Black Culture Discussion Thread

They told him to read the room.

Yes, he could’ve paid his respects. But he wanted to speak out on a plight/

The first verse says it all.

PNB Rock. Takeoff. And all the other rappers before. No other art form is fraught with this level of violence. And it’s not a matter that we’re predisposed to it. The music. Our environments.

One of the best ever in terms of getting important concepts in song

serious question, if we could call Kyrie an antisemite for posting a film that has antisemetic themes in it.

Are those white companies who make continuous slave films also all racist? the constnt images of black people getting whipped, dehumanized, called ******, raped etc etc What message does that relay? How does that not add to the hate & ignorance applied to black peopl in this country.

Would it be okay if a black media company decided to start making films about the Holocaust?

As much as I hate movies about slavery, I don’t think it’s inherently racist unless it’s intentionally misrepresenting what happened during slavery to make it seem less horrible. This is what’s happening in “history” curriculums in some states.

Regarding the Kyrie thing, I think the movie is anti-Semitic based on the summaries I’ve read. I don’t think Kyrie himself is anti-Semitic tho, I think he’s just a ****ing idiot who probably didn’t watch the whole movie or read the book and parrots whatever YouTube conspiracy theory hole he fell down this week.

Last edited:
I might be remembering wrong. Or maybe it was misinformation. Is Shaq a flat Earther?

serious question, if we could call Kyrie an antisemite for posting a film that has antisemetic themes in it.

Are those white companies who make continuous slave films also all racist? the constnt images of black people getting whipped, dehumanized, called ******, raped etc etc What message does that relay? How does that not add to the hate & ignorance applied to black peopl in this country.

Would it be okay if a black media company decided to start making films about the Holocaust?
I think the issue is the rhetoric pushed in the movie (Hebrew Israelite, cabal conspiracies, antisemitism, etc).

I read the Rolling Stone article and have someone I was close to who is a Hebrew Israelite. So I am intimidate with the ideas.

I think given recent events, it probably wasn’t wise for Kyrie to tweet about the movie/book. Maybe wait until he’s on Joe Rogan and strike up that topic/conversation.

I do “agree” that as we “awaken” or view history in a different light that certain facts/truths can be interpreted for what they are. And maybe there’s a middle ground/place.

But espousing Synagogues of Satan, Twelve Tribes, So-called Fake Jews, etc RIGHT after the Kanye debacle is just asking for trouble.

Takeoff was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kyrie is intentionally putting himself in the line of fire. And worse adding in Alex Jones, Flat Earth and pseudo intellectual bs and not being able to discuss/back up your points/actions intelligently isn’t a good look for a Black Man.

Ya'll are just as shut up & dribble as the right wingers that spew the same nonsense.

Whenever a black athletes opinion doesn't match yours suddenly their back to the trope of being uneducated & easily manipulated :lol: .

****** are always itching to fire off on another black man publicly :smh:

i see what you're saying but the fact is the main reason anyone cares what he has to say is because he hoops...to an extent, i agree with shaq's assessment kyrie either lacks awareness of doesn't care about the perception that his words may have; i think it is a legitimate critique. rightly or wrongly, people generally will put folks into simple boxes/categories, to which some will give greater or lesser leeway depending how (dis)likable the individual is, we all know this...it really is up to the individual to demonstrate competency/knowledge/understanding...anyone/everyone has opinions but they don't all have equal weight and kyrie's word outchea on subject matters beyond what's happening on that 94ft of hardwood is not respected

4.6 million followers. He has influence. And in this disinformation age and current climate in the US, it’s not wrong for a NBA reporter to ask him legitimate probing questions about his actions. His response shouldn’t be I’m not antisemitic or you’re dehumanizing me.

This is my thing, Kyrie has been intentional with These controversial comments before & stood behind them. Promoting this film doesn't equate to I stand by everything in this film, Someone could just as easily look up those concepts/conspiracies & learn why they are considered antisemetic or false.

But society today has a weird obsession with making the decisions & judgements for you, As if people can't take in information with discernment & separate things they do or don't agree with. He can come out & say something similar & it will mean nothing,

Because it's not about hearing him out & dialog, it's about making him "pay" publicly, like it is with most black celebs the second they don't do what's favored by the masses. They DGAF what Kyrie has to say they just want him to apologize.

before the Covid stuff/ antisemitism stuff, i vividly remember how hard people went at him for the stupid *** flat earth comments. Something that has no day to day effect in our life, people really dissed him, called him a idiot & ridiculed him for that :lol:

It was clear as day, the idea of someone not agreeing with the popular thought of whatever may be being discussed REALLY irritates people.

4.6 million followers. He has influence. And in this disinformation age and current climate in the US, it’s not wrong for a NBA reporter to ask him legitimate probing questions about his actions. His response shouldn’t be I’m not antisemitic or you’re dehumanizing me.
He has to make it clear because if he does not, they will run with that narrative. These reporters are looking to make a name for themselves. I don't think Kyrie read the book and instead probably read a brief synopsis (that omits many of the details that were brought to light by persons who've already read the book) and tweeted it out. But before he could recognize what he really tweeted out, the backlash was swift.

Holding Lyor Cohen to account for decades of making millions and millions of dollars by promoting anti Black / minstrel show music containing various anti-Black tropes:

Chihuahua 2.jpg

Holding Kyrie Irving to account for an Instagram post about a movie / book called “Hebrews to Negroes: Wake Up Black America,” containing various anti -Semitic tropes:

chihahua 1.jpg

Ya'll are just as shut up & dribble as the right wingers that spew the same nonsense.

Whenever a black athletes opinion doesn't match yours suddenly their back to the trope of being uneducated & easily manipulated :lol: .

****** are always itching to fire off on another black man publicly :smh:

That’s lame of Shaq to call dude an idiot. :rofl: @ “some of us are conscious some of us are not I can tell he’s not conscious” Cmon man.

Because the reporter kept trying to make it seem like the rhetoric was coming from Kyrie himself because he tweeted a link:lol: He doesn’t have to be held accountable for every contributor or thought in a documentary just because he thought a portion of it was informative or interesting.

Holding Lyor Cohen to account for decades of making millions and millions of dollars by promoting anti Black / minstrel show music containing various anti-Black tropes:

Chihuahua 2.jpg

Holding Kyrie Irving to account for an Instagram post about a movie / book called “Hebrews to Negroes: Wake Up Black America,” containing various anti -Semitic tropes:

chihahua 1.jpg

exec notice that people consume a certain type of music, exec is incentivized to find artist that make that type of music , isn't this capitalism (even down to the marginalization of the producers of the thing that is to be consumed/sold)? i mean, to my knowledge, lyor wasn't in studio sessions giving lyrical/subject matter suggestions on what artists actually produce...artist are making music of their own accord, no?? or msaybe you subscribe to the idea that there is a cabal of execs that dictate what content is in the music? is lyor solely responsible for the 'predatory' structure of the entertainment/music industry? i don't think it quite works the same these days, but my understanding is much of why the music industry specifically was structured so unfavorably for artists was because of the investment put into signed artists such that most artists were loss leaders, or at least that was the story they were telling...

Because the reporter kept trying to make it seem like the rhetoric was coming from Kyrie himself because he tweeted a link:lol: He doesn’t have to be held accountable for every contributor or thought in a documentary just because he thought a portion of it was informative or interesting.

while i don't think kyrie is "an idiot" it doesn't appear he has any care to actually think about the interaction with foresight/insight to how it could play out or he if he does he mustn't care all that much of it...and one could reasonably posit that he doesn't have to, him being reasonably insulated by his celebrity & income such that the things he says (for the most part, tho the past off season was maybe an example of the negative perception of him) do not impact his potential to earn. he may be genuinely a curious individual but it isn't obvious that he actually goes to depths to understand the totality of the issues he is interested in

exec notice that people consume a certain type of music, exec is incentivized to find artist that make that type of music , isn't this capitalism (even down to the marginalization of the producers of the thing that is to be consumed/sold)? i mean, to my knowledge, lyor wasn't in studio sessions giving lyrical/subject matter suggestions on what artists actually produce...artist are making music of their own accord, no?? or msaybe you subscribe to the idea that there is a cabal of execs that dictate what content is in the music? is lyor solely responsible for the 'predatory' structure of the entertainment/music industry? i don't think it quite works the same these days, but my understanding is much of why the music industry specifically was structured so unfavorably for artists was because of the investment put into signed artists such that most artists were loss leaders, or at least that was the story they were telling...

Black folks notice everyone in the Bible is depicted as White, Black folks incentivized to do research on their own, isn't this common sense (especially considering the Bible was weaponized to make Black people subservient to White people and the Portuguese used the very same religion to justify enslaving Africans to be consumed / sold in the first place)? I mean to my knowledge, Kyrie Irving wasn't in the writers studio writing the book or in the production studio making the movie...the author wrote the book on his own accord no? Or Maybe you subscribe to the idea of a cabal of Black folks that dictate what other Black folks consume / believe? Is Kyrie Irving solely responsible for what was written in that book or shown in that movie? I don't think it works that way, but my understanding is the way the media is structured the value is in the headlines and not the actual story because the number of clicks and video clips drives profit margins regardless of the validity of the story or lack of logic in the questioning an NBA player about a subject that he never claimed to be an expert in.

Black folks notice everyone in the Bible is depicted as White, Black folks incentivized to do research on their own, isn't this common sense (especially considering the Bible was weaponized to make Black people subservient to White people and the Portuguese used the very same religion to justify enslaving Africans to be consumed / sold in the first place)? I mean to my knowledge, Kyrie Irving wasn't in the writers studio writing the book or in the production studio making the movie...the author wrote the book on his own accord no? Or Maybe you subscribe to the idea of a cabal of Black folks that dictate what other Black folks consume / believe? Is Kyrie Irving solely responsible for what was written in that book or shown in that movie? I don't think it works that way, but my understanding is the way the media is structured the value is in the headlines and not the actual story because the number of clicks and video clips drives profit margins regardless of the validity of the story or lack of logic in the questioning an NBA player about a subject that he never claimed to be an expert in.

plausibly rationale, i think the difference is that if this is the reasoning, kyrie should be able articulate it instead of playing victim…i don’t think the expectation is that he should be an expert but when you are a person of some influence & put something out into the world you should expect that there will be questions, or at least provide sufficient context if you are not willing to entertain that smoke with discourse…he is sort of throwing stones & then hiding his hands

plausibly rationale, i think the difference is that if this is the reasoning, kyrie should be able articulate it instead of playing victim…i don’t think the expectation is that he should be an expert but when you are a person of some influence & put something out into the world you should expect that there will be questions, or at least provide sufficient context if you are not willing to entertain that smoke with discourse…he is sort of throwing stones & then hiding his hands

Exact same thing applies to Cohen x1000000.

IJS

"Who is Dame Dash?!?!" "I don't know who Dame Dash is!" :smh: :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

Salute to Kev because at the very least he actually seems like he genuinely cares about the artist & not what they could sell for him, with that said it's more of not holding people accountable for their actions IMO

Back
Top Bottom