Bachelor Pad.

This sucks. I wanna put furniture in my APT, but I have a cat that LOVES to scratch things. I tried to train him not to, but he's alone for 12 hours of the day. How do I get him to stop scratching the furniture without de-clawing him?

eek.gif
DOPE spot, Mez.

i'm not sure if you already said, but how much is rent (if you don't mind me asking)? that view is amazing. congrats.

Sick spot Mez. The skyline view and rooftop are money.

I just moved into a loft with a few roommates in downtown Manhattan. Our place looks nothing like yours, but is still manageable. We have a really big living area, but the bedrooms are shacks. I can fit a queen size bed, dresser, and nightstand into my place but it's a squeeze. I hardly have room for my kicks and I left like 20 to 30 pairs at home.
laugh.gif
. I'll try and snap some pics when I can.

Mez, tell me you're getting that place!!

Dear lord, it's amazing! Shower could be nicer (completely tiled) but I'm being picky
laugh.gif
and that rooftop area.... Man. I haz jealousy.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

i'm not sure if you already said, but how much is rent (if you don't mind me asking)? that view is amazing. congrats.
Thanks, and the apartments in that building are 3K per month (yes, its a joke just saying that), but since I know all parties involved I am getting a pretty good deal on it, and plus I won't be living alone so the cost will drop even more.
Originally Posted by jomitm

What do you do Mez?

Place is awesome and that view is perfect. Congrats dude.
Social worker/city employee, and I help run a maintenance company on the side.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Man, cant even hate 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

If i recall correctly, you said open crib sometime when the nba season starts 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
YES ! 

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Sick spot Mez. The skyline view and rooftop are money. 

I just moved into a loft with a few roommates in downtown Manhattan. Our place looks nothing like yours, but is still manageable. We have a really big living area, but the bedrooms are shacks. I can fit a queen size bed, dresser, and nightstand into my place but it's a squeeze. I hardly have room for my kicks and I left like 20 to 30 pairs at home. 
laugh.gif
. I'll try and snap some pics when I can.
My friend lives in a spot like that in BK, large open area but the bedrooms were pretty much compact bunkbeds
laugh.gif
  you sould post.

As for the apt, hope to sign within the next few days, I like the burgundy paint in the hallway/kitchen area, but the living room area needs to be changed. Some things:

- a nice white sofa similar to what 4wrestling has would be nice but I'm thinking a light blue wall color with coffee colored couch? I SHOULD be avoiding white furniture since the kitchen is all white right? (I also do not want black furniture since my electronics are all black).

- I would like to add an island for the kitchen but then I won't have room for a small 4-seater dining table (still debating the color)

- Need to figure out where I will put my computer desk/music studio area.....either along the wall opposite of the kitchen side? seperating the living room/kitchen area? Etc

ANY ADVICE is appreciated.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Congrats Mez.
My first suggestion...  adopt a cat 
glasses.gif
Ha, I have my small Shih Tzu
laugh.gif

Def not a "manly" dog but I can't have anything larger at the moment, plus he's tough.

Thought about painting the burgundy walls all the way down (entrance, kitchen, and living room) to either a lighter maroon or a burnt orange (and the wall across above the kitchen cabinets the same color since it is white).....and the wall with the windows a light beige (and paint the wall with the ladder light beige too). 

- I have a beige couch for now which I would like to replace with a soft grey love seat, should blend with the colors right?

- Dining room table should be dark chocolate wood or glass (to give the space a more open feel)?

- Biggest issue: computer desk, i want a larger desk to have my two monitor setup (esp for work x music), not sure where to place it though

Originally Posted by SoLeCiTy

Damn Mez.. I aint even madd at that manhattan? double sinks? yea couple million

Judging from the view, I'm pretty sure that spot is not in Manhattan but in Brooklyn.

Mez's place is awesome. I want something like that once I finish up school. I'm not terribly comfortable with the ladder to the bed because I come home drunk a lot, but that rooftop view of the best city on the planet is
eek.gif
. Even the nicest rooftops here are still overlooking... well... here.

Finally moved into my cribe...........
happy.gif
sorry for the bad cell phone pics

trying to find a stud was a **%@$ i think im gonna get it professionally done next time
laugh.gif

finally got it up..........sony hx 820 tv i was still cleaning the wires up (yes i know i still need to hide the wires so save it)

couches

the lamps
pimp.gif

the blus, dvd's and games

closet

kicks (gonna do a collection post one day)

bedroom tv sony xbr9 hook to my sony google tv blu ray player i love it to death
pimp.gif

still gotta get some art pieces over my couches, wire covers (which i need help finding) and dinner table and two more bookshelf speakers

Seeing some of those pics makes me wish I had an actual bedroom
laugh.gif

May end up just futon sofa

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

- I would like to add an island for the kitchen but then I won't have room for a small 4-seater dining table (still debating the color)

What about getting an island with stools?  Then it can double as an island and dining table.  Granted, it's not a traditional dining table, but it would make effective use of the space.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

As for the apt, hope to sign within the next few days, I like the burgundy paint in the hallway/kitchen area, but the living room area needs to be changed. Some things:

- a nice white sofa similar to what 4wrestling has would be nice but I'm thinking a light blue wall color with coffee colored couch? I SHOULD be avoiding white furniture since the kitchen is all white right? (I also do not want black furniture since my electronics are all black).

- Need to figure out where I will put my computer desk/music studio area.....either along the wall opposite of the kitchen side? seperating the living room/kitchen area? Etc

That's a really nice place man
pimp.gif

Here's my opinion:

Paint the walls of the living area (where the 2 windows are) the same color as the kitchen (looks orange from here).

For the sofa, I'd get a lime green one. I was originally going to say orange but then I saw the walls were orange. In my opinion, the bright colors will look good next to the white walls of the kitchen.

I'd put the TV and computer on the right wall (facing the windows) of the living room.

I like more contemporary and modern homes so that's what I was going for with the suggestions.

What are the rules on renting over in the States? Do the landlords allow you to paint/redecorate as you please? Or do you need their permission?

Here it's leaning toward the don't touch it/permission would be hard to come by situation. It's just not done.

i've been lurking in this thread for a while now... so it's only right i finally contribute.  i bought a 1200 sq ft, 2 bedroom condo that i'm completely remodeling.  i mean everything... every door, hinge, light switch, counter tops, sinks, toilets, vanitites, light, you name it.  doing it all myself and it's been a pain the %!@... the place was in great shape, just needed to be updated.  i still laugh about how terrible this place looked when i check the before pics... wall paper and brass everywhere.  it was awful, i'll post some before and after pics later.  but here's the couch i just bought:

2j2jfpk.jpg

I found it online at Haverty's ($2200) and went to the showroom to check it out and get some measurements... they didn't have it in stock.  lady said she'd see if they could have one sent to their store and i could peep it.  a few weeks later she calls me and tells me that they have it... i go check it out, it measure's perfect for my spot, i love it, just not for $2200.  she calls me a couple days later, they marked it down to $1800... i was still debating.  i had been looking all over town, online, etc... and still hadn't found anything i liked better and just said "*!%* it, i'ma go get it.  i'm on my way to the store to buy it, she calls me again... they marked it down to $1300 and i got the last one store-wide.
pimp.gif

The deal for that couch is
pimp.gif
, wildcat.

Loving this thread...
What are the rules on renting over in the States? Do the landlords allow you to paint/redecorate as you please? Or do you need their permission?
It really depends.  The last two (only 2) landlords I've had I was really cool w/ , so they encouraged me to do whatever the hell I wanted w/ the place. 

I'm still a student, so I'm not doing anything too crazy.  Currently painting all the cabinets in the kitchen.

EDIT: Mez's spot/view...
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Congrats, sir.

This is what I'm working hard for:

2zrpzww.jpg

Hopefully in 10-15 years or so.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Man I love this thread - just moved in in my new ap last month and will be checking back on it - need ideas for a my bedroom (the apartment is on the rooftop so I have the ceilings gradually descending in my bedroom). I wonder what I can make out of it as it looks cool now but want it to look unique over time.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Here it's leaning toward the don't touch it/permission would be hard to come by situation. It's just not done.

It's really a case to case basis, but most will allow you to do as you please as long as you are doing it in a tasteful manner.  If you plan on smashing holes in the wall, they probably aren't going to let you.

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

The deal for that couch is
pimp.gif
, wildcat.
pimp.gif

my fireplace was terrible... face was off-set, exhaust didn't work, and the previous owners sprayed foam insulation around it.
sick.gif

i bought an electric insert for about $350, hard-wired it to the exhaust switch, and tiled around it.  don't mind the carpet, it's coming up...

Back
Top Bottom