Black Culture Discussion Thread

There have been a lot of sidebar conversations in multiple threads about the status of Black Culture in our society, so I figured I would make a thread that would focus specifically on those topics. 

Some topics that were brought up in multiple threads:

Lack of unity
Exploitation
Glorification of destructive behaviors
Hypocrisy in music
Lack of leadership

As a black man I feel like honest discussions on these controversial topics needs to happen. We need to self reflect and address some of these issues so we can move forward as a people and as a culture. It seems like we were more together as a people when we were outwardly oppressed. Now that the oppression has been woven into the fabric of our nation and we are seemingly equal... we call each other ******, glorify violence against each other, and are as divided as ever. 

Thoughts?

Its pretty obvious. Guys wanna act hard, act badness. Instead of promoting education, hard work, they promote bad behavior, looting, gangs, violence, and taking the easy way out. Culture is exactly what you see in movies, art, media, music, etc, There‘s no secret.

Funny thing is that they act like they are a minority when they ain‘t, and keep playing that card. There are plenty of other groups out there that are minorities but to some, they lack swag, they wildin out, or whatever.

Just 2 cents.

Who let the **** boys in?

Don't speak on "black culture" if you aren't a part of it.

but wouldn't someone's view on it be just as important?

900x900px-LL-2ee8f762_555322240.gif

Mannnnnnnn people can discuss whatever they want. However, don't tell us what it is we need and not need to do.

but wouldn't someone's view on it be just as important?

Do you think it would? And if so state your reasons why.

I believe so.

I'm not black, I'm an outsider looking in. I have my opinions on your culture (assuming you're African American).

I believe my opinion, as well as everybody else's is important because there's a reason as to why they see it that way.

To solve the problem, you have to know what the problem is. Why do I see it in a certain manner, and what can you do to change it?

And no, I'm not suggesting you change your entire culture. Just the bad aspects of it (which every culture has)

Yea yea, I know #SWS

Mannnnnnnn people can discuss whatever they want. However, don't tell us what it is we need and not need to do.

Why do you dude's get mad when someone says "Black people need to do better?" Doesn't everybody need to do better?

Why do you dude's get mad when someone says "Black people need to do better?" Doesn't everybody need to do better?
Nobody likes to be told what to do. Especially by people from the outside looking in. But as I said, people can discuss what they want.

And who says I'm mad?

I like where you took this. So how do we find new cause. I'm not saying that "making it" is whats important, but what I am saying is that is what seems to be important to our people right now. What will lead us into a new mentality of unity. We make music about us... it gets commercialized. We make clothing that reflects our identity, it gets hyped and commercialized to the point where even we can't buy it. We protest unjust actions against our people, news networks and social media will publicize it in such away that the outcry is more the focal point than the actual incident. We get college educated and end up "whitewashed".  What is the next level for the black community? I'm not discouraged. But I am willing to play devil's advocate in order to pry the answers to these questions out. 

I don't think it's finding clothing, or networks or anything that directly supports the black community

I think it is being objective, objective to society. Nike for example has a lot of these kids brainwashed, believing in their elitists persona, actually having these kids sleep/camp outside of stores just to get the opportunity to pay for their overpriced products, just an opportunity. I know that it is their choice to do this, but nike is deliberately marketing and limiting some these products so that kids will want them to stay relevant in a particular subculture

I use to have alot of sneakers, and I still love sneakers but realizing how they arrogantly hang their products over consumers heads and make them crawl for it is why I sold all of my limited sneakers that the kids seem to worship, cause all these companies wanna do is bank off of our culture.

Just as well, I still watch TV, it's not about black dominance but being objective. I don't watch non of these MTV or BET awards or unreal lame reality TV shows cause personally I think they are lame, but I think kids should steer away from it so they can stop idolizing these idiots.

Everybody wants something they can do and relate to with everybody, but through Isolation you can grow to be a better individual and understand self-worth. I believe it is isolation and not regrouping that would save culture, being okay with dressing down and off brand, not running away but standing up to commercialized business, teaching each other how to not be media illiterate, teaching such literary and how to be individuals, because we cannot come together before we identify who we are as individuals outside of what we are in the world

Learning through re-programming and not regrouping. Remember before there were problems of brothers disrespecting other races because they thought they were better, maybe this way we can appreciate ourselves and others, which is a meteor in the way of this change, people think in order to do so that they must impose dominance, instead this will let individuals shine and show pride of who they are

Nobody likes to be told what to do. Especially by people from the outside looking in. But as I said, people can discuss what they want.

And who says I'm mad?

Didn't mean you in general. I just seen it on Twitter where people were mad at people saying this.

View media item 1142828
because other races continue to hold us down while they tell us to do better.

I understand what you're saying although I truthfully don't believe anybody is holding you down. Is there people that want to hold you down? Yes, but there isn't a race that is holding you down.

If you want to succeed, you can do o and nobody can stop you from that.

I don't think it's finding clothing, or networks or anything that directly supports the black community

I think it is being objective, objective to society. Nike for example has a lot of these kids brainwashed, believing in their elitists persona, actually having these kids sleep/camp outside of stores just to get the opportunity to pay for their overpriced products, just an opportunity. I know that it is their choice to do this, but nike is deliberately marketing and limiting some these products so that kids will want them to stay relevant in a particular subculture

I use to have alot of sneakers, and I still love sneakers but realizing how they arrogantly hang their products over consumers heads and make them crawl for it is why I sold all of my limited sneakers that the kids seem to worship, cause all these companies wanna do is bank off of our culture.

Just as well, I still watch TV, it's not about black dominance but being objective. I don't watch non of these MTV or BET awards or unreal lame reality TV shows cause personally I think they are lame, but I think kids should steer away from it so they can stop idolizing these idiots.

Everybody wants something they can do and relate to with everybody, but through Isolation you can grow to be a better individual and understand self-worth. I believe it is isolation and not regrouping that would save culture, being okay with dressing down and off brand, not running away but standing up to commercialized business, teaching each other how to not be media illiterate, teaching such literary and how to be individuals, because we cannot come together before we identify who we are as individuals outside of what we are in the world

Learning through re-programming and not regrouping. Remember before there were problems of brothers disrespecting other races because they thought they were better, maybe this way we can appreciate ourselves and others, which is a meteor in the way of this change, people think in order to do so that they must impose dominance, instead this will let individuals shine and show pride of who they are

Blamed Nike and the media. A perfect example of my previous post. You guys are hopeless.

"Oh if Nike's marketing team wasn't so effective and BET and MTV weren't so entertaining then we'd have a better chance at being successful."

Like seriously, am I the only one that realizes how absolutely ridiculous that sounds?

Last edited:
Whatch u talking about. Its people with this mindset that keeps things divided and alienated. You dont own black culture tho, but you embrace it to the point where you associate yourself with it, simply because its your haven. If you like it, cool. Live how you wanna live.

Its funny those people are scared to choose or decide. They choose to associate themselves with that culture, and hesitate to come out and say whats wrong n right. Naive and stubborn.

Back
Top Bottom