At what point in his career did Jay-Z start being mentioned as one of the GREATs?

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

A lot of people only started calling him one of the greats after he started saying it himself
It's what separates him from everyone else in that category.

I know was Nas after he dropped illmatic
He was actually being called one of the greatest before Illmatic dropped.  After it did, it only cemented him there.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

As far as one of the greats it was after Vol.2 dropped.

This. The buzz he had before vol. 2 dropped was incredible. Dude was lightin up the radio wit street joints. Ppl overlook vol. 2, but if you put it in its proper context as far as time is concerned, that album was incredible

Originally Posted by Deuce King

As far as one of the greats it was after Vol.2 dropped.

This. The buzz he had before vol. 2 dropped was incredible. Dude was lightin up the radio wit street joints. Ppl overlook vol. 2, but if you put it in its proper context as far as time is concerned, that album was incredible

Originally Posted by tyisny

of course he had bad verses but everybody does... but when you put a ratio on wack verses compared to classic verses it aint even close and he's been doing this for 15 yrs straight

Exactly. I dont even argue with people no more about Jay especially when they say crazy stuff like he overrated.   

Originally Posted by tyisny

of course he had bad verses but everybody does... but when you put a ratio on wack verses compared to classic verses it aint even close and he's been doing this for 15 yrs straight

Exactly. I dont even argue with people no more about Jay especially when they say crazy stuff like he overrated.   

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

This topic should be of interest to you: http://niketalk.com/topic/273825

By the way, did you just call Jay a trend FOLLOWER??? Aye.

And for starters, I've NEVER been impressed Lupe's verse on Touch the Sky. But then again, "weak" is subjective here.

Yeah, Hov hops on whats Hot... and claims he's too grown for this and that... its what he does....
grin.gif

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

This topic should be of interest to you: http://niketalk.com/topic/273825

By the way, did you just call Jay a trend FOLLOWER??? Aye.

And for starters, I've NEVER been impressed Lupe's verse on Touch the Sky. But then again, "weak" is subjective here.

Yeah, Hov hops on whats Hot... and claims he's too grown for this and that... its what he does....
grin.gif

If you say so.

But it strays from the topic. The point is that Jay isn't overrated lyrically - rank him as you please, but objectively speaking (and backed even by those who don't listen to rap but know the English language and its literary devices) Jay is up there. Plus he has been doing it catering to as many audiences as possible; to those who enjoy "complex" lyrics and those who just want to party at the club. Keep this in mind.

If you say so.

But it strays from the topic. The point is that Jay isn't overrated lyrically - rank him as you please, but objectively speaking (and backed even by those who don't listen to rap but know the English language and its literary devices) Jay is up there. Plus he has been doing it catering to as many audiences as possible; to those who enjoy "complex" lyrics and those who just want to party at the club. Keep this in mind.

Man Hov got off on 'Monster'.....
But his verse on Ushers Hot Toddie was weak, just like the entire song and beat...

Man Hov got off on 'Monster'.....
But his verse on Ushers Hot Toddie was weak, just like the entire song and beat...

The word overrated is horrible. If someone is pretty much a top 10 mark. Than someone saying he's number 1 isn't unreasonable

The word overrated is horrible. If someone is pretty much a top 10 mark. Than someone saying he's number 1 isn't unreasonable

"he smiled even tho his eyes said "pray for me", I'll do you one better and slay these *$#%@# faithfully. Murder is a tough thing to digest, its a slow process, and i aint got nothin but time..."

name someone who said somethin realer?

best rapper ever

"he smiled even tho his eyes said "pray for me", I'll do you one better and slay these *$#%@# faithfully. Murder is a tough thing to digest, its a slow process, and i aint got nothin but time..."

name someone who said somethin realer?

best rapper ever

Back
Top Bottom