Being a huge Eminem fan (I think) and trying to listen to this new stuff...

Am I getting older and just not appreciative of just hardcore lyrics anymore? is it that I see theres more to rap/hip-hop than singular views of what rap was before 2000 (Lupe, Kanye, NERD, Wiz, Dom...loose list but you get what i'm saying...back-packers etc)?

I just don't find the appeal to him anymore. Lyrics that have more to do with delivery than content (which no one wants to admit) seems to be is what is getting people hyped up. I was a fan of the angst and suffering when I was in highschool and middle school. Now its kinda like... I'm over the lame voices, and rhymes about literally killing someone or VIVIDLY raping something. I don't know what it is...I was a fan of everything right before Recovery and a little of Encore. Now its all gimmicky and doesn't nearly resonate as much as it once did... Does anyone else feel this way? Its hard to describe what I don't like about it...

I wouldn't call this an "Appreciation" post of any sort...more so something for you to express why you like or dislike Eminem. What about his stuff appeals to you?

For me, i've become more a fan of lifestyle music. Stuff I can play when i'm vibing out or in a social setting. Doesn't mean that I didnt get Distant Relatives (which I purchased) or other conscious artists but I'm just not with the games so much these days... Maybe everything has its place... NT what do ya'll think?

Am I getting older and just not appreciative of just hardcore lyrics anymore? is it that I see theres more to rap/hip-hop than singular views of what rap was before 2000 (Lupe, Kanye, NERD, Wiz, Dom...loose list but you get what i'm saying...back-packers etc)?

I just don't find the appeal to him anymore. Lyrics that have more to do with delivery than content (which no one wants to admit) seems to be is what is getting people hyped up. I was a fan of the angst and suffering when I was in highschool and middle school. Now its kinda like... I'm over the lame voices, and rhymes about literally killing someone or VIVIDLY raping something. I don't know what it is...I was a fan of everything right before Recovery and a little of Encore. Now its all gimmicky and doesn't nearly resonate as much as it once did... Does anyone else feel this way? Its hard to describe what I don't like about it...

I wouldn't call this an "Appreciation" post of any sort...more so something for you to express why you like or dislike Eminem. What about his stuff appeals to you?

For me, i've become more a fan of lifestyle music. Stuff I can play when i'm vibing out or in a social setting. Doesn't mean that I didnt get Distant Relatives (which I purchased) or other conscious artists but I'm just not with the games so much these days... Maybe everything has its place... NT what do ya'll think?

the other day i was listening to Infinite... the whole album... and i was like man i wish Eminem would go back to rapping this way...
but i dunno if he can or wants to? but i wish he would...
i can't stand his new stuff... just like you you i barely could listen to Encore...

the other day i was listening to Infinite... the whole album... and i was like man i wish Eminem would go back to rapping this way...
but i dunno if he can or wants to? but i wish he would...
i can't stand his new stuff... just like you you i barely could listen to Encore...

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

How do you feel about Drake?

Honestly the only reason I like Drake so much is not only his honesty but his wordplay when he started early in his career. He might have dumbed down to double his dollars but above all dude makes good music. I guess I root for his work so much because I get irritated when people are quick to proclaim something as "not rap" or not "hip-hop" because its different. I'm just open-minded and it doesn't bother me that people have different views but if youre hating it for no reason, then I feel like its important that you at least give it a fair chance. I think talent exists across the board with a lot of artists and crap inundates every level of expression too. Every sub-genre has its champions and poisons. I think I can distinguish between the two. I think good artists deserve a fair chance, no matter how "different" it is. People that make their own lanes all started out "different."

Honestly the only reason I like Drake so much is not only his honesty but his wordplay when he started early in his career. He might have dumbed down to double his dollars but above all dude makes good music. I guess I root for his work so much because I get irritated when people are quick to proclaim something as "not rap" or not "hip-hop" because its different. I'm just open-minded and it doesn't bother me that people have different views but if youre hating it for no reason, then I feel like its important that you at least give it a fair chance. I think talent exists across the board with a lot of artists and crap inundates every level of expression too. Every sub-genre has its champions and poisons. I think I can distinguish between the two. I think good artists deserve a fair chance, no matter how "different" it is. People that make their own lanes all started out "different."

i listened to Recovery once and never will again. same with Relapse.

Em has possibly the greatest flow and rhyme schemes of all time, but his angry stream-of-consciousness songs get repetitive after a while.

word. on Infinite he wasn't on that angry/violent tip... he sounded like he was just having fun and showcasing his skills as an MC.

i listened to Recovery once and never will again. same with Relapse.

Em has possibly the greatest flow and rhyme schemes of all time, but his angry stream-of-consciousness songs get repetitive after a while.

word. on Infinite he wasn't on that angry/violent tip... he sounded like he was just having fun and showcasing his skills as an MC.

NEVER really was a fan of Em, but I def share most of the same feelins as the OP...

But you know the Recovery Street Team will be in here pretty soon tryin to convince people the album doesn't SUCK BALLS... But it does.

NEVER really was a fan of Em, but I def share most of the same feelins as the OP...

But you know the Recovery Street Team will be in here pretty soon tryin to convince people the album doesn't SUCK BALLS... But it does.

I can't get into him now either. +**@ just doesn't appeal to me the way it did years ago.

I can't get into him now either. +**@ just doesn't appeal to me the way it did years ago.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Honestly the only reason I like Drake so much is not only his honesty but his wordplay when he started early in his career.
THIS.
It PAINS me to listen to his new stuff after bumping Comeback Season or Room For Improvement..

I understand he wanted to blow, but losing yourself in the process wasnt part of that deal.

I prayed that Thank Me Later would be like Comeback Season.. I was disappointed.

Now I hear hes doing an R&B mixtape.. 
eyes.gif

I kinda hoped he would flop just so he could get hungry again...

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Honestly the only reason I like Drake so much is not only his honesty but his wordplay when he started early in his career.
THIS.
It PAINS me to listen to his new stuff after bumping Comeback Season or Room For Improvement..

I understand he wanted to blow, but losing yourself in the process wasnt part of that deal.

I prayed that Thank Me Later would be like Comeback Season.. I was disappointed.

Now I hear hes doing an R&B mixtape.. 
eyes.gif

I kinda hoped he would flop just so he could get hungry again...

Back
Top Bottom