Bape NY closing down.... Vol. This ain't 2004 no more....

Originally Posted by 0cks

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Haha I wish.
I.T, the same company that now owns Bape, is also our Chinese distributor. And although we're steadily growing in HK and China, we aren't nearly on the radar as we are here. Again, American brands, artists, companies, music, even sports and athletes, are not very cool to China.  They would rather buy Japanese brands or look within.  They don't need Twitter, they have Weibo. They don't even need Nike, they have Li-Ning.  And by sheer numbers alone, the Chinese voice dominates. By the time your kids are grown, America will be emulating Chinese culture in more ways than one - JUST because the money and resources are there.
...communist 
eyes.gif

JK, but that kind of depressed the &%!@ outta me
I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough...
IMO chinese culture will stay in China... now spanish though might become our national language
nerd.gif
I disagree. What if we were having this discussion in the '80s and I told you in 2011, we'd all be familiarized and talking about a Japanese brand that became one of the "coolest" in the States?  You'd say "No way, I don't foresee Americans wearing Japanese clothes" right?  What if I told you No Doubt would rise in popularity off of Harajuku themes, or Hollywood would start mimicking famous Korean cinema like Old Boy?  
Chinese culture is already infiltrating. CNN has been talking heavily about Ai Wei Wei over the past month, a very famous Chinese dissident artist.  Again, the money is in China, so the world will follow.

Haha I wish.
I.T, the same company that now owns Bape, is also our Chinese distributor. And although we're steadily growing in HK and China, we aren't nearly on the radar as we are here. Again, American brands, artists, companies, music, even sports and athletes, are not very cool to China.  They would rather buy Japanese brands or look within.  They don't need Twitter, they have Weibo. They don't even need Nike, they have Li-Ning.  And by sheer numbers alone, the Chinese voice dominates. By the time your kids are grown, America will be emulating Chinese culture in more ways than one - JUST because the money and resources are there.
...communist 
eyes.gif

I don't really foresee Americans listening to Chinese pop, watching chinese movies and writing in Mandarin... alot of that stuff doesn't translate well so exporting all that would prove to be very tough...
IMO chinese culture will stay in China... now spanish though might become our national language
nerd.gif
I disagree. What if we were having this discussion in the '80s and I told you in 2011, we'd all be familiarized and talking about a Japanese brand that became one of the "coolest" in the States?  You'd say "No way, I don't foresee Americans wearing Japanese clothes" right?  What if I told you No Doubt would rise in popularity off of Harajuku themes, or Hollywood would start mimicking famous Korean cinema like Old Boy?  
Chinese culture is already infiltrating. CNN has been talking heavily about Ai Wei Wei over the past month, a very famous Chinese dissident artist.  Again, the money is in China, so the world will follow.

...communist 
eyes.gif

nerd.gif

Son I promise you no Black male in a New Orleans project will ever try to emulate Chinese culture.

...communist 
eyes.gif

nerd.gif

Son I promise you no Black male in a New Orleans project will ever try to emulate Chinese culture.

Again, the money is in China, so the world will follow.

This is true but I think certain aspects of culture born from America's uniquely free social landscape will always have global appeal.

And I know you're done talking about it but you should've put L&D on your Complex Streetwear list. They had about as many clones as Bape for a couple of years.

Again, the money is in China, so the world will follow.

This is true but I think certain aspects of culture born from America's uniquely free social landscape will always have global appeal.

And I know you're done talking about it but you should've put L&D on your Complex Streetwear list. They had about as many clones as Bape for a couple of years.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

nerd.gif

Frank Ocean in 'she' video

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

nerd.gif

Frank Ocean in 'she' video

laugh.gif

Word. Frank Ocean already wearing Raiden hats and Chinese shirts.

Plus there was already a heavy Chinese influence on Black culture from the late 60's - early 80's. See those Kung-Fu heavy blaxploitation films all the way up to "The Last Dragon". Don't forget about the Chinese Food stores on every corner in every hood. The food that you take into your body is a big conduit and element of your culture.

laugh.gif

Plus there was already a heavy Chinese influence on Black culture from the late 60's - early 80's. See those Kung-Fu heavy blaxploitation films all the way up to "The Last Dragon". Don't forget about the Chinese Food stores on every corner in every hood. The food that you take into your body is a big conduit and element of your culture.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

laugh.gif

you're acting like thats authentic Chinese cuisine , the people that work there dont even eat those Americanized dishes they sell us

laugh.gif

you're acting like thats authentic Chinese cuisine , the people that work there dont even eat those Americanized dishes they sell us

Originally Posted by FedExciter

laugh.gif

Doesn't matter. Chinese people serve some people in the hood the majority of their meals throughout their lives, that leaves them open to accept other elements of Chinese culture as well. Rice was first domesticated in China and Lo Mein ain't American either. More cats in the hood know of General Tso than Mansa Musa.

Chinese can and will own, tweak, re-package and sell your own culture to you, as they see fit.

Originally Posted by FedExciter

laugh.gif

Doesn't matter. Chinese people serve some people in the hood the majority of their meals throughout their lives, that leaves them open to accept other elements of Chinese culture as well. Rice was first domesticated in China and Lo Mein ain't American either. More cats in the hood know of General Tso than Mansa Musa.

Chinese can and will own, tweak, re-package and sell your own culture to you, as they see fit.

This.

I guess they never listened to the Wu in New Orleans.

This.

I guess they never listened to the Wu in New Orleans.

...communist 
eyes.gif

nerd.gif
Asian culture influencing American/European culture with repackaged European ideas/themes? Yeah sure I can see that continuing... but dominating with completely original Asian cultural media, fashion etc.? I doubt it... Asians aren't arrogant enough like Europeans to make that happen...
Obviously a few westerners embrace Asian culture to the fullest I just don't think the powers that be will let that become the majority...

Back
Top Bottom