At what point in his career did Jay-Z start being mentioned as one of the GREATs?

Originally Posted by tyisny

? if Jay-Z is an overated lyricist then who exactly is a great one. Because lyrically i cant even name 5 cats who can do what he does. and im not just talking content, but multis, bar structure, story telling he has it ALL. The fact that i can listen to a jay track from ten yrs ago and find something new speaks to how great of a lyricist he is

eyes.gif

? if Jay-Z is an overated lyricist then who exactly is a great one. Because lyrically i cant even name 5 cats who can do what he does. and im not just talking content, but multis, bar structure, story telling he has it ALL. The fact that i can listen to a jay track from ten yrs ago and find something new speaks to how great of a lyricist he is

eyes.gif

Don't get the word "overrated" mixed up with the word "bad"....Jay is Nice, Very nice in some instances.... But I've heard garbage verses from this man, But since he's the almighty "HOV", N's just accept it and rock with it anyway...

Example, His verse off "MONSTER"....If he was replaced with a rapper like Tony Yayo and he spit that EXACT same verse... Yall would call that !@%+ garbage.... but since its Jay, he gets the "wow!!!" face........That verse was mediocre as hell

Now a Rapper like Lupe, someone who's damn near flawless with his lyrics, cant get put in that "GOAT" category because his catalog aint strong enough yet....

Don't get the word "overrated" mixed up with the word "bad"....Jay is Nice, Very nice in some instances.... But I've heard garbage verses from this man, But since he's the almighty "HOV", N's just accept it and rock with it anyway...

Example, His verse off "MONSTER"....If he was replaced with a rapper like Tony Yayo and he spit that EXACT same verse... Yall would call that !@%+ garbage.... but since its Jay, he gets the "wow!!!" face........That verse was mediocre as hell

Now a Rapper like Lupe, someone who's damn near flawless with his lyrics, cant get put in that "GOAT" category because his catalog aint strong enough yet....

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

I wouldn't say all that but I get what you're saying. He has some mediocre verses....but many more good-great verses than not. Plus he's never really been or claimed to be a rapper who lives off his lyrics(like a Lupe). At least not since Vol 1. As mentioned he's found the perfect balance of being vanilla enough for mainstream while at the same time being witty enough for purists to have to rewind. He gives you everything you can ask for from a hip hop artist. That's why you have so many on his team, so many haters, and ultimately so much success.

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

I wouldn't say all that but I get what you're saying. He has some mediocre verses....but many more good-great verses than not. Plus he's never really been or claimed to be a rapper who lives off his lyrics(like a Lupe). At least not since Vol 1. As mentioned he's found the perfect balance of being vanilla enough for mainstream while at the same time being witty enough for purists to have to rewind. He gives you everything you can ask for from a hip hop artist. That's why you have so many on his team, so many haters, and ultimately so much success.

of course he had bad verses but everybody does... but when you put a ratio on wack verses compared to classic verses it aint even close and he's been doing this for 15 yrs straight

of course he had bad verses but everybody does... but when you put a ratio on wack verses compared to classic verses it aint even close and he's been doing this for 15 yrs straight

No....Not everybody....Now im not musically comparing the 2, but I've never heard a weak verse from Lupe...Im just saying....
grin.gif

This _ hov is so cocky, sometimes I think he thinks he can spit anything and people will rock with it...
laugh.gif

Like that Best of both worlds album he did with R.Kelly,  70% of those verses were doodoo

No....Not everybody....Now im not musically comparing the 2, but I've never heard a weak verse from Lupe...Im just saying....
grin.gif

This _ hov is so cocky, sometimes I think he thinks he can spit anything and people will rock with it...
laugh.gif

Like that Best of both worlds album he did with R.Kelly,  70% of those verses were doodoo

All Im saying is the man is an Overrated lyricist... He's not garbage by any standard. The name "Jay-Z" helps him get by with some mediocre verses...

The Blueprint was his only flawless album he put out IMO...I could listen to it from front to back w/o skipping a song.... Production was outstanding and his lyrics were top notch to say the least....

Ill leave it at that....

All Im saying is the man is an Overrated lyricist... He's not garbage by any standard. The name "Jay-Z" helps him get by with some mediocre verses...

The Blueprint was his only flawless album he put out IMO...I could listen to it from front to back w/o skipping a song.... Production was outstanding and his lyrics were top notch to say the least....

Ill leave it at that....

"Now im not musically comparing the 2, but I've never heard a weak verse from Lupe...Im just saying...."

Come back when Lupe can make another record besides Superstar that can actually appeal to the vast world of music listeners that exist outside of NT's little cave.I'm saying this as a Lupe fan. But when will posters here understand that uber-complex, hard-to-understand lyrics are NOT EVERYTHING to making great records? Not everyone wants to listen to that. Heck, not even the majority of the general music population and media wants to listen to that.

"Now im not musically comparing the 2, but I've never heard a weak verse from Lupe...Im just saying...."

Come back when Lupe can make another record besides Superstar that can actually appeal to the vast world of music listeners that exist outside of NT's little cave.I'm saying this as a Lupe fan. But when will posters here understand that uber-complex, hard-to-understand lyrics are NOT EVERYTHING to making great records? Not everyone wants to listen to that. Heck, not even the majority of the general music population and media wants to listen to that.

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Come back when Lupe can make another record besides Superstar that can actually appeal to the vast world of music listeners live exist outside of NT's little cave.

See, You're comparing them musically... Im comparing them Lyrically....You cant compare their catalogs because Hov's been doing this since the Mid 90's and the game is SO different...

...Have you heard a weak verse from Lupe?....If so, Post the Youtube video....

....ill wait....

Come back when Lupe can make another record besides Superstar that can actually appeal to the vast world of music listeners live exist outside of NT's little cave.

See, You're comparing them musically... Im comparing them Lyrically....You cant compare their catalogs because Hov's been doing this since the Mid 90's and the game is SO different...

...Have you heard a weak verse from Lupe?....If so, Post the Youtube video....

....ill wait....

"See, You're comparing them musically... Im comparing them Lyrically...."

So am I.

The point still stands. "More Complex" =/= "better", which is what you're impying here.

So am I.

The point still stands. "More Complex" =/= "better", which is what you're impying here.

You edited twice, so I didn't catch the last portion...

Yeah, everyone doesn't want to listen to complex #*%$....but thats why I like Lupe...He "does him"....Which is why he's bumping heads with his label now....

Hov, is a trend follower... EXAMPLE: Drake was hot when BP3 dropped, so what does hov do?.... He throws him on a hook, He didn't even let son get a Verse .... Did Drake really need to be on that song????
laugh.gif

You edited twice, so I didn't catch the last portion...

Yeah, everyone doesn't want to listen to complex #*%$....but thats why I like Lupe...He "does him"....Which is why he's bumping heads with his label now....

Hov, is a trend follower... EXAMPLE: Drake was hot when BP3 dropped, so what does hov do?.... He throws him on a hook, He didn't even let son get a Verse .... Did Drake really need to be on that song????
laugh.gif

So am I.

...I just said "HOV IS OVERRATED" and "I'VE NEVER HEARD A WEAK VERSE FROM LUPE"

Now go find a weak verse from him and shut me up.....
laugh.gif

So am I.

...I just said "HOV IS OVERRATED" and "I'VE NEVER HEARD A WEAK VERSE FROM LUPE"

Now go find a weak verse from him and shut me up.....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

A lot of people only started calling him one of the greats after he started saying it himself
It's what separates him from everyone else in that category.

I know was Nas after he dropped illmatic
He was actually being called one of the greatest before Illmatic dropped.  After it did, it only cemented him there.

Back
Top Bottom