to happen many moons ago

Man Utd = 90% fake plastic fans

Newports arent anywhere unless its an import store, we all smoke Benson & Hedges or Silk Cut

Not witnessed the infamous 'Dentist Chair' in a pub (its pretty much not allowed here), but have been privvy to it in Thailand

MARTIN & CO - nice try to appear smart but...

1. We hate the Germans for reasons other than your high school history essay, a lot of it is actually cultural annoyance & football (soccer) related
2. Look up Fanta and IBM in relation to WW2 as brief examples

Toodle-pip you wanker
laugh.gif

Meh...
laugh.gif

It always amuses me when people think they don't have an accent. Like there is some perfect way of speaking that is perfectly correct - they're usually the ones with the most ludicrous pronunciation.

Hey there mate.

Do you have any idea how such a small country has pumped out so many ace bands?!

For pop yall give us : Morrissey/The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure, David Bowie, Joy Division .
eek.gif

In Rock : The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Radio Head,Black Sabbath
eek.gif

And in metal :Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin,etc..
eek.gif

I know I'm missing a few. But mate. This list of bands is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

where's the best place to get fish and chips?

The answer is not in England - but in Anstruther, Scotland - about an hour from Edinburgh and not far from St Andrews. They woe the prize last year for the best in the UK - and are a regular finalist.

If you don't want to go that far the guy who used to own that place has opened a new one in Edinburgh - called the Tailend - it's very good and a little nicer inside than the Anstruther Fish bar - but about the same price.

Don't even look at a menu - you want a Haddock supper in batter - it comes with bread and butter and tea/coffee or a soft drink. Fantastic.

anstruther-fish-bar.jpg

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

Dunno any gangsters myself, but have been aware and close to scenes of pretty grimy events

'Chelsea smiles' are part folklore but really used to happen many moons ago

Man Utd = 90% fake plastic fans

Newports arent anywhere unless its an import store, we all smoke Benson & Hedges or Silk Cut

Not witnessed the infamous 'Dentist Chair' in a pub (its pretty much not allowed here), but have been privvy to it in Thailand

MARTIN & CO - nice try to appear smart but...

1. We hate the Germans for reasons other than your high school history essay, a lot of it is actually cultural annoyance & football (soccer) related
2. Look up Fanta and IBM in relation to WW2 as brief examples

Toodle-pip you wanker
laugh.gif

smh.gif
You ever tried Newports, mate?
pimp.gif

How's the chronic out there?

Also, let's say it's a weekend and you're looking to go out? What's there to do? How's the club/ night life like?

And about football, I've been playing for quite a while now and currently play for my school, if I head out to the motherland, what are the chances I can join a half %#!! club and maybe make some money?

nice...my parents went to the UK a few years ago... hit off Scotland for a day... I bet I could make the same trip. I'm always down for excellent food
just gotta wait until the dollar comes back up

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

nice...my parents went to the UK a few years ago... hit off Scotland for a day... I bet I could make the same trip. I'm always down for excellent food
just gotta wait until the dollar comes back up

And wait we shall.

You'll be about their age when you can finally do it, assuming the U.S. recovers.

the pound has always been stronger than the dollar....but I can wait until at least the dollar is almost back on par with the Euro.

Back
Top Bottom