Basketball Pivot Moves Question

Sup NT me and this kid i play ball with are always at an argument about my pivot moves.
For example, if i pump fake to get him in the air and step through using my non-pivot foot moving my body forward and going in for a leaner. He says its a travel because Im picking up my pivot which i have to because I use my non-pivot foot to jump forward.

This has always been a grey area for me but I see Kobe do it all the time so it must be a legal move.

Sup NT me and this kid i play ball with are always at an argument about my pivot moves.
For example, if i pump fake to get him in the air and step through using my non-pivot foot moving my body forward and going in for a leaner. He says its a travel because Im picking up my pivot which i have to because I use my non-pivot foot to jump forward.

This has always been a grey area for me but I see Kobe do it all the time so it must be a legal move.

you don't have a pivot foot, until you pivot.

Example: I catch a pass, and with out a dribble i pump fake and get my man in the air. I can take a step forward for a better shot.

on the other hand. If you are on the blocks with your back to the basket and pivot to face up, a pump and step = walk

Example: I catch a pass, and with out a dribble i pump fake and get my man in the air. I can take a step forward for a better shot.

on the other hand. If you are on the blocks with your back to the basket and pivot to face up, a pump and step = walk

Basically, after you set your pivot foot, dont lift it up or else it'll be a travel.

Basically, after you set your pivot foot, dont lift it up or else it'll be a travel.

In terms of this move (that Kobe does a lot) make sure to jump off BOTH feet at the same time.  So you can pump fake, take a step closer with the non pivot foot (because you start off with both feet pretty close in a jumpshot form), then jump off both.  It will be a bit of an odd lean movement. The reason why jumping off both feet does not constitute as a travel is because its no different from taken a jump shot which is not a travel.

In terms of this move (that Kobe does a lot) make sure to jump off BOTH feet at the same time.  So you can pump fake, take a step closer with the non pivot foot (because you start off with both feet pretty close in a jumpshot form), then jump off both.  It will be a bit of an odd lean movement. The reason why jumping off both feet does not constitute as a travel is because its no different from taken a jump shot which is not a travel.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Unless you're set up along the perimeter (and you've set your feet before receiving a pass), it's unlikely that you would pump fake without first establishing a pivot foot (to square up to the basket).

But the move the OP is describing (a type of up-and-under) is not a travel. It's legal to lift your pivot foot off the floor as long as you release the ball before your pivot foot touches the floor again.  Since the OP is using his non-pivot foot to jump forward to put up a leaner (works best if you are close enough to the basket that this is essentially a layup), he is shooting the ball before his pivot foot touches the floor again.  Therefore, it's not a travel, see Section 70, Art. 4a of the NCAA rulebook.

Art. 4. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before
the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

Unless you're set up along the perimeter (and you've set your feet before receiving a pass), it's unlikely that you would pump fake without first establishing a pivot foot (to square up to the basket).

But the move the OP is describing (a type of up-and-under) is not a travel. It's legal to lift your pivot foot off the floor as long as you release the ball before your pivot foot touches the floor again.  Since the OP is using his non-pivot foot to jump forward to put up a leaner (works best if you are close enough to the basket that this is essentially a layup), he is shooting the ball before his pivot foot touches the floor again.  Therefore, it's not a travel, see Section 70, Art. 4a of the NCAA rulebook.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Originally Posted by BangDak

when you are doing a layup, you are lifting your pivot.
If you lift your pivot foot you can't can back down with it. Just lifting it is not a travel 

If you lift your pivot foot you can't can back down with it. Just lifting it is not a travel 

You're probably traveling. I used to hoop with dudes all the time who thought they had nice footwork cause they watched a few Kobe vids, 99% of the time they werent nice enough to pull of those moves.

You're probably traveling. I used to hoop with dudes all the time who thought they had nice footwork cause they watched a few Kobe vids, 99% of the time they werent nice enough to pull of those moves.

Right......if you're going up for a shot (layup, jumper, leaner, whatever) as long as you dont come back down with a foot on the ground AND the ball in your hand you're good

Right......if you're going up for a shot (layup, jumper, leaner, whatever) as long as you dont come back down with a foot on the ground AND the ball in your hand you're good

no you're not. textbook Right hand layup = Right leg going up and jumping off of your left (pivot)

Unless you mean jumping up and down with the ball, in which case jumping up and down with the ball is a travel.

no you're not. textbook Right hand layup = Right leg going up and jumping off of your left (pivot)

Unless you mean jumping up and down with the ball, in which case jumping up and down with the ball is a travel.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

indifferent.gif
 its a simple up and under, the question is about lifting the pivot foot

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

indifferent.gif
 its a simple up and under, the question is about lifting the pivot foot

i was always under the impression that the only way you can pick up your pivot foot is if both feet are coming off the ground at the same time...

say you establish your left foot as the pivot foot, you're saying that i can put my right foot forward, and lift my left foot? that's a travel...

Back
Top Bottom