AT&T Bill Help

Can someone help me with my latest bill from AT&T?

Got a family plan with 4 iphones, but my mom's iphone didn't have a data plan, because she never used it. We did not buy that phone with the $200 contract agreement (it's a 3G that we gave her after one of us upgraded). She's been using it for over a year now and we've had no problems, but the latest bill added $30something, because they added a data plan out of nowhere. I called them and they said that all iphones MUST have a data plan, and their network recently saw that she didn't have one so they added it. I tried to get them to take it off, but to no avail. Can someone that works at/for AT&T give me some more insight? Is there a way to revert back to my old plan or do I just have to start paying for a data plan that she will never use? Thanks.

Just out of curiosity....if you don't have a data plan on an iphone and you click safari....you pay per KB of data or MB or something?

Just pick her up a free phone that doesn't "need" a data plan.  Why does she need an iphone if she never uses data.  Just tell her sorry and switch phones

she basically uses it for the music, videos, and camera. she also uses the internet and stuff on wifi when she's at home. i know there's other phones that can do all that, but from what the AT&T rep told me, it's not just an iphone data package...it's for all smart phones. plus, she's not that good with technology and i answered a million questions teaching her how to use that phone when she first got it so i'll be damned if she can't use it now. i mean i'll pay the data plan if i have to, but i just think it's some bs that they can just change it out of nowhere and i don't find out until the bill comes.

Iphones need a data plan. And someone prolly saw that she had an iphone without one and swooped through for that commission!

I've gotten around this before like 2 - 3 years ago but they're probably more strict these days. Call them up (or IM them online) and give them an IMEI number for a regular phone that doesnt need a data plan (if its a 2nd generation iphone and up make sure the phone has 3g ) . Put the sim in the phone for extra measure. They'll change the device in the system and can take off the data plan, probably give you a test call or something. Hangup, give it a minute and put the sim back in the iphone.

Although one time I tried to do this with a an iphone and a go phone plan and it didnt work. Although it has definitely worked with non iphone smart phones.

But like I said ATT probably keeps a closer eye on this thing now a days then before

Oh damn i never thought about it that way.

I had the same issue it's funny.  I have a family plan mom, step dad, sister and me.  My sister pays me so does step dad and i cover me and my mom.  She wanted an iphone so bad and i told her she would never use it right so no.  Then she went and used her upgrade on one and it just showed up on the bill and i was like
mad.gif

Needless to say i took the L and just pay for her data plan now.  But she figured out how to use GPS on it now...so even if i could get it with no data she prob would kill me.

Id actually like to know this only because that seems perfect for a kid.  Like you have a cell phone that does everything you need and with wifi every where these days you could get buy without a data plan.  Seems like a bit of a scam by AT&T thinking people could some how get data without paying them for it.

Originally Posted by tecca nena

Iphones need a data plan. And someone prolly saw that she had an iphone without one and swooped through for that commission!

I've gotten around this before like 2 - 3 years ago but they're probably more strict these days. Call them up (or IM them online) and give them an IMEI number for a regular phone that doesnt need a data plan (if its a 2nd generation iphone and up make sure the phone has 3g ) . Put the sim in the phone for extra measure. They'll change the device in the system and can take off the data plan, probably give you a test call or something. Hangup, give it a minute and put the sim back in the iphone.

Although one time I tried to do this with a an iphone and a go phone plan and it didnt work. Although it has definitely worked with non iphone smart phones.

But like I said ATT probably keeps a closer eye on this thing now a days then before

If she switches back to the iPhone the system will pick the iPhone IMEI and add the data plan right back on.    AT&T is definitely on it these days.

Had the same thing happen to my Dad OP. He has had a Blackberry for over a year now and I bought the phone off Craigslist for him. Then AT&T added the data plan out of no where.

With AT&T new data plans, you can change your Mom's plan to the $15/200mb (i think) instead of the $25/2gb plan.

All smartphones require a data plan. The POS will recognize what phone you have. You can always get the 300mb for $20 but it's not worth it because if you go over your paying another $20 for 300mb.

i think you should try to fight it as much as you can when you first got the phone for her in her end of the contract did it say she had to have a data plan or is it something new ? if she never had one to begin with when the plan was generated then argue that fact that,that wasn't what you signed on for and that they could potentially lose a customer over that and see what they say maybe that will get you what you want

imo you have the right to get out of that

you gifted this phone to her correct and she never got it from them?

its like when people buy an unlocked phone and use it on any network they can't go adding plans to your account

yeah she originally had some cruddy lg slider phone. once we all upgraded from our previous iphones, we gave her one of the old ones. we specifically told them that we wanted to have the iphone and not have the data plan and they said ok which is why i wanted to know how they can all of a sudden add it over a year later. i had called customer service, but they said all smart phones MUST have a package and wouldn't give me an answer as to why i was able to have it before, but can't anymore.

they had originally given her the $30 data package, but said the lowest one they have is for $20. since she literally uses no data (except for when she's on facebook or checking her email while at home) i figured it wouldn't make sense to pay $30 when i can just pay $20. they also said they would credit my account $100 to basically give me 5 months of data free for her since it's $20 a month, but i still feel like i'm getting jerked around.

if you're going to use an iPhone, you will have a data plan whether it gets used or not.

if you do not want a data plan do not use a smartphone.

Originally Posted by Space DooDoo Pistols

if you're going to use an iPhone, you will have a data plan whether it gets used or not.

if you do not want a data plan do not use a smartphone.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom