Bachelor Pad.

Hey Guys- I'm loving this thread. Closing on a remodeled, 3 br, 3ba, 3 level 1600 sq ft townhome in about 3 weeks and can't wait. I plan on slowly turning it into a smart home and putting my touch on it. Here are some pics of the place when it was staged.

GetMedia-1.jpg GetMedia.jpeg GetMedia copy.jpg View attachment 2419528 GetMedia (2).jpeg GetMedia (1).jpeg

These pics are in the basement and I could use some help. Not sure of the best place to put a TV/couch down here. The layout is a little tight with the wet bar. Any ideas?

GetMedia (4).jpeg GetMedia (3).jpeg GetMedia-2 copy.jpg MDPG505058_14_6.jpg

Looks nice man. What smart devices do you plan on installing?

Looks nice man. What smart devices do you plan on installing?

I'm just starting to research everything so not sure of whether Alexa, Google or Homekit (I know) would be the best route for me. The home already has a Next. I def want to start with adding smart locks to the doors and then go with smart lights. From there exterior cameras and then maybe smart blinds and a roomba lol. We'll see how it goes.

I'm just starting to research everything so not sure of whether Alexa, Google or Homekit (I know) would be the best route for me. The home already has a Next. I def want to start with adding smart locks to the doors and then go with smart lights. From there exterior cameras and then maybe smart blinds and a roomba lol. We'll see how it goes.

Just take your time and research, because it can get expensive. Personally I’m going the Homekit route.

Just take your time and research, because it can get expensive. Personally I’m going the Homekit route.

Why homekit? I use apple products for everything and would love to stick with it, but it seems as if Google Assistant & Alexa give more options.

How'd you find it? Might be looking for something like that next year.

I went through a realtor I've used in the past, but Realtor.com lets you put in an area and the price ranges you want to search for.

Why homekit? I use apple products for everything and would love to stick with it, but it seems as if Google Assistant & Alexa give more options.

For the same reason you just said.....i use Apple products for everything. I’m already vested in their ecosystem, so I’d rather keep it that way. Also, Apple seems to care a little more about your privacy, so that’s another reason why. It’s true their are fewer options, but I think with the changes they have made/are making to HomeKit, more options will be available in the future, and I’m patient enough to wait.

Last edited:
I WENT HOMEKIT ROUTE. DOOR LOCKS, ALL SHADES IN THE HOUSE, LIGHT SWITCHES, AND OUTLETS ARE ALL CONTROLLED VIA MY HOMEPOD. MY NEST THERMOSTATS, NEST CAMERAS AND ROOMBA ARE NOT SINCE THEY WONT PLAY NICE WITH APPLE :angry:

I use google assistant since I already had google assisted devices before getting into home automation. A few home mini around the house (bedroom, office, kitchen). My soundbar has google assistant built in, so that take cares of the living room. I have a Nest thermostat and Ring Pro (which doesn't work with google; may consider nest doorbell in the future).
I stick with TP-Link/Kasa for my smart switches, plugs and bulbs.

Started moving easy stuff today. I’ll let the movers to the heavy lifting Friday.

Attachments

• F66818EE-2C2D-4E96-B331-AA878D293ED7.jpeg
    F66818EE-2C2D-4E96-B331-AA878D293ED7.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 82
Hey Guys- I'm loving this thread. Closing on a remodeled, 3 br, 3ba, 3 level 1600 sq ft townhome in about 3 weeks and can't wait. I plan on slowly turning it into a smart home and putting my touch on it. Here are some pics of the place when it was staged.

GetMedia-1.jpg GetMedia.jpeg GetMedia copy.jpg View attachment 2419528 GetMedia (2).jpeg GetMedia (1).jpeg

These pics are in the basement and I could use some help. Not sure of the best place to put a TV/couch down here. The layout is a little tight with the wet bar. Any ideas?

GetMedia (4).jpeg GetMedia (3).jpeg GetMedia-2 copy.jpg MDPG505058_14_6.jpg
Have you considered a projector?

or

If you’re brave you could mount a tv on the ceiling by the stairs

That way you can maximize seating

Last edited:
I have the Ring Pro so it just hooked up to my existing doorbell wiring. The door bell rings and so does my original chime.

Have you considered a projector?

or

If you’re brave you could mount a tv on the ceiling by the stairs

That way you can maximize seating

Thanks! I was thinking about a projector but the seating and angles would be terrible. Was considering TV over the sink kind of where the mirror is, but that is iffy. Hadn't thought of a tv from the ceiling though....

Lol I mean what made you choose it over the ATV or iPad for your hub?

I ALSO HAVE MY APPLE TV’S AND IPAD AS HUBS. YOU CAN HAVE THEM ALL BE HUBS AS BACKUPS. BUT VOICE CONTROL WAS THE MAIN REASON. IT CAN HEAR ME NO MATTER WHERE I AM IN THE HOUSE. THE HOMEPOD IS ON THE FIRST FLOOR BUT IT CAN HEAR ME IF IM IN THE BASEMENT AND EVEN WHEN IM ON THE THIRD FLOOR. BEING ABLE TO CONTROL ALL BLINDS, LIGHTS, AND OUTLETS IN THE HOUSE WHILE LAYING IN BED IS GODLY.

memphissfinest memphissfinest can you itemize your whole kit so I can copy and paste it for my home?

4F48B97C-4568-445E-9F68-9B6FA96AD3A9.jpeg

1 x HOMEPOD
2 x APPLE TV 4K
1 x NEST INDOOR CAMERA
2 x NEST THERMOSTAT
3 x KWIKSET OBSIDIAN ELECTRONIC DOOR LOCKS

3451BA85-0E23-44E1-9934-57963DCD9807.jpeg

67DB26C4-477D-4F64-AA5B-418D1A94E22A.jpeg

D8D3B5B8-A796-41C1-ACC7-272CC298B037.jpeg

14 x HUNTER DOUGLAS POWERVIEW SHADES WITH GEN 2 HUB

47DAC6D6-899C-4A97-934B-DFE8DD01B473.jpeg

16 x EVE ELGATO OUTLETS

upload_2019-9-18_19-28-40.jpeg

20 x EVE LIGHT SWITCH

EVERYTHING WORKS WITH APPLE HOMEKIT OUT THE BOX EXCEPT THE NEST CAMERA, NEST THERMOSTAT AND KWIKSET DOOR LOCKS WHICH I CHOSE BASED ON AESTHETICS. I DO HAVE THE NEST PRODUCTS AND DOOR LOCKS CONNECTED TO APPLE HOMEKIT VIA A PROGRAM ON MY IMAC CALLED “HOME ASSISTANT”. IT LETS YOU CONNECT NON-HOMEKIT/ZWAVE PRODUCTS TO HOMEKIT.

Back
Top Bottom