Black Culture Discussion Thread

And when they're done purging white, Indian, and Chinese dolls from supermarkets, are they gonna make a distinction between Xhosa and Zulu dolls?

Y'all need to be careful about what you support because it wasn't long ago that South Africans were harrassing West and East African immigrants too.

man shut up

man shut up
You shut up.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...s-refugees-and-migrants-still-living-in-fear/

South Africa: Ten years after xenophobic killings, refugees and migrants still living in fear
11 May 2018, 15:14 UTC
Ten years after an outbreak of horrific xenophobic violence claimed 60 lives in South Africa, refugees and migrants are still facing daily discrimination and living in constant fear of physical attacks, Amnesty International said today.

The xenophobic violence that spread across South Africa in 2008 should have been a wake-up call for the government
Shenilla Mohamed, Executive Director of Amnesty International South Africa
Twitter
  • Email
On 11 May 2008 a Mozambican national, Ernesto Alfabeto Nhamuaye, was beaten, stabbed and set alight in a brutal killing which set off a chain of violent attacks against migrants and refugees in South Africa.

“The violence that spread across South Africa in 2008 should have been a wake-up call for the government, underscoring the catastrophic consequences of its failure to root out hatred against refugees and migrants. But 10 years on, refugees and migrants still feel the echoes of that terrifying period,” said Shenilla Mohamed, Executive Director of Amnesty International South Africa.

Hatred and xenophobia know no color. Tribalism and racism have their roots in the same soil. So while you cheer the removal of white dolls from commerce that nobody is forced to buy, remember that tomorrow, your Kente cloth shop might be the next to go because it's not local enough.

gry60 gry60 , we all know there was massive xenophobia in RSA as it pertain to other black Afrcians. Thats another point.

We are talking about them taking back their land from Europeans and you come with this nonsense.

This is the equivalent to black people discussing police brutality and someone yelling out "but what about black on black crime!"

you are stupid and annoying, now go away

gry60 gry60 , we all know there was massive xenophobia in RSA as it pertain to other black Afrcians. Thats another point.

We are talking about them taking back their land from Europeans and you come with this nonsense.

This is the equivalent to black people discussing police brutality and someone yelling out "but what about black on black crime!"

No it is not.

Whenever someone wants to add nuance and context to something, you flip out

No it is not.

Whenever someone wants to add nuance and context to something, you flip out

which is the much BIGGER issue in South Africa?

White people controlling the country and suppressing the majority black Africans

OR

Xenophobia as it pertains to other African nationals in South Africa

and before you answer, yes both are important, but which is MORE important?

if black people claim they are the real native americans, how do you guys explain the isolated/uncontacted tribes in the amazon? they're not black.

people who claim that are stupid to me.

99% of black people are from Africa.

you got people with nappy hair and big nose saying they not African but Cherokee Indian lol

You are arrogant and ignorant of the realities of the African continent, I see.

You take a few trips beyond the African shoreline and you think you understand the place.

which is the much BIGGER issue in South Africa?

White people controlling the country and suppressing the majority black Africans

OR

Xenophobia as it pertains to other African nationals in South Africa

and before you answer, yes both are important, but which is MORE important?
Both are rooted in the same sentiment.

For the record, when you look at the ANC, when you look at the SA government, how many white folks do you see in there? The ANC controls SA, and the chorus of one their famous rally songs is "kill the boer." What kind of white-controlled government would even entertain the idea of summary land seizure from white farmers?

Black politicians control SA, but you're still gonna act like stupid gestures like removing white dolls from stores is going to make a difference, when all it does is appeasing the feelings of xenophobes?

Nouss Nouss it's disturbing, bruh sending shots at people for having native american ancestry too. I got native american in my ancestry but that doesn't make me not black. I'm still black, I just got native american too lol

Nouss Nouss it's disturbing, bruh sending shots at people for having native american ancestry too. I got native american in my ancestry but that doesn't make me not black. I'm still black, I just got native american too lol

lol, go take a DNA test. Im 99% sure you majority African and a little European.

Everytime I know a black person hell out "Im half Native American", they do a DNA test to prove they African and a little European.

lol, go take a DNA test. Im 99% sure you majority African and a little European.

Everytime I know a black person hell out "Im half Native American", they do a DNA test to prove they African and a little European.
Don't need one. I have an family member that did the genealogy for my fam. Like I said, not every black person who has native american in their fam is dropping their blackness. I generally don't even tell people because 90% of the time people think I'm Dominican/North African. They ask me all the time "are you mixed" and I just tell em naw im black.

Yea last time I wasn't black but I am actually black this time you try to explain to me my own genealogy bruh. You should stick to worrying about Dr Umar Johnson and not if other people are Native American or not

You are arrogant and ignorant of the realities of the African continent, I see.

You take a few trips beyond the African shoreline and you think you understand the place.

Both are rooted in the same sentiment.

For the record, when you look at the ANC, when you look at the SA government, how many white folks do you see in there? The ANC controls SA, and the chorus of one their famous rally songs is "kill the boer." What kind of white-controlled government would even entertain the idea of summary land seizure from white farmers?

Black politicians control SA, but you're still gonna act like stupid gestures like removing white dolls from stores is going to make a difference, when all it does is appeasing the feelings of xenophobes?

while i wouldn’t go all the way to calling it stupid, i do think it is much more about symbolism than really affecting the lives of black (or white for that matter) south africans in a tangible way...even the land seizures and some of the policies i’ve seen discussed seem to be more about exacting revenge than really making a strong thriving economy that would make life better for the black south african majority.

it is a very fine line with positing things such as these in a zero sum type way, because it does feed into a mentality that incentivizes a narrow mindset..you could imagine an alternative where, if this issue of representation of dolls in stores was of importance, their government could have subsidized companies that made more representative dolls or placed tariffs/taxes on the purchase & sale of white dolls...

One issue I had with SA was the privatization of the fishing industry which blocked out natives of South Africa. They would rather give fishing licenses to foreigners than supply the fishermen that were living there for the past 8+ generations that only knew this fishing trade. I don’t know if SA fixed that issue but giving back land to the natives is a good step into restoring their african communities

For class we're debating which form of reparations would be best. Via money or programs. My team has to argue programs

Upon research, I'm reading that Germany has awarded 60,000 Holocaust survivors about $800 million

They continiously deny what's owed and try to tell us to get over it, meanwhile Germany has dishing out reparations to the Jewish survivors for over 50 years now. Even the French is paying reparations to Jewish survivors in the US. We need to press the issue on this.

Back
Top Bottom