Big L...is overrated by a lot of people

Let me ask you a question. Put Big L and Biggie in a room and ask them to come up with a 16. Who would come out with a hotter verse?

If you say Biggie, you're fooling yourself.
smh.gif

Do you even know what dudes were rapping like in 93-95? NO ONE was rapping like L back then. You're comparing him to everyone who bit his style now. Youhave to look at it in the time context.

L murked every free-verse he was asked to do. Now as far as "Top 10 artists" or "Artists with top 10 catalogues", he might not be onthose lists. But as far as pure, raw TALENT? Top 10 at LEAST.

I don't see anybody fronting on dudes talent. I've always said on this forum that when it comes to pure talent and potential BIG, Pun and L were in aclass by themselves.

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

Let me ask you a question. Put Big L and Biggie in a room and ask them to come up with a 16. Who would come out with a hotter verse?

If you say Biggie, you're fooling yourself.
smh.gif

Do you even know what dudes were rapping like in 93-95? NO ONE was rapping like L back then. You're comparing him to everyone who bit his style now. You have to look at it in the time context.

L murked every free-verse he was asked to do. Now as far as "Top 10 artists" or "Artists with top 10 catalogues", he might not be on those lists. But as far as pure, raw TALENT? Top 10 at LEAST.

If u look at my original post u could see that i was comparing him to dudes from that era...
and as for that thing wit big...
in a battle...l wins...but in just a regular verse that kid from bedstuy is taking it...

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

I don't see anybody fronting on dudes talent. I've always said on this forum that when it comes to pure talent and potential BIG, Pun and L were in a class by themselves.

In terms of pure ability, BIG couldn't hang with either. I wouldn't give him 1 round in a 3 round battle against either of them. Sorry.

Over rated possibly, but at the end of the day he's nice. There's no argument on that. (Unless you smoke base of course)

Originally Posted by chozin87

Over rated possibly, but at the end of the day he's nice. There's no argument on that. (Unless you smoke base of course)

Again no ones arguing that hes not nice...but GOAT...@%%+ outta here...

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Originally Posted by chozin87

Again no ones arguing that hes not nice...but GOAT...@%%+ outta here...
i gotta agree with you...dudes look at the potential he had and just run with it....he's Top 25 IMO

indifferent.gif
at this thread.

Big L was hands down the most talented dude to ever touch a mic. Only one close is Pun. That's it.

Dude died at 24 years old. In that time he already had a top 5 of all-time album (his debut), outshined everyone in CoC, outshined everyone in DITC, outshinedeveryone in cyph's and radio freestyles... I have not heard a single instance where Big L was out-done by anyone; and I have literally every single pieceof music Big L ever made or was on.

We've heard it all already.. the "he got his style from Lord Finesse" - so what ? He did it 100x better. Just about everyone got their style fromRakim and Kool G; so what's the point ? "Written freestyles" - most of the time he spit bars before songs were even made and went back andincluded them on his albums; other times we give him props for stringing everything together so smoothly and destroying rappers who were also using writtens.Dudes talking trash have heard a handful of freestyles... come on. Big L had dozens, no denying he couldn't come straight off the top and wreck dudeseither.

I understand he wasn't dropping deep introspective verses on the reg. but let's be serious... NO ONE is touching him when it came to the ability tojust get on the mic and rip it. Pure entertainment with the best punchlines and word play the game has ever seen. Dude could go from straight up sick talkingabout cannibalism to a line that would have you rollin because it was so clever and filled with truth at the same time. Also was easily the greatest freestylerof all time. No one DOA can or could out-do him, period.

Everyone around him at the time already knew what was up. The entire NYC area; there's not a rapper out that won't give him props and admit to gettinglaced by him if they ever had worked together. There's also the "giving him too much credit because he died" argument... dude had roughly thesame amount of material as Biggie... and was infinitely better; what props does he get among the average hip hop fan ? Maybe 1/50 New Yorkers will put him inthe top 5... that's just pathetic. Dudes are on NT where maybe 5 other music forum members appreciate Big L and wanna make a thread like this whileignoring the dozens of trash artists who would be lucky enough to lick the bottom of Big L's shoes yet are D-riden like the 2nd coming.

"why don't you let the late great veteran live" /Nas

Quotables for days, RIP Lamont Coleman.

Big L is not better than Notorious. Just my opinion. I think most people's opinions as well

Even by your own words in the OP, he's overrated by ONE kid on here who no one takes seriously.

That doesn't make him "overrated" though.

Even though I think the whole "ranking" thing is corny and for simpletons who for some bizarre reason have to rank everything, even if you sayhe's Top 30, that's still +$#%%#* great.

I don't think too many people see him as a "Top 10" or "Top 5" MC. And I came up in and be around Harlem on the regular.

Also, if you're going to discredit him by saying he "got his style from Lord Finesse", then you might as well discredit every 90's era rapperfor getting there style from someone else.

At that point, the only GOAT's are the pioneers who set the bar, and not the MC's they "influenced".

But you know what, I have no problem with that.......

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

with the way that dude defends vinnie paz, i didnt even want to start a thread like this but im glad you did and i totally agree ...

Come on son, Big L was talking about that Norman Bates, killing moms, horror-core jazz before Em ever seen a Mic. Big L was absolutely a pioneer. He singlehandedly invented Horror-Core as a sub-genre with "Devils Son"

Big L just a punchline rapper ?
indifferent.gif

Go listen to Street Struck, I Don't Understand It, Fed Up with BS... etc.

2nd to none story telling except for maybe Kool G Rap... Clinic, The Heist, Casualties Of A Dice Game
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Untouchable flow, again, except for maybe G Rap and Pun. Dude had EVERYTHING down. All that was left was for him to grow as an artist, and he was obviouslyrobbed of that chance.

throw 'em L's up
571808182nv8.gif

Originally Posted by M16

We've heard it all already.. the "he got his style from Lord Finesse" - so what ? He did it 100x better. Just about everyone got their style from Rakim and Kool G; so what's the point ? "Written freestyles" - most of the time he spit bars before songs were even made and went back and included them on his albums; other times we give him props for stringing everything together so smoothly and destroying rappers who were also using writtens. Dudes talking trash have heard a handful of freestyles... come on. Big L had dozens, no denying
Everyone around him at the time already knew what was up. The entire NYC area; there's not a rapper out that won't give him props and admit to getting laced by him if they ever had worked together. There's also the "giving him too much credit because he died" argument... dude had roughly the same amount of material as Biggie... and was infinitely better; what props does he get among the average hip hop fan ? Maybe 1/50 New Yorkers will put him in the top 5... that's just pathetic. Dudes are on NT where maybe 5 other music forum members appreciate Big L and wanna make a thread like this while ignoring the dozens of trash artists who would be lucky enough to lick the bottom of Big L's shoes yet are D-riden like the 2nd coming.

QUOTED FOR THE @**%*@%*@@%@$ TRUTH!

I HATE when people bring up "dude he doesn't have enough material", him and BIG BOTH HAD 2 ALBUMS, THE +%%$ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by M16

indifferent.gif
at this thread.

Big L was hands down the most talented dude to ever touch a mic. Only one close is Pun. That's it.

Dude died at 24 years old. In that time he already had a top 5 of all-time album (his debut), outshined everyone in CoC, outshined everyone in DITC, outshined everyone in cyph's and radio freestyles... I have not heard a single instance where Big L was out-done by anyone; and I have literally every single piece of music Big L ever made or was on.

We've heard it all already.. the "he got his style from Lord Finesse" - so what ? He did it 100x better. Just about everyone got their style from Rakim and Kool G; so what's the point ? "Written freestyles" - most of the time he spit bars before songs were even made and went back and included them on his albums; other times we give him props for stringing everything together so smoothly and destroying rappers who were also using writtens. Dudes talking trash have heard a handful of freestyles... come on. Big L had dozens, no denying he couldn't come straight off the top and wreck dudes either.

I understand he wasn't dropping deep introspective verses on the reg. but let's be serious... NO ONE is touching him when it came to the ability to just get on the mic and rip it. Pure entertainment with the best punchlines and word play the game has ever seen. Dude could go from straight up sick talking about cannibalism to a line that would have you rollin because it was so clever and filled with truth at the same time. Also was easily the greatest freestyler of all time. No one DOA can or could out-do him, period.

Everyone around him at the time already knew what was up. The entire NYC area; there's not a rapper out that won't give him props and admit to getting laced by him if they ever had worked together. There's also the "giving him too much credit because he died" argument... dude had roughly the same amount of material as Biggie... and was infinitely better; what props does he get among the average hip hop fan ? Maybe 1/50 New Yorkers will put him in the top 5... that's just pathetic. Dudes are on NT where maybe 5 other music forum members appreciate Big L and wanna make a thread like this while ignoring the dozens of trash artists who would be lucky enough to lick the bottom of Big L's shoes yet are D-riden like the 2nd coming.

You bring up Pun...Someone who dersves all the props het gets..and more in my opinion...
has L ever had a You Aint a Killer moment...a dream shatter moment... brave in the heart moment..etc
Matter fact has he had a Apostles Warning Moment...a shooks ones...hell on earth etc...
or what about a long kiss goodnight... a take it in blood...a thrid verse on streets is watchin moment...I can keep on going here...These N's was hisPEERS...
if he has please let me know what it is...

Dude picked some real $%!@ like beats...I cant even sit through a majority of his songs...dude def could tell astory
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by illphillip

Even by your own words in the OP, he's overrated by ONE kid on here who no one takes seriously.

That doesn't make him "overrated" though.

Even though I think the whole "ranking" thing is corny and for simpletons who for some bizarre reason have to rank everything, even if you say he's Top 30, that's still +$#%%#* great.

I don't think too many people see him as a "Top 10" or "Top 5" MC. And I came up in and be around Harlem on the regular.

Also, if you're going to discredit him by saying he "got his style from Lord Finesse", then you might as well discredit every 90's era rapper for getting there style from someone else.

At that point, the only GOAT's are the pioneers who set the bar, and not the MC's they "influenced".

But you know what, I have no problem with that.......

I see what u saying...
This thread was really made for people who want to say $*@$ like he's the greatest of all time (MEB aint the only person I heard that from)...
It bugs me and makes me question if these dudes mean it or they on some bandwagon $*@$...

Originally Posted by M16

indifferent.gif
at this thread.

Dude died at 24 years old. In that time he already had a top 5 of all-time album (his debut), outshined everyone in CoC, outshined everyone in DITC, outshined everyone in cyph's and radio freestyles... I have not heard a single instance where Big L was out-done by anyone; and I have literally every single piece of music Big L ever made or was on.

We've heard it all already.. the "he got his style from Lord Finesse" - so what ? He did it 100x better. Just about everyone got their style from Rakim and Kool G; so what's the point ? "Written freestyles" - most of the time he spit bars before songs were even made and went back and included them on his albums; other times we give him props for stringing everything together so smoothly and destroying rappers who were also using writtens. Dudes talking trash have heard a handful of freestyles... come on. Big L had dozens, no denying he couldn't come straight off the top and wreck dudes either.

I understand he wasn't dropping deep introspective verses on the reg. but let's be serious... NO ONE is touching him when it came to the ability to just get on the mic and rip it. Pure entertainment with the best punchlines and word play the game has ever seen. Dude could go from straight up sick talking about cannibalism to a line that would have you rollin because it was so clever and filled with truth at the same time. Also was easily the greatest freestyler of all time. No one DOA can or could out-do him, period.

You bring up Pun...Someone who dersves all the props het gets..and more in my opinion...
has L ever had a You Aint a Killer moment...a dream shatter moment... brave in the heart moment..etc
Matter fact has he had a Apostles Warning Moment...a shooks ones...hell on earth etc...
or what about a long kiss goodnight... a take it in blood...a thrid verse on streets is watchin moment...I can keep on going here...These N's was his PEERS...

Have any of those dudes had '98. '95, stretch and bobbito, rock n wills, devils son, lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous, harlem nights, americandream, danger zone, 8iz enuff, da graveyard, street struck moments ? Hell, every mash up with Pun and L together Pun gets out-done.. and He;s my 3rd favoriterapper of all-time. Rumors are a new movie dropping soon will have unseen footage of both rapping side by side, so we can judge that then.

Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by M16

indifferent.gif
at this thread.

or what about a long kiss goodnight... a take it in blood...a thrid verse on streets is watchin moment...I can keep on going here...These N's was his PEERS...

Have any of those dudes had '98. '95, stretch and bobbito, rock n wills, devils son, lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous, harlem nights, american dream, danger zone, 8iz enuff, da graveyard, street struck moments ? Hell, every mash up with Pun and L together Pun gets out-done.. and He;s my 3rd favorite rapper of all-time. Rumors are a new movie dropping soon will have unseen footage of both rapping side by side, so we can judge that then.

I don't see how any of those compare to the #$%$ I mentioned...maybe the freestyle wit hov cause son snapped on that...

You lose for making this thread just for MEB and yourself. Yall might as well have had an aim convo.

As for the topic Big L is overrated by a lot of ppl, he's also underrated by a lot of other ppl at the same time. Calling dude only a punchline rapper isinsulting but even going down that path what he was doing with punchline only one other person was doing and showed a capability to do it as good or better.He'll always be a legend and his music will always be appreciated with
eek.gif
pimp.gif
when his songs play when I got the shuffle on.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

I agree that he's over rated by many....but Lifestylez is a hands down classic album to me.

Its close to a perfect album IMO.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

You lose for making this thread just for MEB and yourself. Yall might as well have had an aim convo.

As for the topic Big L is overrated by a lot of ppl, he's also underrated by a lot of other ppl at the same time. Calling dude only a punchline rapper is insulting but even going down that path what he was doing with punchline only one other person was doing and showed a capability to do it as good or better. He'll always be a legend and his music will always be appreciated with
eek.gif
pimp.gif
when his songs play when I got the shuffle on.

I just made this thread thinking that there is a lot of people who think like him when it comes to L...
Now that the thread is done I see I was wrong...
Most people on here arent sheep or just plain stupid...

Originally Posted by M16

outshined everyone in DITC
Lifestylez is NOT a better album than Word.......Life. Not even close. I'll take Jewelz over Lifestylez. Big Picture had way, way, way to manyrecycled verses to even be considered a real album.
I like Big L & all, but...........

Back
Top Bottom