Between Microsoft and Sony, who won the console war this generation?

Although I consider myself a Sony guy, I believe that Microsoft really won. (I own both systems) Sure at the beginning, Microsoft had problems with their red rings of death on earlier models, but they really fixed things with their most recent model (the slim). They also took it further by introducing kinect. Now, I know what most of you guys will say-- that motion gaming is a gimmick. True but Microsoft's kinect sensor technology is now being introduced in other forms of electronics such as TVs.
Sony, on the other hand, they went with the move lol. They really didn't need to do that. But of course they did that just to be in motion gaming.

Now online play: I use to think that free is better but that's not the case. Xbox is way better than playstation.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to discuss/ disagree.

XBox Live...
pimp.gif

Sony lost, and I still don't think the PS3 ever reached it's full potential.

For me it's Microsoft and to be honest... I wouldn't even include the Kinect in this discussion because they were winning before the Kinect was even introduced.

Sony made a hot Bluray player.

Microsoft made a hot everything else it was supposed to be.

microsoft probably made more money but sony made some pretty good games the exclusives for 360 the past years have been meh, while the ps3 ones were great, microsoft has the better online gaming tho

Xbox for sure. Microsoft been winning ever since the original Xbox :pimp:

Online is better. 60 bucks a year for all types of features. And it's more secure. Look at how the guy shut down psn. Just cause its free don't mean it's better

worldwide its close, but in the United States Microsoft won by a landslide. I have both and I have 6 PS3 games and about 40 360 games. The xbox controller is just so much better and the PS3 seems to have endless updates that take forever to download. Its got blu-ray going for it which once upon a time was a big selling point but now you can get a player for $60.

From what I've read they may be able to turn it around with the upcoming consoles though. I think Microsoft is aiming too high with the possibility of required kinect, the price point might just be too high. If Sony tweaks that controller and gives it real triggers and beefs it up a bit I might switch my primary console.

It really comes down to personal opinion but for me it's simple. Sony won. PS3 came out a year later, cost 500-600 dollars yet has shipped more consoles then the 360 worldwide (contrary to popular belief there is a world outside of America). 360 has better online w/o question but at the same time I would hope it did if I'm paying for it while I'm not on PS3. PS3 has had the better games since 2008 also. Most 360 gamers only play Madden/2K/COD/Battlefield with a little Gears or Halo in between. Just not that many games on 360 that aren't on PS3. Sony has good exclusives coming out every month. Just got Sly Cooper and have God Of War and Last of Us in the next 3 months.

Last edited:
I'd say Microsoft won. Last generation, Sony had the household semi-casual console while Microsoft came in with a heavy duty, highly capable console that wasn't as appreciated by the general public...feels like the roles changed this time with Microsoft going more casual and Sony focusing heavily on how powerful the console is.

Last edited:
Microsoft. As a primarily online gamer, I need to have a good online offering and XBL is far superior to PSN. I rarely run into large scale issues with Servers, XBL Multiplayer exclsives> PSNs, and in the case of the games that come out for both, the Xbox version always has a better experience and more skilled player base from my experiences with both consoles.

If you're going to count blu-ray its closer for Sony but they still lose the "gaming console" part of it.

Xbox controller>>>>>

Xbox live>>>>>

NT is going to say Microsoft won because of XBox Live, so I don't know why this question was asked. Most people on this forum are casual gamers at best.
But most people in the world are casuals. Even if youre involved in a video games competitive community, you are still more than likely a casual gamer. I have games that I would consider myself extremely good at, better than more than 90% of the player base on it, know all the ins and outs, and take it seriously when I'm playing it, but I'm still a casual gamer in my book.

The Xbox is just a better system overall and a better online experience. The ONLY reason it is close is because of the Blu-ray.

I had the original X-Box and when that crapped out I quit gaming for a while. The only reason I got a PS3 is because I wanted a Blu-ray and the ability to game. After I got my 360 though I haven't even touched the PS3 for gaming.

NT is going to say Microsoft won because of XBox Live, so I don't know why this question was asked. Most people on this forum are casual gamers at best.
But most people in the world are casuals. Even if youre involved in a video games competitive community, you are still more than likely a casual gamer. I have games that I would consider myself extremely good at, better than more than 90% of the player base on it, know all the ins and outs, and take it seriously when I'm playing it, but I'm still a casual gamer in my book.
By casual gamers, I meant the COD/Madden/2k/GTA crowd that's afraid to experience anything new and ruffle their feathers. Most people on here don't follow any trends or gaming news and regurgitate what they've heard other people say.

Sony won, straight off the strength of last generation. I feel it'll be different next gen.

I miss the days when Playstation was Sony's baby, almost off to the side from the rest of Sony.. Now its just another part of their electronic entertainment dept and its all about the numbers.

Xbox for sure. Microsoft been winning ever since the original Xbox :pimp:
lol?
PS2 won vs every console ever made, and clearly dominated that generation of consoles.

This generation it at least is close. Between the two we are discussing anyways.
Wii dominated early, and still is ahead of both, but that's for a different crowd then most us on NT.

Last edited:
By casual gamers, I meant the COD/Madden/2k/GTA crowd that's afraid to experience anything new and ruffle their feathers. Most people on here don't follow any trends or gaming news and regurgitate what they've heard other people say.
Oh my mistake, thought you meant something different.

Sales wise i say its a tie, but MS did cut into Sony Share ...

but if the Rumor are true for both system next gen ....Sony PS4 is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Feb 20th can't come any sooner

Sony won, straight off the strength of last generation. I feel it'll be different next gen.

I miss the days when Playstation was Sony's baby, almost off to the side from the rest of Sony.. Now its just another part of their electronic entertainment dept and its all about the numbers.
Agreed. Of course they pay attention to Playstation but like you said the Playstation used to be Sonys pried and joy. The PS3 launch and surrounding PR was just terrible. The former Playstation head now being the CEO helps but still.

I gotta go with Xbox for this gen. I rarely ever even use my ps3. It feels like a chore updating that thing. I never understood why that thing takes so long to update. I also had to buy 3 ps3's because 2 of them stopped working. My first xbox got the red rings but MS sent me another one. Sony not bout that good customer service life.

Reactions: ct3

So, who do you think won, then?

PS3 brought all the perks standard

can't forget the blu-ray... seems like a more rounded entertainment machine

360 would win considering numbers cause it's the poverty system... while ps3 is for the people with a lil premium taste.

*have both systems

Back
Top Bottom